A minor request from your FTA moderator

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This really IS good news Tony.

I don't know how she'd feel about this, but in our church, when there is a wheelchair bound person (two come to mind), we allow the chairs to either stay in the isle near the family members, or sit at the back so the wheelchair with rider can be behind the last pew. Would this be an alternative to NOT going to church?

Photto
They sit up in front ;) so that isnt an issue. There are a couple folks who have wheelchairs and the front pew is only 1/2 the length of the others so they can sit there. When she went home, they spoke to their pastor (who by the way visited her when she was in the long term facility) and gave Grampa a holder for communion. So at least she can still do that.

Its more of a comfort issue for Grandma. Friday the apt complex had a potluck and she went for about an hour then her body started to hurt by sitting on a chair.

She did say she was going this week to church

Damn....hard to believe its been a year already.
A lot has happened since April. She goes to church once in a while. Some days she is just too tired to go...usually because Friday is cleaning and laundry day and even though she isnt suppose to do anything she still tries to. Got to the point that Gramps cant even do his morning walk until the afternoon (when she naps) because he'd come back and Gramma would have the laundry sorted and one load going already (she is only suppose to set the washer settings and turn it on) :) If she doesnt go then I usually go sit there with her. She is stubborn and said she's fine being there alone but we do it for Gramps

This summer she started asking questions about the whole thing which was hard sometimes because she would play 20 questions about it. She said she doesnt remember her birthday (which was a week earlier) so as she said "I must have been getting sick then". But she now knows pretty much everything from the time she went to the hospital until the time she got out from asking us questions.

She used that walker for about a month after she got out then said the hell with it. It sits in the den with some stuff on it ;) The only thing she does is sometimes when they go to the grocery store she'll use one of those motorized carts (very rarely....she'll just not go anymore and send Gramps to the store) :) We got them a cell phone (against both of their requests) just incase....and it seems to get more use when they're at home than when they're out and about. They have a controlled entrance and Gramma seems to always be on the phone so when you call to be let in the line is busy. We just call the cell then.

This summer (I think it was June or July) she had to go back to HCMC to have some tests done and to see her "update"/progress. The doctors there were just amazed. The head neurosurgeon that had worked on her said he has seen folks who werent this good 5 years after having an aneurysm, much less 8 months after the 1st one and 5 after the 2nd (they had to replace the 1st one after it got infected) so thats always good to hear :)

The weird thing is she is done doing Christmas. We always went to Gramma's on Christmas Day. Well when they moved into the apartment they used the community room for Christmas. Last year we didnt have it and this year we were to have it on Christmas. Gramma said she couldnt have everyone there (we have a pretty big family) because that makes her nervous and ill so she wasn't having it. So for the 1st time ever I don't have anywhere to go for Christmas...its gonna be weird....

But on the positive this year she remembered her birthday :)

Thanks for the update on your Grandmother!

It is so difficult as our loved ones age. My Grandmother was our family's matriarch and when she had a stroke then passed a year later, so many family traditions were reinvented and some were unfortunately lost.

Time to incorporate those wonderful traditions into new family memories. I started baking Grandma's goodies and doing my best to capture those special German flavors. Last year we had a great family get together with each of us baking or cooking one of her recipes.

Hope that you can find a way to bring your family together during this holiday season. Maybe invite your grandparents to a less stressful setting where they are guests and not feel that they are "in charge"?

Happy Holidays Tony!

Iceberg,
You and your family are in my prayers. And you are right that we ought to be thankful for our family cause they could leave us at anytime. In general, we need to be thankful for all we do have and all that has been done for us. Our family, friends, etc. We all need to not complain about what we don't have and what our families don't do for us but instead we should be thankful just to have them as family as you stated and what they have done for us. God will be with you during these days because the prayer of many here at SatelliteGuys is asking him to watch over you and your family in this time need!!

Great to hear that she's doing well, Iceberg! I can understand her feelings about the whole Christmas family gathering thing... My family gets together at the home of one of my aunts, and its a complete madhouse! :) Eating in shifts, with multiple tables, munchkins everywhere, the whole nine yards! It is fun, but I don't envy the task my aunt and uncle have this time of year.

Tony or Ice, very well put about telling your loved ones. WE should all be thankful for what we have. Count your blessings. I will keep grandma in my prayers. God bless you and yours during this time. El_Viejo

:up The above posts have said it all already. Your family has my prayers, thought and best wishes as well. We are all rooting for your family. Best wishes and prayers. Thank you for sharing your life with us. :up

Ice, Great to hear she is doing well! Today is my last remaining grandma's 100th birthday! She's in pretty good shape except for her short term memory. My folks aren't in the best shape and are moving after 39 years to a condo..less headache...no yardwork. All our holiday traditions went away a few years ago...too much for my folks to do. I long for just one more Thanksgiving and Christmas like we used to have. Spend all the time you can with your grandparents...The three of mine that are gone I miss more than I could ever say...Blind

Im glad to hear your grandma is doing better.I kinda know what your going threw!Both my parents still live in a the same home i grew up in a few towns north of here and both near 80.They are doing ok for 80 but my moms memory isnt the best these days.I will be seeing them this thanksgiving as well as my bother and his wife.For me its really painfull to see our loved ones not being able to do what they used to do!but northing we can do about it except love them to the end.

Tony I will keep your grandma in my prayers. good to hear she is doing well. i remember when my mom was alive but was very sick. Christmas changed to a very few family members visiting but that was all she could take. to many people was overwhelming. my prayers and best wishes are with you.

I have never visited this sub forum before and I was glad I did. It is never easy to share a family crisis particularly for someone who is clearly important in your life. We will keep you, her and your family in our prayers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)