A few questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sw1tchfoot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
USA
Hello, I just have a few questions.

1. I currently have a Pansat 3500SD+, would upgrading to a more expensive receiver allow me to get more channels?

2. When looking at the Lynsat website looking at names of different channels, I see that there are many channels that I don't pick up. Just for an example; Galaxy 17 at 91W shows channels that I am interested in such as The CW, FX West/East, and the Fox Movie channel and more; which are all on the Lynsat "Free TV" list. Yet when I do a "Smart Search" I only pick up a few channels such as Do these have to be programmed in manually or something?

3. Additionally, I see channels that are labeled as "DVB-S2" does this mean they are encryped and you have to pay to watch them?

4. And last I see channels that say MPEG-4 next to them, if I remember correctly my receiver says it's an MPEG-2 unit. Does this mean that my unit won't be able to pick them up?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

1. yes. Your receiver gets MPEG2 SD only channels. There are MPEG4, MPEG2 HD, MPEG4 HD, DVB-S2 and 4:2:2. An azbox gets all of them. Sathawk/Openbox gets all but 4:2:2
2. Do you have KU only? Those are all C-Band that you described
3. DVB-S2 is another way to broadcast. The Pansat wont get them but a receiver that can receive DVB-S2 can. Some are scrambled, some are free
4. correct. They will pick them up but will show probably as a radio channel because it cant figure out the video info. My Coolsat 5000 is the same way

no dumb questions ;)

Hello, I just have a few questions.

1. I currently have a Pansat 3500SD+, would upgrading to a more expensive receiver allow me to get more channels?

2. When looking at the Lynsat website looking at names of different channels, I see that there are many channels that I don't pick up. Just for an example; Galaxy 17 at 91W shows channels that I am interested in such as The CW, FX West/East, and the Fox Movie channel and more; which are all on the Lynsat "Free TV" list. Yet when I do a "Smart Search" I only pick up a few channels such as Do these have to be programmed in manually or something?

3. Additionally, I see channels that are labeled as "DVB-S2" does this mean they are encryped and you have to pay to watch them?

4. And last I see channels that say MPEG-4 next to them, if I remember correctly my receiver says it's an MPEG-2 unit. Does this mean that my unit won't be able to pick them up?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

1.) Your Pansat is a DVB-S, 4:2:0 MPEG-2 receiver, a newer receiver with DVB-S2 capability would allow you to get some more channels. There are quite a few DVB-S2 channels now and more all the time.

2.) Some of the channels you mentioned are C-band, do you have a BUD or are you Ku-only? Also, Lyngsat is not always current with it's info. I think the CWs may require manual entry.

3.) DVB-S2 does not mean encrypted, it is a newer modulation(?) type, and requires a DVB-S2 capable (Openbox S9 & AzBox are a couple of examples) receiver to view.

4.) Correct, you will not be able to view MPEG-4 signals with your Pansat.

No dumb questions here!

edit: Ha, Iceberg beat me to the punch!

Thanks for the replys, that answered my questions perfectly.

I don't know if i'm KU only or not. I have a SNH031 Invacom LNBF and a 90CM Ariza Satellite dish along with the Pansat.

SNH031 Invacom is Ku only, (All freqs that you get are 5 digit) And a 90cm dish is quite small for C band, (where the freq is 4 digits). For these, it's recommended to use a minimum of a six foot dish.

If I had to pick between upgrading my receiver and upgrading to a bigger dish/C Band/Ku LNBF would the addition of C Band get me the most extra channels?

I'm looking to upgrade something due to the lack of American channels.

If I had to pick between upgrading my receiver and upgrading to a bigger dish/C Band/Ku LNBF would the addition of C Band get me the most extra channels?

I'm looking to upgrade something due to the lack of American channels.

Personally, I think you might be more pleased to start off with upgrading to C-Band, while retaining your current Ku-Band. Down the road, you can upgrade your receiver to something like an AZBox, SatHawk or OpenBox, etc. You will probably eventually want both, but with your current receiver, you should be able to get quite a few really nice C-Band channels if you get a really good C-Band dish and dish mover. I would not skimp on the C-Band dish and motor, though. Get a really good system.

I guess it depends upon how much money you are willing or able to part with. If you could upgrade both, the receiver and the dish, too... Well, that would be a luxury. Use your own judgement here. If you can afford it, by all means, do both.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)