A new pro football league - can it work?

jwfgeol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
After the demise of the USFL, XFL, and NFL Europe, the All American Football League begins play this spring. There are several interesting facts that set this league apart from other pro football start-ups:

1. The six teams in the league are closely tied to the universities in their areas. The teams are Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Tennessee, and Texas.
2. All players must have received a degree from a four-year institution and exhausted all of their college eligibility.
3. Each team will sell "memberships" to fans to allow them to buy tickets, parking, view high-definition private game broadcasts, and other benefits.

The league held their draft today and some of the bigger name players are Chris Leak, Tee Martin, Eric Crouch, Peter Warrick, and Freddie Milons.

I think this league is an interesting concept. They are obviously not trying to compete with the NFL, but instead are trying to have generate a "college" atmosphere.

Other leagues have tried the same. Every time they put one in Birmingham. Everytime it has failed. This one will be no different.

After the demise of the USFL, XFL, and NFL Europe, the All American Football League begins play this spring. There are several interesting facts that set this league apart from other pro football start-ups:

1. The six teams in the league are closely tied to the universities in their areas. The teams are Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Michigan, Tennessee, and Texas.
2. All players must have received a degree from a four-year institution and exhausted all of their college eligibility.
3. Each team will sell "memberships" to fans to allow them to buy tickets, parking, view high-definition private game broadcasts, and other benefits.

The league held their draft today and some of the bigger name players are Chris Leak, Tee Martin, Eric Crouch, Peter Warrick, and Freddie Milons.

I think this league is an interesting concept. They are obviously not trying to compete with the NFL, but instead are trying to have generate a "college" atmosphere.

Who the hell is Freddie Milons?

Thanks for the answer. Going back to the original question - I don't think it's a question of "will it work", but instead - "why would it work?" I can't see it working in Detroit, the last league didn't last here, and they were league champs for at least one of the seasons.

Thanks for the answer. Going back to the original question - I don't think it's a question of "will it work", but instead - "why would it work?" I can't see it working in Detroit, the last league didn't last here, and they were league champs for at least one of the seasons.
Yeah, every other league seems to have fallen flat. I'm just surprised by living in Knoxville, how much press this is getting. At the Tennessee basketball game Saturday night, they interviewed Tee Martin on the court during one of the timeouts about the AAFL. You couldn't really hear what he was saying, though because of how loud the crowd was cheering. We had an arena team for a while that didn't work, now this.

I guarantee that if they put a team in Oklahoma City, and get Barry Switzer as the coach, they'll get lots of fans to every game. Even more if they use the Wishbone offense. :)

To let you know how successful this new league will be. I haven't even heard of it until last week. And this is from a season ticket holder to the Birmingham XFL, CFL, & AFL2 teams.

I will go ahead and add it to the list of failed Birmingham pro football teams:
Birmingham Vulcans (1961-1962)
Birmingham Americans (1974)
Birmingham Vulcans (1975)
Alabama Vulcans (1979)
Alabama Magic (1982)
Birmingham Stallions (1983-1985)
Birmingham Fire (1991-1992)
Birmingham Barracudas (1995)
Alabama Steeldogs (2000-2007)
Birmingham Thunderbolts (2001)
Team Alabama (2008)

LOL Freddy Milons. I think I had the same thoughts as everyone else had. Who the hell is Freddy Milons?

And now I will never forget. Might name a child Freddie Milons down the road

Even the CFL couldnt get teams to take off in the US, this league has 2 years max life.

Damn somebody remembers that?
The Birmingham Barracudas. There were 6 or 7 teams in the States if I remember.

The Baltimore Stallions were the only non-Canadian team to win the Grey Cup in 1994. They beat-up Calgary Stampeders pretty good that game 37-20.

LOL Freddy Milons. I think I had the same thoughts as everyone else had. Who the hell is Freddy Milons?

And now I will never forget. Might name a child Freddie Milons down the road
LOL. I guess from following the SEC, Freddie Milons stuck out to me in the list of players initially stated to play in this league. I can see how no one else would have heard of him. He was a great college player. All time leader in Alabama history in receptions and also had three or four 100 yard rushing games on top of all the catches and yards receiving.

The draft looked real good and shows this league has some promise. We should try and support this league all we can. They have much better morals than the NFL does.

Unless it does something new, like Arena Football, it will die.

As it is, with Arena & CFL up north, I don't think there is room for another pro league.

Do they have any tv coverage lined up? I didn't see any on their site. Without that, I don't give the league a year.

LOL. I guess from following the SEC, Freddie Milons stuck out to me in the list of players initially stated to play in this league. I can see how no one else would have heard of him. He was a great college player. All time leader in Alabama history in receptions and also had three or four 100 yard rushing games on top of all the catches and yards receiving.

A dollar says that the next season's SEC champ could beat the champ from this new league.

Just a couple thoughts...No!...the league will fold like a deck of playing cards in a hurricane. Also, a new league will be the only way Detroit area fans will see another professional football championship (aka Michigan Panthers)...just as long as the Ford family is running the Lions.

Just a couple thoughts...No!...the league will fold like a deck of playing cards in a hurricane. Also, a new league will be the only way Detroit area fans will see another professional football championship (aka Michigan Panthers)...just as long as the Ford family is running the Lions.

The truth hurts, but it is the truth, nonetheless. But even though they are playing at Ford Field, they will not supplant the Lions. I guess we just love our misery. The Lions will still be rebuilding as long as the Ford's own the Lions. Damn.

If I could stop laughing, I might actually be able to answer this one...

...OK, wait no... OK, just a second...

...oh, this isn't a spoof. 2 YEARS MAX!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)