A&e Hd

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdl23

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I saw an annoucement on my local weather channel that A&E HD is being added in addtion to Fox Business Channel beginning 10/15.

Im a subscriber in MD and see the A&EHD as well as the Fox Business Network ch in the guide. You cant tune it in yet.

What a joke. DTV has announced so many more HD channels and VZ gives us one. And the big killer is still the dysfunctional favorites/guide/remote.

A&E HD works fine for me in Garland, Texas.

It didn't have any guide info on my TivoHD, but it was playing something. :)

I will note that I think DirectTV's claims may be a bit untrue. Perhaps they are counting all their local HD channels. :)

Brad

Go to their website and you'll see for yourself... and drool like I am for more HD!!!

Trimmed the trees today for Directv sat... I'm getting close to dumping FIOS with the smell of fresh HD grass. One new HD channel? That's it? Wowee.

DTV has announced so many more HD channels and VZ gives us one. And the big killer is still the dysfunctional favorites/guide/remote.

You have to be careful about that. Most of the new HD channels coming from DTV are locals, not national networks. Any one subscriber would only get a small number of those 70.

The difference between marketing and lying is very slight!

You have to be careful about that. Most of the new HD channels coming from DTV are locals, not national networks. Any one subscriber would only get a small number of those 70.

Not so young Jedi,

D*'s HD rollout is composed mainly of national channels. The "locals" you speak of are RSNs. D* has something like 45 or slightly more national channels. Everyone gets the truly national HD channels. I think you can get RSNs as well, but the major league sports on those RSNs get blacked out if you're wathing it in another market. Subs. do in fact most of the new HD that's been launched.

The content on those channels is pretty weak, but they are national HD feeds. D*, to my knowledge, has launched no locals in hd during this recent expansion. I believe that those will come with the next satellite launch.

Interpertation of Regulation

It will be interesting to see how VZ interperets the Federal regulation against 'broadcasting' non-HD content after 2009. Since they technically are not 'broadcasting' will they comply with the new rules or continue converting channels to SD? Will we still get the line that "we are giving you x number of HD already"? HD is not a gift. We pay for it and it is available from the source. VZ should dump the SD channels in favor of the HD ones.

It is just so fraustrating watching them put kerosene into the sports cars tank! It just does not run the way it is supposed to when you do that.

Not true, here in NY I am currently getting 47 National channels, 4 Locals, 2 RSN and 8 PPV channels. There are other HD channels available in sports packages as well. Plus there are 14 National channels and 2 more RSN still scheduled to launch this year. So that would be 69 channels (not including PPV) in NY by the end of the year.

It will be interesting to see how VZ interperets the Federal regulation against 'broadcasting' non-HD content after 2009. Since they technically are not 'broadcasting' will they comply with the new rules or continue converting channels to SD? Will we still get the line that "we are giving you x number of HD already"? HD is not a gift. We pay for it and it is available from the source. VZ should dump the SD channels in favor of the HD ones.

It is just so fraustrating watching them put kerosene into the sports cars tank! It just does not run the way it is supposed to when you do that.

In FEB 2009, Nothing in terms if HD / SD will change when talking about the switch over from analog to digital.

HD = A Description of Resolution
Digital = a Method of transmission

What ever is in SD on the day before the analog cut off will be in SD on the day of the analog cutoff.

Why would I want to lose all the channels that are not HD just to meet some "all HD" mandate?

Though as noted above, the mandate is digital, not HD. :)

Brad

Why would I want to lose all the channels that are not HD just to meet some "all HD" mandate?

Though as noted above, the mandate is digital, not HD. :)

Brad

Well, I am not sure where you are coming from. It makes no sense to continue to transmit SD with HD available. Even with our HD reciever I can wath the HD channels on my SD television., so you really would not be loosing anything. In addition, some companies, like Best Buy, are not carrying analog televisions sets any longer. They are carrying sets capable od HD or SD content. SO, if you could get HD instead of SD why would you choose SD?

Well, I am not sure where you are coming from. It makes no sense to continue to transmit SD with HD available. Even with our HD reciever I can wath the HD channels on my SD television., so you really would not be loosing anything. In addition, some companies, like Best Buy, are not carrying analog televisions sets any longer. They are carrying sets capable od HD or SD content. SO, if you could get HD instead of SD why would you choose SD?

If the shows were identical you would have a point, just downres the signal....

But, I have noticed that Food Network shows a different lineup in HD than in SD. :(

I have not scoped all other channels, but I imagine they may be similar. Though your post seemed to imply you wanted ALL SD channels to cease, and many are not in HD now.

Brad