A Note From Scott on New HD

I really hate the HR20 I have because it IS so slow! I have both the 622 and the HR20 and the 622 works so much better. I know the 622 has had problems, but when it is working well it blows the HR20 away. Sorry, just my opinion. Also, the PQ is about the same in HD, no reall difference. Direct has improved it quite abit.

OK, who has both?

Last I heard, scanning the guide on a D* receiver was slower than molasses..... I can fly through on my 722....

I have both, 722 and an HR21 and I am really happy with Direct all the way around.

While the HR21 is not quite as good as the 722 it's close. Also Direct's VOD blows away Dish and the media share function of the receiver is great. I can copy a DVD onto my computer and play it through my HR21. They are updating the software almost weekly.

If you want Direct for all the HD etc, don't let the receiver be the deciding factor, as it's not that far off.

I have the 722 and my brother has the HR20. The HR20 is not only slow as molasses in looking through the guide, but changing channels is torturous. I would say 3-5 seconds on average for the screen to display when changing a channel. It was very annoying when trying to switch between games during March Madness.

This is easily solved by setting the receiver to Native and output to 1080i and it won't switch.

Brian

Depends on what you are looking for in a receiver.

For me - the PIP and TV2 output on the 622 were not at all important ... the media player and on-demand content on the HR21 were far more important ... the 622 GUI is a little faster ... but the HR21 GUI is more user-friendly.

There is no perfect receiver for everyone - personally i prefer the HR21 over the 622 ... the positives far outweigh the negatives .. at least in my setup ... as with the programming - the receiver preference is a personal decision that only the end user can make it should be one of the factors that is thrown into the mix when making a decision about which provider to go with.

:)

Since Sling is owned by Echostar and not Dish, what makes you think that a built in sling feature is gonna be a Dish exclusive?
Why do you think they wouldn't work together? Charlie has pretty big interest in both companies yet. Dish has hinted at future works with sling and Dish but has not given any real specifics.

Why do you think they wouldn't work together? Charlie has pretty big interest in both companies yet. Dish has hinted at future works with sling and Dish but has not given any real specifics.

In fact they do work together. remember the last tech forum? 20 minutes on converter boxes that would be sold by echostar and Sling.

The HR20 guide is far from slow. It is lightning fast. You hit page down and *bam* it's done. You can make it even faster by turning off guide animations in the display options. Now it might not be as fast as the 722 (no idea, I don't have one) but it certainly isn't slow.

As for changing channels, if you are using HDMI and have Native set to on then it can very well take a few seconds if your TV has to resync (which many do when using HDMI). Turn Native off and set the only resolution to 1080i (or 720p if you prefer) and channel changes will be 2 seconds. But it's your choice how you want to go. You can do it fast or you can do it slow, it really all depends on your combination of equipment and what connection you are using.

The HR20 guide is far from slow. It is lightning fast. You hit page down and *bam* it's done. You can make it even faster by turning off guide animations in the display options. Now it might not be as fast as the 722 (no idea, I don't have one) but it certainly isn't slow.

As for changing channels, if you are using HDMI and have Native set to on then it can very well take a few seconds if your TV has to resync (which many do when using HDMI). Turn Native off and set the only resolution to 1080i (or 720p if you prefer) and channel changes will be 2 seconds. But it's your choice how you want to go. You can do it fast or you can do it slow, it really all depends on your combination of equipment and what connection you are using.

I'M sorry shibby but i had a HR20 and compared to my vip622 the changing of channels seemed very slow to me. i did not like their guide either. that's my opinion anyway. :)

I can copy a DVD onto my computer and play it through my HR21. They are updating the software almost weekly.

I have a device called a "DVD Player" that is connected directly to my TV. It allows me to play my DVDs without having to copy them to my computer first and then playing them back through a secondary device. :D

(Sorry; I just couldn't resist that!)

I have a device called a "DVD Player" that is connected directly to my TV. It allows me to play my DVDs without having to copy them to my computer first and then playing them back through a secondary device. :D

(Sorry; I just couldn't resist that!)

i have a laserdisc player that does the same thing your dvd player does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts