a few questions about the Edision OS MIO 4K

Brct203

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Connecticut
I recently broke the piggy bank and bought the Edision receiver from Bryan. As usual, top notch service, the receiver was delivered in under 48 hours!

I am totally new to Linux-based receivers, and did expect a bit of a learning curve, and there it is... I'm learning new stuff everyday. I did manage to figure out the essentials without much difficulties, and got most satellites scanned in.

There are however a few points that i'm struggling with:

- A few transponders were not detected in blind scans. I know that happens on other receivers too, including on my trusted Amiko Mini HDre. On the Edision, I had to manually enter the NBC transponder on 12080H on 103 Ku, and also the CCTV tp on 55.5W C-band. No big deal, but was wondering if others had similar experiences

- I can't seem to scan in the content of the HIP TV transponder on 37.5W. It's a narrow transponder, and takes about 10 seconds to lock. That's too long and the service scan quits before that. Is there a way to increase the time out on scans? Not that I watch HIP TV, but still...

- I can't lock on the CRI transponder on 45W Ku. Now the SR is 990, so it is below the 1000 lower limit. However the Amiko is able to do it, if I enter the SR as 1000.

- Is there a way to measure the CNR of a signal that is too weak to lock? I know this is no spectrum analyzer, but would be nice, particularly on those TPs that are "almost there"

- I tried the SDR plugin with my RTL-SDR dongle. Worked great on FM stations. Does anyone know of a plugin that would allow the spectrum display like in SDR#? That would be a great way of displaying the satellite beacons.

- Is there a tutorial that you would recommend for general guidance on Enigma2? I'm still struggling with basic stuff like navigating between satellites. I'm able to do it but it seems abnormaly complex (right arrow, then green button, then select the sat)

- The receiver came preloaded with SatDreamGr TNAP. I see some of you are running other images, such as Open PLI and Open VIX. I understand that SatDreamGr is a bit more user-friendly, but am I missing out on technical capabilities by not using other images?

- is there a way to require authentication when connecting from a PC? My work PC has a policy that does not let it connect to open (anonymous access) shares, as a security measure.

- Has anyone been able to tune into the MoodMusic channels on 103 Ku? I have been able to add a few, and they work fine, but the receiver complains that the "SID is not found in the PAT". Is there a way to avoid this error message?

Thanks all in advance!

The NA SDGR image is just a stripped-down version of the normal SDGR. It doesn't automatically update, and is a good starter image. I suggest you stay with it for a while, until you get used to figuring out the menus and hidden menus, and other functions. Once you do that and feel like you want to, you can load other images into one of the other 3 slots and try them out. I suggest regular SatDreamGr, OpenPLI, and OpenVix.

As for requiring authentication for logging in, yes it's possible to do that fairly easily. I saw it in one of the menus, but I don't remember which one. I don't really recommend it as something to do for an everyday end-user as it makes things a hassle, even WebIF use. I also do NOT recommend leaving the receiver open to the outside internet, so you can log into it remotely from your office.

If there's any "tutorial" I'm unaware of it. However, there is this: OpenPLi Wiki

Reactions: Brct203
- A few transponders were not detected in blind scans. I know that happens on other receivers too, including on my trusted Amiko Mini HDre. On the Edision, I had to manually enter the NBC transponder on 12080H on 103 Ku, and also the CCTV tp on 55.5W C-band. No big deal, but was wondering if others had similar experiences
I also had to add 12080 on 103W, but 55.5 is below my horizon. :(

- I can't seem to scan in the content of the HIP TV transponder on 37.5W. It's a narrow transponder, and takes about 10 seconds to lock. That's too long and the service scan quits before that. Is there a way to increase the time out on scans? Not that I watch HIP TV, but still...
Below my horizon. :(

- I can't lock on the CRI transponder on 45W Ku. Now the SR is 990, so it is below the 1000 lower limit. However the Amiko is able to do it, if I enter the SR as 1000.
Below my horizon. :( The NPR audio services are under 1000 SR and blindscan/lock with no problem.

- Is there a way to measure the CNR of a signal that is too weak to lock? I know this is no spectrum analyzer, but would be nice, particularly on those TPs that are "almost there"
No, the SNR only displays when the signal is locked. That would be nice!

- I tried the SDR plugin with my RTL-SDR dongle. Worked great on FM stations. Does anyone know of a plugin that would allow the spectrum display like in SDR#? That would be a great way of displaying the satellite beacons.
Talked with the developer of the plugin and was told that they were a newbie for SDR integration. Indicated that existing linux code and functions could be implemented by someone with Linux skills. Anyone? :)

- Is there a tutorial that you would recommend for general guidance on Enigma2? I'm still struggling with basic stuff like navigating between satellites. I'm able to do it but it seems abnormaly complex (right arrow, then green button, then select the sat)
Agree that the OpenPLI Wiki is the best resource out there for OpenPLI based images (such as SatdreamGR or the modded TNAP). In TNAP, I select satellites : Green button 2 presses, select target satellite, OK.

- The receiver came preloaded with SatDreamGr TNAP. I see some of you are running other images, such as Open PLI and Open VIX. I understand that SatDreamGr is a bit more user-friendly, but am I missing out on technical capabilities by not using other images?

If you wish to install plugins, need to use the latest images for compatibility. I would definately recommend that you install a few other images in the empty multiboot slots and try a few different skins. You might find a GUI that you prefer over the starter TNAP. If you just use the STB as a standard appliance receiver and enjoy The North American Project OS experience, no need to change anything! :)

- is there a way to require authentication when connecting from a PC? My work PC has a policy that does not let it connect to open (anonymous access) shares, as a security measure.
Menu>>> Setup>>> System>>> Customize>>> "Require authentication for http streams" ON.

- Has anyone been able to tune into the MoodMusic channels on 103 Ku? I have been able to add a few, and they work fine, but the receiver complains that the "SID is not found in the PAT". Is there a way to avoid this error message?
Yes, added them using the Dreambox Edit software. No error message. Attached the Mood service list from last month. There may be new changes. You can import this list and add to your current lamedb.

Attachments

• Mood_Music_103Ku.zip
    2 KB · Views: 308
Thanks all for the great advice!

I was able to import that Mood_Music list and it's working perfectly. (I was not sure how to import the lamedb, so i opened it in Dreambox Edit, exported the services to Excel-readable file, then opened the regular database and imported that file. Might be a bit convoluted, but it worked!). BTW, I think the setting that appears to make the error go away is the "P" flag.

The NPR audio services are under 1000 SR and blindscan/lock with no problem.
where is that one? I am able to get the NPR mux on 91W Ku but its SR is 2000 if I remember correctly.

I also do NOT recommend leaving the receiver open to the outside internet, so you can log into it remotely from your office.
totally agree. I connect only from the home network.

I really like this receiver. It's very capable and it's challenging me to learn new concepts, etc.

update... I was able to scan in HIP TV on 37.5W. I had to use Signal Finder and enter the frequency one MHz lower than it's usual frequency, and with that it locked quicker, quick enough to lock before the timeout.

I was also able to scan in the radio mux on 103W that was discussed in another thread.

However, now I'm having some strange problems. The receiver seems to be unresponsive to the remote at times. It will react normally to a few remote clicks, and then nothing for a few seconds, and then jump 10-12 lines in the menu. If I observe the CPU utilization in the overlay, it seems to show some random but frequent peaks at 100% on one core at a time. Even when playing a radio station, which I would expect to be a lot less CPU-intensive that video.

Another strange thing is that since yesterday, it will no longer display the SNR in dB, only in percentage, regardless of what I chose in the configuration menu

BTW this is on SatDreamGr TNAP.

any suggestion? Rebooting does not seem to help. I deleted the 2800 or so radio station from 105W, and it improved things slightly, but still acting strange. And a few days ago it was fine despite having all those radio stations.

The number of services will have no effect. No way we would ever use even a fraction of the available allocation.

Sometimes a scan of something odd or a file handle with a STB will result in a memory hiccup. Do a restore to a recent auto back-up. Hopefully, this has a very recent save so sevice data is not lost.

"Rebooting doesn't work".

Have you just tried to restart Enigma? I've had that fix things when a full reboot didn't. Not sure why, but you never know.

Also, are you SURE you haven't made any changes to the receiver settings just before the oddness started?

"Rebooting doesn't work".

Have you just tried to restart Enigma? I've had that fix things when a full reboot didn't. Not sure why, but you never know.

Also, are you SURE you haven't made any changes to the receiver settings just before the oddness started?
I can't think of any recent change, other than scanning in the radio channels on 103W and scanning in a few other sats. I've been playing a bit with OpenWebif, but did not change any settings other than setting the refresh to 2 sec in a session. Well, I now reverted that change to not refresh automatically, but the problem persists (but maybe not as bad)

How do you restart Enigma only? I'm not seeing such option in the restart menu.

Brian, talking about backup, I took a few backups using the plugin that came pre-installed. I did not see an option to make it automatic. Also, i'm not sure how to restore. I see one option is "Run Flash" but then it gives a warning an nothing seems to be happening and there's no option to approve the restore or anything like that. Is there a better way to backup/restore? I'm actually willing to do a factory reset if that's what it takes, i've had the box for only a few weeks and i'm still learning, so it's not like I have lots of custom settings. I also have the channel list in DreamBoxEdit on my PC, if necessary.

Thanks guys for the help!

I'm running SatDreamGr TNAP... In Menu, Standby/Restart, I see :
- Sleep Timer
- Restart
- Multiboot
- Deep Standby

is that "Restart" specifically for Enigma? If so, I've already tried that. no luck

Also I just turned the box off (using the remote power button), and pulled the plug for a few seconds, and booted up, and it's still the same

One thing I noticed is that when i first pressed the ok button to show the overlay, it looks like it showed the SNR in dB for a fraction of a second and than switched to percentage

Reactions: N5XZS
I'm running SatDreamGr TNAP... In Menu, Standby/Restart, I see :
- Sleep Timer
- Restart
- Multiboot
- Deep Standby

is that "Restart" specifically for Enigma? If so, I've already tried that. no luck

Also I just turned the box off (using the remote power button), and pulled the plug for a few seconds, and booted up, and it's still the same

One thing I noticed is that when i first pressed the ok button to show the overlay, it looks like it showed the SNR in dB for a fraction of a second and than switched to percentage

While in there looking at your few choices, hit the BLUE button. It'll show you hidden stuff. Make sure Restart Enigma is UNhidden. Just highlight the different lines, and hit the YELLOW button to "Show", then hit the Green button to "Save Changes".

ok, some progress... Thanks Mike for the guidance about the hidden menu - I was not aware of that. Restarting Enigma did not resolve it. However I found that if I unplugged the network cable, the CPU would calm down and the box would respond normally to the remote. I checked my computers and found that:
- dreamBoxEdit was open on my laptop
- File Manager (which has a network shortcut to /root on osmio4k) was running on my Ubuntu PC. I had used it to copy some XML files from the /tmp folder after some blind scans.

I closed those 2 things and now I no longer get the CPU spikes and the box is responsive even with the network cable plugged in

However, the SNR is still displayed in % rather than in dB. I tried to toggle the option back and forth in the config menu, but it's still stubbornly showing percentages. I noticed that if I go to Signal Finder, on top of the SNR bargraph, where it normally shows the dB level, it shows dB at first, and switches to % the moment the tuner locks on the signal... Weird, right?

well, I figured out how to restore from backup, reverted to the backup I took on May 23 and now it's back to displaying in dB. Still I have no clue about the root cause.

Now, about the backup/restore, after I select the backup I want to restore from, the only forward option is Green "Run Flash", and it gives a warning, and no forward option. Clicking on Green again worked. Then It's saying it's not finding the Kernel file, but that it might still work. I know there's a Kernel file in the backup, just with a different extension. In any case it appears that it worked fine.

thanks again Mike and Brian for the support!

Last edited:
I really think you might be happier with a different image. Personally, I've tried them all and prefer OpenVix. It's feature rich, stable, and updated frequently (sometimes several times a week). It's also more customizable and allows a 12-hour clock display.

TNAP is good for beginners but I find all the colors and menus to be "busy" and distracting.

I really think you might be happier with a different image. Personally, I've tried them all and prefer OpenVix. It's feature rich, stable, and updated frequently (sometimes several times a week). It's also more customizable and allows a 12-hour clock display.

TNAP is good for beginners but I find all the colors and menus to be "busy" and distracting.
I have not tried the other images yet, but am indeed planning on trying OpenVix. I've like what i've read about it. I also think the default skin is a bit too busy. I tried the other preinstalled skins in SatDreamGr and didn't like them much. As for the time display, I grew up in Europe so I actually find the 24-hr display more natural (just my personal preference).

a few more questions...
- Is there a way to define a custom LNB type, beyond the "user defined" LNB? The reason is that the User defined template appears to make some assumption, for example that both mixers work the same way (Transponder Frequency-LO=IF as in typical Ku, or LO-Transponder=IF as in typical C-Band). The reason I'm asking is that I have a couple of stacked Ku LNBs on some DN Superdish, and I'm not seeing a suitable option other than treating it as a standard LNB and calculating Horizontal TP frequencies by hand.

- I have customized the satellites.xml in /etc/enigma2. It's working well. I edited some satellite names and added a few entries/removed a few others. It's working well, but I noticed that when I watch a channel and display its properties, the satellite name still shows the old name. Does that mean that it's pulling the name from the satellites.xml that's in /etc/tuxbox (which I have not touched)? Or that it stores the satellite name with the channel in the database when it's scanned, and that rescanning would resolve it?

i'm still running the TNAP image that came with the receiver

Thanks!

For unicable LNBs, use a SCR (Single Cable Reception) LNB type setting. I have never tested, but there is a good description on the OpenPLI Wiki.

From what I have read, it is best not to rename satellites because of the way the satellites, transponders and services are indexed and associated.

For unicable LNBs, use a SCR (Single Cable Reception) LNB type setting. I have never tested, but there is a good description on the OpenPLI Wiki.

From what I have read, it is best not to rename satellites because of the way the satellites, transponders and services are indexed and associated.
Thanks Brian for the advice about the SCR - I'll look into that. I don't remember seeing such option on the TNAP image though, just standard 5150 C-Band, standard 10750 Ku and universal Ku.

about the satellite list, is it a problem if I add satellites between the existing ones? For example I have a small fixed dish on 34.5W Ku, for convenience of always having that reception on both receivers, but then if the weather gets rainy, that reception fades away, and I like having the option of using the BUD to receive it. So I have an entry for Int 35e using the BUD Ku LNBF, and another Int 35e fixed using the LNBF on the small dish. I do the same for 123W, 97W, 87W and 125W. Of course I enter those satellites with a different orbital slot value (off by 0.1 degree). Do you think that would cause problems too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)