A full HD question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwg9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
While away from home for 3 weeks, my ViP612’s DVR filled up with programming and stopped recording. Now, even after viewing and erasing some programs for space, I’m getting no signal, so the Program Guide won’t download.

I’ve gone over the usual check list online with a Dish tech (obstructions, misalignment, etc.) without a solution to my no signal problem, so I hope someone here with practical experience can help me. I live in rural Alaska where the Dish tech must travel 190 miles for a service call, so I hope to fix this myself if possible.

On the switch test, the DPP33 shows everything OK (green), but on the diagnostic screen I get red X’s for all 3 satellites (110 on 1 dish, 119 and 129 on a dual dish). I’ve tried many both soft and hard resets.

Since everything worked fine until the HD filled up, I’m wondering what mechanism (software I assume) Dish uses to shut the system down, and what must be done to reset the 612. I vaguely remember a discussion years ago about the weird things that can happen with a full HD, but a quick search here didn’t find that thread.

Any suggestions?

I don't believe the 2 are related. It sounds like a dish, switch, or cable problem.

I'd try a check switch test, if all fails bypass the switch and try either of the dishes and do another test. To me it sounds like the switch failed with losing all 3 satellites or a cable issue.

I've done the switch test numerous times and everything shows green. But I remember a Dish tech once saying that if it starts doing a "1 of 38" test it usually is the switch--any truth to that?

I've done the switch test numerous times and everything shows green. But I remember a Dish tech once saying that if it starts doing a "1 of 38" test it usually is the switch--any truth to that?

Yes 1 of 38 is not a good sign, should be like 1 of 3. Try bypassing the switch.

Stardust3, you were right--I bypassed the switch and now am able to receive programming off of 119. Guess I need to order a new DPP33...

But just out of curiosity, does anyone know how a full HD shuts the receiver off?

Reactions: stardust3
Now would be a good time to go to the list http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/

You can figure out what channels you'll need and what satellite they're on. Then hook up the appropriate satellite till you get a replacement switch.

But just out of curiosity, does anyone know how a full HD shuts the receiver off?

That's a good question. If recordings are protected it would not allow anymore recording. The only thing I can think of is the hard drive may be on the blink if receiver is shutting off. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Thanks for your help--I'm now trying to determine which one satellite to remain hooked to that will provide the most programming that I usually watch. Or back to the manual TV channel switching of old, except this time I would be switching cables outside!

Reactions: stardust3
The hard drive being full and the unit not working are unrelated in this case. Unless you specifically told each timer to protect the recording, the 612 will just start recording over the oldest recordings automatically when its full. Even when the hard drive is full of recordings, it reserves about 1/4 of the space of the drive for the playback buffer (pause live TV) and for use by Dish to push on demand stuff and promotional videos.

In this case it was just a coincidence that your DPP33 apparently blew up while you were on vacation.

Reactions: mwg9 and stardust3
Thanks TNGTony for the explanation! I was equating the date of the last recording with the system shutdown, when in fact the receiver probably had been recording over earlier programming before that.

It seems very odd that the check switch would show good reception on all satellites yet the diagnostic screen shows no reception (red x). If it was a bad switch, I would expect both to show the same status.

Another thing you might try is to pull the cable from the dish off the back of the receiver and run the check switch again, power cycle the receiver and reconnect the cable from the dish and run check switch and diagnostics again. As many have reported here, running check switch with no dish connected clears the "switch matrix" so the next check switch can start from scratch.

Reactions: TNGTony
You make a good point, and the all green switch test caused me to discount the DPP33 as the problem. I did as you suggested, running the test without being connected to the dish, recycled, and now it says I have no signals into Tuner 1 or 2. I'm retesting now, but I think it's safe to say the DPP33 is the problem. Only thing I can think of for getting all green tests was that it was showing me the pre-crash test.

Reactions: TNGTony and Tampa8
You make a good point, and the all green switch test caused me to discount the DPP33 as the problem. I did as you suggested, running the test without being connected to the dish, recycled, and now it says I have no signals into Tuner 1 or 2. I'm retesting now, but I think it's safe to say the DPP33 is the problem. Only thing I can think of for getting all green tests was that it was showing me the pre-crash test.
That does point to the DPP33. To rule out the LNBs, connect each one at a time to the cable going to the receiver and run a check switch. If each satellite is received properly, then it's definitely the switch.

There are three outputs from the DPP33 so the one you are not currently using might pass all three satellites to one tuner until you can get a replacement.

Reactions: mwg9
What a brilliant suggestion! I switched to the unused output on the DPP33 and everything works like before! All 3 satellites and a complete Program Guide. Thanks, and the replacement switch has been already ordered.

Now if only we could somehow transfer the collective knowledge from this forum to the Dish techs...

"Now if only we could somehow transfer the collective knowledge from this forum to the Dish techs..."

Maybe I should clarify that statement--I don't want to disparage any of the field techs on this forum who have actual hands-on knowledge--I'm referring to the phone/chat techs who only know how to follow a scripted diagnostic tree and don't have a clue when you ask them a question. Or maybe my experience with them isn't typical...

There is a large number of agents that know that they are doing but the problem is they tend to be the ones that just want to do their job and go home. Because of this, they take more time with their customers, creating a larger demand for reps. Then Dish dilutes the numbers and these people and there are now more people who don't know what they are doing collecting a paycheck. They also get raises, so the people that know what they are doing do not care to do their job as well, because it's not like they are getting raises worthy to match based on skill. Because they also take their time, their metrics are screwed and they miss out on bonuses that people who offer fake or temporary resolutions get to get as long as the customers don't call back within 72 hours... Basically, it's hard to offer a good support while looking at the numbers from a number cruncher point of view. Hands on is the only way that should be calculated. Also, these same agents, who really just wanted to solve the issue, get pissed when they are getting transfers from agents that don't make sense, because the agents could have done it them selves just by following the flow chart they have. The DIRT team is so good for a couple reasons. One, they are hand picked in Denver. Two, they have a different set of metrics to follow and it can seriously make their job enjoyable, and when folks help them out on the forums it makes their lives easier as well. So until Dish goes back to only promoting the worthy and tested, you will experience this BS.

Reactions: Bobby
Thanks--I suspected something similar to what you have outlined was the case; is there any way to skip over the front line techs and go to a Level 2 (or higher) tech? I hate going into the details of my problem only to realize that I know more than the person I'm talking to, only having to repeat it again to a person who may or may not understand the problem. But then again, why bother with Dish when there is such a wealth of knowledge here? (I promise to ask only difficult stuff!)

There is a large number of agents that know that they are doing but the problem is they tend to be the ones that just want to do their job and go home. Because of this, they take more time with their customers, creating a larger demand for reps. Then Dish dilutes the numbers and these people and there are now more people who don't know what they are doing collecting a paycheck. They also get raises, so the people that know what they are doing do not care to do their job as well, because it's not like they are getting raises worthy to match based on skill. Because they also take their time, their metrics are screwed and they miss out on bonuses that people who offer fake or temporary resolutions get to get as long as the customers don't call back within 72 hours... Basically, it's hard to offer a good support while looking at the numbers from a number cruncher point of view. Hands on is the only way that should be calculated. Also, these same agents, who really just wanted to solve the issue, get pissed when they are getting transfers from agents that don't make sense, because the agents could have done it them selves just by following the flow chart they have. The DIRT team is so good for a couple reasons. One, they are hand picked in Denver. Two, they have a different set of metrics to follow and it can seriously make their job enjoyable, and when folks help them out on the forums it makes their lives easier as well. So until Dish goes back to only promoting the worthy and tested, you will experience this BS.
You might want to submit a Readers Digest version of that one, Bud.:oldwink

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)