A little help please!

rvrman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Cincinnaati OH
I have a Antennacraft C290 hooked to a VIP 622.
I would like to add a VIP722K in another room to my C290.
Signal strength is very good on 2 of the network stations and "just ok" on the other 2 we care about.
What do I need to:
1) split the C290 outside.
2) Amplify the signal (don't know if possible without overpowering the 2 "good" channels.
3) feed the 622 and 722K properly

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• pRS1-6718493w345.jpg
    pRS1-6718493w345.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 124
"Simple and cheap" is the best way to start out: Disconnect the antenna downlead from the VIP622, hook it up to the input of a two-way splitter, run coax cables from the splitter outputs to the 622 and to the VIP722K, and see how it goes. If reception becomes sketchy on the two "just OK" channels, replace the splitter with a quality distribution amplifier like Channel Master's CM3412 or Winegard's HDA100. Don't substitute: Other amp models are likely to be too overpowering and/or too noisy to do you any good.

Better to be out five bucks for an unnecessary splitter than $40 for an unneeded amp...

Thanks Don_M

Ok...
So DON'T worry about splitting the cable outside?
Just split prior to the 622 and fresh run to 722K.
Now the 722K will have 2 OTA inputs.
Use a splitter again there?
Is there a difference in splitters?

Attachments

• tv_cable_splitter_47335__96729_zoom.jpg
    tv_cable_splitter_47335__96729_zoom.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 120
So DON'T worry about splitting the cable outside?
Nope – just put one splitter behind the 622. Both distribution amps mentioned above have one input and two outputs. That'll make swapping out the splitter a breeze in case the boost is needed. Besides, the amp needs to be indoors, and needs a power outlet close by. The end of the current downlead, behind the TV, seemed like the best place...

Now the 722K will have 2 OTA inputs. Use a splitter again there?
Honestly, I don't know. You'll have to consult the user manual to find out why it has 2 OTA connectors. My hunch is that a second splitter shouldn't be needed, though.

Is there a difference in splitters?
That Aska splitter is fine for use between the antenna and the OTA cabling. Its frequency range isn't wide enough for use in satellite-dish wiring, though.

Last edited:
Thanks Don

That VIP722 dvr comes standard with the ability to record 1 OTA signal.
The Vip722K has an additional OTA module so you can record 2 OTA channels at the same time as well as 2 Dish channels.
I guess I'll just try a couple of cheapo splitters first.

The 722k has only one OTA input, splitting the signal to the two tuners is done internally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts