A nasty two part question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ps2baseball

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
So, I have a new Directv HR24, as well as a Slingbox classic.

I was wondering if ONE device would allow me to hook both up to a wireless N network.

The second part of my question is, if my HR24 is not configured to IR, will the Slingbox IR blasters work?

I'd like to have both hooked up for Sling and OnDemand, but would prefer to go wireless if possible.

The receivers do either RF or IR, but not both. Lame, but thats how they work and years of complaining about it havent made for any changes. So maybe the box just cant do both at once due to some limitation.

You can use a wireless bridge and a switch to connect more than one device to a wireless N network. Some bridges might support 2 inputs. I havent seen one, but I havent looked for one either.

One heads up, sometimes wireless N isnt good enough for HD video. If you've run something on a wireless N network from the exact same location and done real HD video with it, then you might be okay. Most people experience mixed results.

thanks

I don't care about streaming HD, I just want ondemand more.

Is there a wireless bridge the HR24 works well with?

There are two that directv supports directly connected to the HR series. I think they're the WGA600N and WET610, but a google ought to confirm that.

Those allow the directv box to configure the wireless adapter, rather than doing it from a PC first and then hooking it to the receiver. If you dont care about that, then any wireless N bridge ought to work.

Are you a techhie? If so, you can get a dd-wrt compatible router, put dd-wrt firmware on it and configure the router as a wireless N client bridge, giving you 4 ports. I'm doing that to connect a room I cant run a wire to back to my main router. I run a bunch of gaming consoles, a PC and a roku player off of it using wireless N @5GHz. Works like a charm. Took about 45 minutes to set up. A dd-wrt compatible N router can be had for $25-35, which is usually cheaper than the one port wireless bridges. Let me know if you think you'd like to take a stab at it and I'll give you some links and instructions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts