A little help with Superdish

bryan92

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
Statesboro, Ga
I'm posting for a friend. He has a problem with 105 locals (Savannah). During daylight hours he cannot receive his locals. When the sun goes down, no problem. Any suggestions? Dish has come out and attempted to fix the problem but no luck. Daytime signal is at 55-58%, night time is around 64-65%.

Select Transponders 2, 7, 18 , and 23 and post their day and night values...These are the Tp's Echostar recommends using when peaking 105. As far as signal fluctuations...you'll see alot of this on 105 as it is an extremely weak bird...It is in the process of being replaced, the new replacement bird "AMC-15" is already launched, in orbit, and being tested at 135 slot. I don't know the exact date of 105 swap.

If he is still at 65 at night and his locals drop, I would think either the uplink is cutting out or he has one of these LNBF's that failed due to temperature, but again if he see's signal on the 4 listed transponders I'd question the uplink.

Jason

What kind of vehicles are in the vicinity in the day, vs the night? I just found out a really weird problem. One of my neighbors gets a visitor every now and then that has one of those radar detector jammer things. Throws my locals 105 signal for a loop. Go figure. I found this out because one evening, clear blue sky, my signal went out then back in continuously on 105. I looked outside, no obstructions, but I noticed that vehicle running. When it left, so did the problem. I asked the guy what his visitor had in the vehicle. He told me one of the radar deals. It happened again the next time the vehicle was here. So, I am not saying this is the problem, but, it happens. I did ask the guy to have his guest turn it off when he comes here. Go figure!

He is out in the country so banks or businesses or out. I will ask about other the other. I am begining to think its a bad lnb or something with the dish or cables.

I have noticed with my superdish that during the day my signal drops off on 105 about 4%. No big deal. 70-74 average.(temperature related) My question is, even with a signal of 55 to 58% should not his receivers still lock? I believe mine will. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He told me that it drops to the point there is no signal. Bear in mind he works during the week and he only notices on the weekends. He says the sun goes down and it comes back on. He is waiting on a call from the person who came out a couple of weeks ago to find out what was done to correct the problem. Obviously nothing. :)

ByrdWatcher said:
I have noticed with my superdish that during the day my signal drops off on 105 about 4%. No big deal. 70-74 average.(temperature related) My question is, even with a signal of 55 to 58% should not his receivers still lock? I believe mine will. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct, I noticed that too but didn't want to mention it since the main points of the thread are that (a) the locals drop out (for whatever reason) during the day and (b) there seems to be a decrease in signal quality, however severe, that explains the dropouts. But personally, for several weeks I lived with 40-45 on 105 and had mostly steady reception of my locals. There were of course times of no signal lock, and eventually more severe problems, so installers came and corrected me up to 60 signal on 105. :)

I agree with Iceberg, sounds like a bad LNB. Maybe it's a vampire LNB, can't handle the sunlight. I've seen some scary looking SuperDish LNBs.

Thanks for you help. My buddy had them come out again and told them Satelliteguys :D said it might be the LNB and he said " I hadnt thought about that". Anyway put a used one on there for the time being (will replace with new one) and has had no problems, yet! Thanks again.

bryan92 said:
Thanks for you help. My buddy had them come out again and told them Satelliteguys :D said it might be the LNB and he said " I hadnt thought about that". Anyway put a used one on there for the time being (will replace with new one) and has had no problems, yet! Thanks again.
Well good for you and your buddy! Glad you got it fixed! And glad you did not have to go through the crap I did when I had a bad lnb and everyone said it was everything else except that!!! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)