A la Carte?

Do you want a la carte, what would you pay for it?

• I want a la carte and would pay much more than I am now

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I want a la carte and would pay a little more than I am now

Votes: 31 13.7%
  • I want a la carte but would not pay more than I am now

Votes: 78 34.5%
  • I want a la carte but only if it's a little cheaper

Votes: 42 18.6%
  • I want a la carte but only if it's a lot cheaper

Votes: 69 30.5%

• Total voters
Here is a big point: in an a la carte world, the CSR staffing of the cable or satellite company would at least have to be doubled. Think about the amount of times people will need to add or delete channels.
One simple solution, in addition to the one incorporating this into the receiver(s): Require any changes to be done online only. Yes, I realize that would restrict some people, but too bad.

You know there would be upset subscribers when their kid subscribes to a channel you don't want them to watch.
My kids can't buy PPV today or download 'on demand' content. There are already tools in place to restrict this. Adding/deleting 'a la carte' channels would be no different.

pabeader said:
just have the receiver do all the work. tune to a channel. if you have already paid for it, it comes on. if you haven't, up pops a box that asks if you want to. you say yes and zing. you now are a subscriber.
Doesn't Dish Network have you pay for your programming in advance, usually by a month? So unless everyone goes on auto-pay, I don't see how Dish Network would do this.

For the subscribers who know how to lock it sure,but what about the subscriber's who don't?.To me it would open up a giant can of worms,and complaints.;)
Sorry, but I have little to no sympathy for people who a) don't read manuals or b) don't try.

It may be where the future WANTS to be but , these greedy bastards will die before offering such a thing . Oh . I take that back . Charlie will sell it to you . Any channel you want for less than $ 1.00 ! As many or as few as you want , including premiums . Just remember though , there is a monthly fee to have access to these channels . The fee would be somewhere around $ 150.00 !:D Yeah , let's watch tv

BabaLouie said:
Yep. The future is ala-carte. By the time cable and satellite providers wake up and realize it, it will be too late for them.
Cablers can always fall back on their internet. And as Comcast has shown how it feels about net-neutrality...
falkor said:
It may be where the future WANTS to be but , these greedy bastards will die before offering such a thing .
Hulu works because it is free. Just wait until it isn't.

If true convergence to the STB ever becomes mainstream, watch out.

Actually Dish Network "did" have a "somewhat" A La Carte system in place for about 4-5 years, with it ending last year around this time.

It was called the Dish NOW! prepaid system. With it you got access to all the Dish English/Spanish package levels(Dish Family/AT100/AT200/AT250/etc...), plus the premiuim movie channels were made available. It came with a Dish 500/DP301 SD receiver(or similiar). No VOD/PPV/HD/locals/Superstations were made available under this package.

But the SWEET thing about it was, you could order programming, BY THE DAY. And, if you just wanted HBO for a day or two, you DID NOT have to have pre-qualified programming(AT packs) in order to get it. So it came to like .53 cents/day for that 1 day of HBO.

But, of course, will all things this good, it got abused by people(I remember the big thing had to do with hotels/motels abusing it somehow, but can't remember the exact circumstances), and then Dish did away with it and replaced with the similiar, but IMHO TERRIBLE, FlexTV setup for prepaid customers.

Sure, now you can get any receiver you want, all the PPV/VOD you could want, locals, etc..., but now it all is based on 1 MONTH of prepaid service, plus they hit you with all the fees/restart fee($5.00 which is not bad), that go with a regular Dish account, which IMHO really destroyed the beauty of the old setup.

I knew it was too good to last, but I do miss having the ability, and NO OTHER SERVICE to my knowledge has even come close to approaching this type of pay TV setup, to choose what I want, and when/for how long I want it.

It was as close to A la carte(not TRUE A la carte, but close) as one could get, and it is dead. So I guess, in a way, Dish(and they are alone on this) already tried it, got screwed over, and said, "F THIS", and went in another direction.

But I do miss it.

Too much

Actually Dish Network "did" have a "somewhat" A La Carte system in place for about 4-5 years, with it ending last year around this time.

I knew it was too good to last, but I do miss having the ability, and NO OTHER SERVICE to my knowledge has even come close to approaching this type of pay TV setup, to choose what I want, and when/for how long I want it.

It was as close to A la carte(not TRUE A la carte, but close) as one could get, and it is dead. So I guess, in a way, Dish(and they are alone on this) already tried it, got screwed over, and said, "F THIS", and went in another direction.

But I do miss it.

Probably cost them more to maintain that they made doing it. They would have to call get service turned on then call and get service turned off. More time in CSR hours than pay back.

Probably cost them more to maintain that they made doing it. They would have to call get service turned on then call and get service turned off. More time in CSR hours than pay back.

System was totally automated. You never dealt with an actual live person when using the prepaid cards or the GreenDot MoneyPaks(these used to get you day by day service).

You Dish and DTV folks don't get it. C-Band had packages you were able to subscribe to..at a WAY lower cost per channel. Then we were able to add channels we wanted that were not included in the package WITHOUT making us pay more for a package we didn't want just to get channels we watch. The ONLY reason the satellite companys would raise prices if they were "forced" to give us ala carte, is one reason. Greed. Offer us packages for a good price and then offer us ala carte. For the record I am a Dish subscriber, and only have Dish because of the HD content and because they broadcast the VOOM networks.

Jeff

You Dish and DTV folks don't get it. C-Band had packages you were able to subscribe to..at a WAY lower cost per channel. Then we were able to add channels we wanted that were not included in the package WITHOUT making us pay more for a package we didn't want just to get channels we watch. The ONLY reason the satellite companys would raise prices if they were "forced" to give us ala carte, is one reason. Greed. Offer us packages for a good price and then offer us ala carte. For the record I am a Dish subscriber, and only have Dish because of the HD content and because they broadcast the VOOM networks.

Jeff

You must be in a time warp if you are seeing the VOOM networks on Dish.... :)

I miss VOOM for sure, even though they didn't offer ala carte, who knows what would have been offered had they survived. I'm no expert on economics but if ala carte worked with C-Band it can work with the small dish. And before anyone says it, I left C-Band because the cost to upgrade to digital and HD (with very little HD, and they still dont have very much to offer in HD) was costly. Hence VOOM then Dish. AND I STILL DON'T HAVE A DVR!!!:(

Jeff

......but if ala carte worked with C-Band it can work with the small dish......

And I think we all know what happened to C band. It couldn't have worked too well now, could have it? Providers don't want to bother with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)