A&E Hd?

joecel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
Since the fire and the retransmission it seems to me that A&E is being broadcast is the less than glorious Stretch-O-Vision. Prior to the incident CSI Miami and some other programs would be broadcasted in HD. Is this correct, and if so and word on when if this will be corrected? Scott, any input?

They are not online yet again from Stamford. What A&Eis doing now is just upconverting its standard SD signal, this way cable and satellite companies have a signal. However nothing is being broadcast in HD at this time.

It may be 48 hours or longer before they are fully back online.

Yeah. I noticed this with a program on History channel. Stretch-o-vision is WORSE than a test pattern to me. Unlike the test pattern, stretch-o-vision is completely useless. I honestly cannot stomach a stretched picture for any length of time.

See ya
Tony

Thank you Tony,

I read and watch too much sci-fi. Was hoping there was an "unstretch" option as part of the E* remote "zoom" button.

Last edited:
In Swannis newsletter this morning. He said that the 4 hd channles that were knocked out because of a fire were now braodcasting back in hd. It was still strech o vision on my tv this morning.

It'll be easy to tell when A&E HD and History HD are back: you'll see bars all around (quicker than trying to read the logo although granted, it's pretty big).:)

=NLK=

I called both E* tech support AND A&E Networks in NY and both didn't have a clue about what I was talking about. It amazes me that they continue to function despite their ineptitude.

A&E and History HD are 2 channels I am avoiding until they stop stretching.

Absolutely. It's Sunday morning and they're still pulling this TNT cr*p. Do you have any idea how scary Kirstie Alley and Valerie Bertinelli look in Stretch-O-Vision?

Actually, A&EHD and HistoryHD make TNT-HD look like HDNet- at least TNT will regularly show movies and of course basketball in really good quality HD; I have yet to see more than the occasional HD show on A&E or History.

They probably figure stretch is what most people think HD is (look! it fills the screen). Why waste money and effort producing even HD-lite when the average viewer is as happy as a pig in you-know-what with this garbage?

The only advantage is that I'm now channel surfing more and have gained a much greater appreciation for some of the infomercials on GolTV! I've also managed to turn up My Little Margie, Ann Southern and Stu Erwin on Educator TV. :)

=NLK=

Looks like A&E HD is back on the air at HD rez (unless my drunken eyes are screwing with me). History still stretched.

A&E HD is still in stretch-ovision, unwatchable, usless to all but those that spend lots of money for the best possible picture and voluntarily distort the hell out of their picture to fill the screen.

See ya
Tony

OK, WTF was I watching earlier? Looked like OAR to me but sure enough, just checked (with even drunker eyes) and its stretched to hell and back. Sorry--false alarm.

On Saturday and Sunday it seemed that hd would alternate between the 3. ( NFL, A&E, History)I have seen hd on all three but not at the same time. When history and a&e did not have hd. It was streched.

A&E HD is still in stretch-ovision, unwatchable, usless to all but those that spend lots of money for the best possible picture and voluntarily distort the hell out of their picture to fill the screen.

I *have* to stretch the screen on my tv; as with many Plasma owners, I have a CRT RPTV and if I don't stretch 4:3 material, I'll get burn-in from the bars on the sides. I've already had this problem and it cost $700 to fix. Just one compromise for owning this type of display but I have become accostomed to it.

Now, with History HD, why in the world would they put letterboxed 16:9 on an HD channel? Why are they not stretching in the other direction, from top to bottom so the picture is in proper aspect? I like this channel but I'll get burn-in at the top and bottom of my screen if they keep this up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)