A new DIRECTV Genie DVR coming soon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
not at all but the op needs to learn whats going to happen since dtv is dying
What if Dish buys DTV just for the customers and to keep Dish alive since their last satellite runs out of fuel 2025? They can keep their customers and get new ones from DTV. Then when DTV satellites run out fuel they could have DTV Stream and Sling TV merged and that would be the new service Dish Network would offer. Their would be no new DVR just Google TV and the cloud DVR?

Not likely Dish would move DTV custies to the Hopper. Millions of STBs to change out. Probably run both until lights out.

I hope there will be no merger. Dish could get the sats cheap after a Chapter 7.

Sorry I should have added that no equipment would change between both. When the last DTV satellite runs out of fuel Dish would tell customers move to their streaming service or find another provider?

I suspect the origins of the signal will become blurred. Same UI for Internet and satellite. Just fewer and fewer installations will have dishes.

I think the GUI on both satellite systems would stay the same. Unless it would save costs? Would Dish Network or DTV customers want to learn a new GUI?

Sorry I should have added that no equipment would change between both. When the last DTV satellite runs out of fuel Dish would tell customers move to their streaming service or find another provider?
Dish customers would have to do whatever they're gonna do first, D* Sats will last much longer.

Yes, I expect Cable TV to still be around, as Cable is multiple different companies thruout the USA, where as Sat is D* and DISH.

"Cable TV" might still be around, but it may not be available where you live at some point since most people have only one cable company able to operate in their area. Some people in rural areas with small cable companies already have had cable TV shut down and can only get internet from them, and they offer something like Youtube TV or Sling for those who want "TV" from them.

Reactions: Jimbo
"Cable TV" might still be around, but it may not be available where you live at some point since most people have only one cable company able to operate in their area. Some people in rural areas with small cable companies already have had cable TV shut down and can only get internet from them, and they offer something like Youtube TV or Sling for those who want "TV" from them.
My point was that not All Cable companies will go out of business at the same time, where as IF D* goes down, thats it, they are gone (unless they are bought out or merged with.

Some people in rural areas with small cable companies already have had cable TV shut down and can only get internet from them, and they offer something like Youtube TV or Sling for those who want "TV" from them.
Not necessarily even rural. The Telco where I live in (Consolidated formerly Hickory Tech) is getting out of the TV business and is sticking their resources in Internet. They haven't sold cable to new subs for over a year. They recently switched our apartment compound (250+ units) to fibre and Directv Stream (cable and Internet are included in rent)
Mankato does have 2 options (Spectrum is the other) but Consolidated "gets in" to newer buildings/new construction so Spectrum is not allowed there.

My point was that not All Cable companies will go out of business at the same time, where as IF D* goes down, thats it, they are gone (unless they are bought out or merged with.
this is why cable got into internets and mobiles!!! who is dtv going to merge with is the question both dish and dtv sats are at there end of life. att selling 30% of dtv is like saying we dont want anything to do with you now you go die in a corner all by yourself. i would even question the life of dtv stream since people are thinking with there wallets and want cheaper cost programming

this is why cable got into internets and mobiles!!! who is dtv going to merge with is the question both dish and dtv sats are at there end of life. att selling 30% of dtv is like saying we dont want anything to do with you now you go die in a corner all by yourself. i would even question the life of dtv stream since people are thinking with there wallets and want cheaper cost programming
I suspect as Directv satellite winds down in a decade or so, the streaming side will offer a more pared down version at a lower price to compete with the other services.

Reactions: John2021
Well, if the two satcos merge, there may be a new DTV DVR. It’ll be called the Hopper. But hard to imagine millions of retrofits.

Well, if the two satcos merge, there may be a new DTV DVR. It’ll be called the Hopper. But hard to imagine millions of retrofits.
anything would be better than the junk that dtv is running. and for crist sake maybe they will let people ad a standard HD box in the mix with the new DVR unlike with the genie 2!!! freaking insanity to have to shut off one system and turn the other one on or open up a 2nd acct!!!

Reactions: Jimbo and navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.