A fun question~ Is it possible?

vasaaric

Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
indiana
As my high end gaming computer is already the center of my integrated entertainment system, even having a high quallity 7.1 surround sound hooked up too it, Can I use my Computer as my Dish Reciever?

That was my question I asked and challenged Google with a little over an hour ago, and of course as all of you can guess, the answer was no. But not for the reasons some of you think. As it turns out, The Hardware is out there, specifically the AVerTV Duo Hybrid PCI-express desktop PC card. Legitimate Software for getting FTA Satellite to your computer, specifically mythTV is out there. Hell, if you really dig you can even find the software to pirate Dish signal, but that's not what I want. I want to be a paid, subscribed and legitimate customer. I just also want to have expert equipment built by me, instead of having to worry about Hopper software issues that are still being hammered out, or the ugly interface and "small" HD of the 722k. I also want a seamless interface for ALL my entertainment needs.

Don't get me wrong, I know the conventional answer of the issue of keycode issuing a "private encryption" tech being on the market, and thus easy to pirate. But really if you think about it, All DISH would have to do is issue a cloud software similar to EA's STEAM engine, and all of a sudden VOD, Blockbuster and Paperview, and a slew of other programs and products could be issued via internet and satellite safely and securely..

Just a fun idea, and I'm sure its coming. Just kinda wish It was here already.

The closest you can get to having Dish TV on your PC is Sling.

There are more ways to accomplish Dish TV on your PC actually. Again, using an integrated Video Capture card, you can take HDMI input through your computer. you will not be able to video Capture WITH your computer, as HDCP is an integrated hardware feature and can only be bipassed illegally. But for me right now, I could use a avermedia HD input adapter/Capture card, and using a HDMI cable and VLC Player, run my reciever into my Computer, and back to my TV, using a Soundblaster Audio card for HD audio use either directly connected or bluetooth speakers for 7.1, and have a home media system capable of being expandable, and doing much more than a typical STB and Audio reciever, for the same price as a high quallity onky reciever.

My question is, why do I have to go through all that trouble, when Dish could write a Cloud program to safely allow me to cut out the STB? Again, STEAM has a system for Video games to be purchased, and downloaded online, and not be transfered from computer to computer via cloud. Why can't dish use a similar system?

My question is, why do I have to go through all that trouble, when Dish could write a Cloud program to safely allow me to cut out the STB? Again, STEAM has a system for Video games to be purchased, and downloaded online, and not be transfered from computer to computer via cloud. Why can't dish use a similar system?

Dish will only activate their own receivers...simple as that

no matter how many times you ask the question the answer is the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts