A few important questions about Dish Network

HaVoCxRUSH

Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
We just got it a few months ago after moving from my mothers place. She had digital cable, we just got Dish Network here.
I have a few very important questions about it though as Im having a bit of trouble doing my most important of things with it.

1: Subtitles. Nowhere in this DVRs menu is the option to enable subtitles for my tv. I lost the orignal remote ages ago, and no universal remote to date has allowed me to access the menu for the tv itself.
Our cable box back home had subtitles directly from the DVRs menu, on here, cant find where it is.

2: On demand. So Im browsing through the on demand stuff, and cant find the stuff Im used to, like music videos on demand, free movies on demand from the channels I get like hbo, stars, etc. I know I have on demand with dish, and these features are very important to me, how do I access them? Im not paying to watch my movies. On demand not pay per view.

3: This DVR is hooked to two sets. If I try to record a program and watch another at the same time, it tries to record the program on the first tv, my fiances mothers tv, which causes alot of anger and frustration. Before I could watch tv and record a program, or record two programs at once, on each tv the DVR was hooked to. Do I have something hooked up wrong on this box, as if this feature isnt fully usable how id wish, the whole setup is f'ing pointless.

Sounds like you bought by shopping the internet and never asking about your desires. You seem to have assumed that functions were there that aren't available. Now that you are in an 18month contract you will have to accept the service you contracted for or bite the bullet, pay the cancellation fee and get the Digital Cable service you really wanted.

Thats just the problem. Digital Cable wasnt available in the area, but the 3 for $99 deal was (telephone, internet, dish)

I saw "on demand" and "dvr" why would I think it would function any differently? And not being able to turn on subs? Thats should be a fully expected and given simple feature.

first problem. you live in the same house with a woman you're not married to AND her mother. :D

solve that and the rest of it will be ok

1) Subtitles ?? Do you mean closed captioning ?? My Dish DVR supports it.... Of course, you didn't list what you have, so....

2) Dish's "on demand" stuff does pale sorely compared to cable on-demand options. In fact, they don't compare, at least to what I had available from Time Warner. In my case, I rarely ever used it, so there's no loss for me.

3) Put the DVR into "Single mode" and disconnect it from TV2 and it will function like your dual-tuner DVR that you had before.

If you have a model 522 from the main menu select Preferences 8, and then Record Plus 6. There you can elect to have the 522 select either TV1 or TV2 by default when you create a timer. If you decide to record the show you are watching you will be given the option to have it recorded by tv1 or tv2's tuner.

As to your mother in law, if she is the third viewer you may just want to get a base model sat receiver for 5 more dollars a month just for her, presuming you have suitable lnbs and switches. If you want to go that route, a lot of folks here will walk you through finding out what you need and how to hook it up.

as mentioned, sounds like you signed up for something without shopping to find out what the product actually did.
As far as the closed captioning, that is a function that is supported by the receiver, but you have to turn it on on the tv itself.

on-demand on any satellite service sucks, they dont exactly have the bandwidth that cable services have

satellite recievers can only watch as many channels at one time as there are tuners. the "dual tuner" receivers have 2 tuners, thus two channels can be tuned in at one time, wether you watch one and someone else watched the other, or you record one and watch the other...