A&E Hd

http://www.hdfeedstreams.com/

A&E To Launch IN HD
April 7th, 2006

A&E Network announced Monday that it plans to launch a high-definition simulcast on Labor Day Weekend.

The network will preview the new hi-def service in June, but won’t introduce A&E HD as a 24/7 network until September, when it kicks things off with a CSI: Miami marathon.

“The summer preview of A&E HD will give our affiliates a taste of their favorite high-quality A&E entertainment in the sharp, high-resolution detail of HDTV,” said Abbe Raven, president and CEO, AETN. “We’re excited to bring our audience an unparalleled visual and sound adventure, and meet the demands of the rapidly growing HD demographic seeking a heightened television experience.”

No carriage has been negotiated for A&E HD, but the company said talks are ongoing with cable and satellite operators.

A&E sibling The History Channel will also be offered as an HD net sometime in 2007.

Excellent! We are just at the beginning of "mainstream" cable networks converting to HD. I predict in just a couple of years most of these networks (History, TLC, CNN, etc.) will have HD feeds. Afterall, analog broadcast goes dark in less than 2-1/2 years.

I just hope that Dish will be able to find the bandwidth and keep up while maintaining excellent pic quality (unlike the current shaky MPEG-4 stuff). If they can't, terrestrial cable and FIOS will eat them up.

noremac said:
Excellent! We are just at the beginning of "mainstream" cable networks converting to HD. I predict in just a couple of years most of these networks (History, TLC, CNN, etc.) will have HD feeds. Afterall, analog broadcast goes dark in less than 2-1/2 years.
You may very well be right ,but one has nothing to do with the other.
Analog OTA broadcasting going dark has 0 effect on channels that aren't analog OTA like the ones you mentioned.

noremac said:
I predict in just a couple of years most of these networks (History, TLC, CNN, etc.) will have HD feeds.
History Channel and The Military Channel are under the "Discovery" umbrella, which has an HD feed already. I've seen more than a few shows on the Military Channel that were excellent quality and I'm guessing were downconverted from HD video, not to mention The Road to Baghdad, which was in HD and shown on Discovery HD Theatre. As for TLC, isn't Trading Spaces a TLC show ?? It's definitely done in HD and shown on Discovery HD Theatre.
Afterall, analog broadcast goes dark in less than 2-1/2 years.
The channels listed above are not over-the-air broadcasts so they're 100% unaffected by the topic (that you've misunderstood).

Re: Mainstream cable companies going hd:

According to the link that intrac provides above,

The History Channel HD - broadcasting 1080i
Expect to see the HD version early 2007 or late 2007, according to AETN executive vice president of distribution David Zagin.

dslate69 said:
Analog OTA broadcasting going dark has 0 effect on channels that aren't analog OTA like the ones you mentioned.
Yeah, I know. Been keeping up with digital TV for a few years now. ;)

The point was that the American television audience is going to quickly become immersed in ATSC broadcasts, most of which will be HD. The sales of ATSC-ready sets are already skyrocketing and FCC manufacturer requirements are driving that. There will be a resulting expectation that all networks, including the major cable ones, will have to deliver HD feeds to remain competitive.

And in 5-7 years when DTV/HD is really the expected norm, and 80% of cable networks are feeding HD, and all OTA is HD, what will Dish's business plan look like? How the heck can they feed all the LIL's as well as national cable networks in HD? They won't have close to enough bandwidth.

noremac said:
Yeah, I know. Been keeping up with digital TV for a few years now. ;)

The point was that the American television audience is going to quickly become immersed in ATSC broadcasts, most of which will be HD. The sales of ATSC-ready sets are already skyrocketing and FCC manufacturer requirements are driving that. There will be a resulting expectation that all networks, including the major cable ones, will have to deliver HD feeds to remain competitive.

And in 5-7 years when DTV/HD is really the expected norm, and 80% of cable networks are feeding HD, and all OTA is HD, what will Dish's business plan look like? How the heck can they feed all the LIL's as well as national cable networks in HD? They won't have close to enough bandwidth.
Well I believe in 5-7 years we will be swimming in HD. But when Analog OTA goes dark we will see Digital channels OTA not HD channels OTA. With 90% of the programing still in SD on OTA HD channels now, I believe the switch to digital will be just that; not a switch from 4:3 to 16:9. All the independent channels will still be showing Seinfeld and Andy Griffith in SD.
My crystal ball says that what will get all the Cable channels switching to HD is when they start losing ratings to HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts