A Lil' Help Here Please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Crankin

Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
O.K., I just have purchased and self installed a *Choice DSR 505 system, with the 75cm dish (yes I am a satellite virgin). All the guides and instructions that I have found, do not seem to pertain to this model. They all instruct to press option and then some numbers in sequence. Problem is, those numbers do not work with the menu on this particular receiver. Example the number 0 is the number to go back?? With this in mind, I can not get to a diagnostic menu. I can get to a "Tune In Sattelite Signal" page. It says I am on Satellite A4 with a signal level number that has varied over the last couple days anywhere between 65 and 71. The other page I can get to that pertains to this long winded diatribe is the "System Status" page. On this page, the only thing that I gues pertains to me right now is on line C. Signal: Which mirrors my signal strength, but also has in parentesis (Ecb/No: 7.0 up to 7.3 db)... Is this good? Is this the same # I was supposed to be looking for on a diagnostic page??? Also, does anyone know how you get each particular channels signal strength on this model??

But wait, there's more..:
I have talked to my broker only briefly, and am sitiing here quite un easy about being activated tomorrow morning.. Here's why: He (the broker) asked if I was getting a picture on 299? No, I am not. There is nothing, black screen. I am getting the channel guide when I press it, but with no picture in the upper left corner. It lists all the upcoming shows and info, but no picture.. Should I be getting a picture before activation? There are also a couple items with the channel guide the are troubling me (I know, what isn't troubling me:). 1. It lists the date as Mon. Feb 27 2:01 AM when as of this writing, it is the 26th @ 2:56 PM?? 2.The guide also does not list the HD Channels, it jumps down from 299 to 238?? BTW, I have now left it on for almost 3 hours.. If that helps any?

Any help on my laundry list here would be greatly appreciated!!! I am suppossed to be activated in the morning, so hopefully you satellite guru's are reading this board today!! Thanks, Craig

Last edited:
Starchoice uses many different types of LNBF's and switches. They also are used in many time zones. Untill the receiver gets it authorization from StarChoice, it does not know what type of LNBF/swithes you are using. This is controlled by StarChoice and is not user selectable. Once your system gets authorized, it will be told what type of LNBF/Switches, timezone information, and channel maps to use to use. Your broker will have to know what type of setup you are using, as this information is needed to properly configure your machine. You will also not get a picture on 299 untill the authorization happens. This has changed as 299 used to be in the clear but is no longer.

Last edited:
Ch 299 is not in DC II Open Key at this time. That's why it requires a hit. SC has been using 299 to show WHL jr hockey games. They only have rights for Western Canada so these games are blacked out for eastern subs.

To get to the Options page on DSR 505 do the following:

Press options 6,4,9,7,7 Screen should read Diagnostic Data 1
Press enter, screen should read Diagnostic A, arrow right, screen should read Diagnotic B

On the 505 you want Diagnostic B to determine your EBNO. The reading is at the bottom of the screen.

To get individual channel signal strength, tune to the channel you want and then follow the instructions above.

Good luck.

Crankin said:
O.K., I just have purchased and self installed a *Choice DSR 505 system, with the 75cm dish (yes I am a satellite virgin). All the guides and instructions that I have found, do not seem to pertain to this model. They all instruct to press option and then some numbers in sequence. Problem is, those numbers do not work with the menu on this particular receiver. Example the number 0 is the number to go back?? With this in mind, I can not get to a diagnostic menu. I can get to a "Tune In Sattelite Signal" page. It says I am on Satellite A4 with a signal level number that has varied over the last couple days anywhere between 65 and 71. The other page I can get to that pertains to this long winded diatribe is the "System Status" page. On this page, the only thing that I gues pertains to me right now is on line C. Signal: Which mirrors my signal strength, but also has in parentesis (Ecb/No: 7.0 up to 7.3 db)... Is this good? Is this the same # I was supposed to be looking for on a diagnostic page??? Also, does anyone know how you get each particular channels signal strength on this model??

Thank you "Wherron! Unbelievably, I just recieved those instructions about 3 minutes before you posted. The broker asked me to check channels 326, 361, 465, 534, 542, and 544. My highest reading is 6.8 (on 326 & 542), and my lowest is 6.0 (on 535 & 544). These #'s look a little low compared to some I read on the sticky above?? It is cloudy here today, as I noticed my initial signal strength went from 69 down to 56. Any thoughts? You folks are great on this board, thanks again for all your guidance!

You're welcome. Glad you got it installed. The numbers do look a little low. I had the best improvement when I peaked my dish by adjusting the skew. I'd start there if I were you and then move on to Az and El to determine your best numbers.

Crankin said:
Thank you "Wherron! Unbelievably, I just recieved those instructions about 3 minutes before you posted. The broker asked me to check channels 326, 361, 465, 534, 542, and 544. My highest reading is 6.8 (on 326 & 542), and my lowest is 6.0 (on 535 & 544). These #'s look a little low compared to some I read on the sticky above?? It is cloudy here today, as I noticed my initial signal strength went from 69 down to 56. Any thoughts? You folks are great on this board, thanks again for all your guidance!

I thank you again. Kinda bummed. I tried all that. I must have a line of sight issue with the neighbor's tree :(. I just kinda thought the distance (about 30 yards) would take care of any line of sight issue, but I must be wrong...... God I hate drillin' holes in my house.

I want to thank everyone again for their help, and useful tips!! It was a line of sight issue. One BIG branch cut down (we won't talk about it coming within 6" of the dish on it's way down... Yikes:), and walla: 85 signal strength 9.5 ebno!!! Lowest signal strength on any channel is 9.7... On a very windy and very cloudy day!!! Thank you all again, especially Iceberg for answering all my fairly lame P.M.'s... You rock dude, and if that is a picture of you, I want you on my team!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)