Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Tonight after a technical glitch at the beginning with our Blog Talk Radio service, we had an amazing show and were lucky enough to have Vivek Khemka from DISH as our guest on Satellite Nation!

Vivek was gracious enough to take some calls from our listeners and answer their technical questions, and Vivek surprised our listeners with a couple of bombshell Hopper announcements!

The first big announcement should be big news for our members who have two Hoppers, as shortly new software will be available which will allow timers to be set between Hoppers. Meaning that if all timers are in use on one Hopper and a recording is scheduled, instead of taking you away from the show you're watching to record the timer, the timer is recorded on the second Hopper. Vivek said this happens all seamlessly without you having to do anything!

The second big announcement is soon there will be a Bluetooth Module available which you can plug into your Joey and then you can enjoy Bluetooth Audio on your Joeys just like you can now on your Hopper. As Vivek mentioned this I seem to remember one of our members suggesting this earlier in the year.

He then announced a new App will be coming to the Hopper platform.For those who remember MTV remember when they played Music Videos, well now you can relive MTV's Glory Days (or at least pretend its MTV from years gone by) with the addition of the Vevo Music Service (http://www.vevo.com)

He also mentioned that at Team Summit they showed off a 4K Joey.

So 4 big announcements from Vivek!

Thanks Vivek for coming on with us and giving us a tiny look at what the future holds from DISH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add, if I understood it correctly, when the second Hopper is used to make a recording, you get a link to that on the first Hopper, the one you originally set the recording on.

The first big announcement should be big news for our members who have two Hoppers, as shortly new software will be available which will allow timers to be set between Hoppers. Meaning that if all timers are in use on one Hopper and a recording is scheduled instead of taking you away from the show your watching to record the timer, the timer is recorded on the second Hopper. Vivek said this happens all seamlessly without you having to do anything!
I hope there's a way to opt out of this seamless part since we've become used to having the hoppers separate. The shared recordings is enough for us now. I wouldn't want one hopper to start hijacking tuners on another hopper.

I hope there's a way to opt out of this seamless part since we've become used to having the hoppers separate. The shared recordings is enough for us now. I wouldn't want one hopper to start hijacking tuners on another hopper.

Agreed!

As long as recordings from my wife's Hopper don't clutter up my Hopper's DVR listings, I can live with it until I can't record something because she's recording 5 things at the same time.

This thread makes me laugh. When the Hopper came out all we heard was people complaining about how two Hoppers were not fully integrated. Then all they wanted was to as least be able to handle timers on for both Hoppers. Now that Dish is finally listening we still get people complaining. It's impossible to make everyone happy. :rolleyes:

This thread makes me laugh. When the Hopper came out all we heard was people complaining about how two Hoppers were not fully integrated. Then all they wanted was to as least be able to handle timers on for both Hoppers. Now that Dish is finally listening we still get people complaining. It's impossible to make everyone happy. :rolleyes:

It's called OPTIONS...

As long as recordings from my wife's Hopper don't clutter up my Hopper's DVR listings, I can live with it until I can't record something because she's recording 5 things at the same time.

Do you and your wife ever watch tv together? How many people have more than 1 Hopper. Just the guys on the forum or is this a nationwide thing.

My wife bitched when I took her cable box away and replaced it with a DVR. Then she bitched when I replaced the DVR with an HR-21. Then she bitched when I replaced the HR-21 with an HR-24. Then she bitched when I replaced the HR-24 with a VIP722K. Then she bitched when I replaced the 722K with a Hopper 2K. She hasn't bitched for more than 2 years now but if my Hopper ever steals one of her timers it's gonna be bitchin' time again. Please Dish, make timer sharing optional for my peace and quiet.

Reactions: gdarwin
if Dish were offering seamless integration like with a Super Joey, it would be more compelling (that's actually what we were expecting at launch).

If it's just some halfway system that might hijack tuners on the other hopper and drive everyone in the house crazy, then yeah I'd at least want a way to opt out. At this stage, i'm not even sure I see the point of this update as competitors like Verizon are coming up with six tuner DVRs that will all be in one box seamlessly integrated...

Last edited:
The second big announcement is soon there will be a Bluetooth Module available which you can plug into your Joey and then you can enjoy Bluetooth Audio on your Joeys just like you can now on your Hopper. As Vivek mentioned this I seem to remember one of our members suggesting this earlier in the year.
I like the BT Audio option for Joeys, which are usually installed in bedrooms. Whoever originally suggested that must be very smart...and handsome...and funny...and brave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts