A new guys question

conranch

Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
N.E. WA
I am one of those old guys and am not as informed as I would like.
I have recently installed a new Dish 722, to a new Sony Bravia, 32" HDTV. I live very country in a single wide trailer. Have a second trailer close together. The reason for having the Dual Mode box. Everything works quite well and am satisfied.
I am wanting to get another HDTV for my bedroom but would be satisfied to set my main TV to a program before going to bed to either watch the program to the end or fall asleep. (would be better than falling asleep in my big chair.)

The problem is I can not find any information on how to hook up a line that would go back (under the floor) to the Bed Room. Dish tells me (in the User's guide) I would need to use RG6 which is supposed to be rated for 2150 MHz. How and where would I put in a splitter for this line? I have a DVD / VCR unit hooked in with the 4 small cables. The feed to the TV is the double ended HDMI cable. I have had a dish for several years and it has served me well.

Hopefully some one can and will take the time to point me in the right direction.
Not sure If I am allowed to post my e- address or not.
Thanks denny@conranch.com

conranch

I am one of those old guys and am not as informed as I would like.
I have recently installed a new Dish 722, to a new Sony Bravia, 32" HDTV. I live very country in a single wide trailer. Have a second trailer close together. The reason for having the Dual Mode box. Everything works quite well and am satisfied.
I am wanting to get another HDTV for my bedroom but would be satisfied to set my main TV to a program before going to bed to either watch the program to the end or fall asleep. (would be better than falling asleep in my big chair.)

The problem is I can not find any information on how to hook up a line that would go back (under the floor) to the Bed Room. Dish tells me (in the User's guide) I would need to use RG6 which is supposed to be rated for 2150 MHz. How and where would I put in a splitter for this line? I have a DVD / VCR unit hooked in with the 4 small cables. The feed to the TV is the double ended HDMI cable. I have had a dish for several years and it has served me well.

Hopefully some one can and will take the time to point me in the right direction.
Not sure If I am allowed to post my e- address or not.
Thanks denny@conranch.com

conranch

You only use the RG6(plugged in to TV2 on the back) for SD programming and DVR use in Dual Mode.If you want HD programming in the bedroom you will need to run
a HDMI cable to 1HDTV and Component and audio cables to the other(2nd) HDTV as all of the outputs are on on the 722.Good Luck!:)

If you run the RG-6 line from the Tv2 out you are aware that the tv in your bedroom will not receive an HD signal? I just wanted to check. If you want to have HD int the bedroom and don't care to have to watch the same as your main TV on the HD side, TrippLite makes great HDMI over Cat-6 extenders. They are about $70 from provantage.com I use this so that I can see HD on my den TV from the 722 in my office. If you do that you would also need a HDMI splitter, monoprice has one for about $35 that works quite well.

If you do run RG-6 from the TV2 output of your 722 to the remote location (for SD only programs), that cable will not have to be rated to 2150MHz. The higher-frequency rated cable is only needed for connections from the LNBs at the dish to the receiver(s) including a switch if you system requires one.

Welcome, BTW...!

As another old guy knowing how easy it is to run cable in a mobile, I would recommend going with the suggestion to use component to your main TV and running an HDMI cable to the bedroom along with the RG6 coax to the bedroom. If you're single, then you can use the TV2 remote to watch HD in the bedroom (with the 722 in single mode only) and still record another show. The only time you would need to watch SD is if someone wants to watch a different show on one of the TVs and you have to use dual mode.

I know this works well because it is exactly how I have my 722 set up.

If you don't mind the additional expense, you could use an HDMI splitter and have HDMI to both the living room and bedroom TVs.

Thanks to all of you who assisted me.
I ended up on Monoprice Inc. Selected a 1x2 PRO series Powered HDMI Splitter, a bit pricey but supposed to be one of the best for my instalation. I also first selected 50 HDMI 24AWG cable. Also a couple shorter HDMI cables to hook things up. Someone suggested using the customer service chat. So I did. The Lady was very helpful. Suggested going with the 22AWG rather than the 24. Only about $10 more so went with it. Service was fast and excellent. MY goodies arrived this afternoon and I pitched in and hooked everything up. First time I fired both HDTVs up, Perfect! I now have a TV in my bedroom and the larger Sony in my front room. Both are HDTVs. I can select what I want to continue watching in bed. Can not select a different channel than the one I select before retiring. Fine for an old batch. Again, Thanks all for the help. Without your input I doubt is the results would have as good as it is. I can not believe how clear both TVs are.

Denny

Glad it worked out for you.

One tip: I had a couple of times that I lost signal in the bedroom and had to reset the splitter or reset the cable. Hasn't happened in a long time but wanted to save you the initial panic if it does happen.