A pleasant surprise (believe it or not)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
So I already posted my customer service run around, but this is a positive outcome from it.

Upon arriving home today....I expected a vip612 in my bedroom. To my delight, I not only found this, but another dish. A smaller dish to pick up local hd, but I already have an OTA antenna that picks up my local HD.

So I called DISH to tell them there was a mix up. The guy on the phone (by dialing technical support to get an American) said I pay $5 a month for my locals whether they are SD or HD. He said there was no charge for the additional dish to pick up local HD. I didn't need it in most of my rooms due to the OTA HD antenna, but now I have it in other rooms as well!

I was pleasantly surprised. My bill is now $50 top 200 with HD DVR, $20 HD, $5 locals now in HD, $7 hd dvr lease, $5 insurance, .01 cinemax. It may seem like a lot, but we like our TV variety and the quality of DISH HD. Well worth it.

pfan

They have been giving away free dishes for years, as many markets have had some or all of their local SD channels on other than 119/110. If all you had was an SD receiver prior to this they probably put up the second dish so you could receive HD programming. I think that is standard now when installing an HD receiver, regardless of whether you subscribe to the HD programming or not. That second dish is probably pointed at 61.5 unless I missed my guess. If your locals were on 129 they probably would have installed a Dish 1000.2 single dish solution. You are much better off this way. Congratulations and enjoy the HD! :D

EHD??? Remember....newb here.

I think I will drop my locals which will save $5. I have my antenna running to all rooms and it looks awesome. Is it really wise to drop the insurance?

pfan

rcdallas, would you go w/o insurance? With the replacement value of these things vs. things like a cell phone........I think the insurance would give me piece of mind. Do you have it?

I have been with Dish since 2000 and have never had insurance. I had a model 508 go dead on me within the warranty period, and they only charged me shipping to get a replacement. If I had another receiver go out on me within warranty I would do the same today, since that insurance would cost more than the shipping charge. If it were out of warranty, I would sign up for the insurance as soon as I had a problem, then make use of the insurance. I think they cover ALL Dish Network equipment for that price, including remote controls, so if you have a remote that is bad you can get that replaced too.

Here's the way I did the math. At $5 per month, that's $60 a year. The warranty is good for one year. They currently require a 2 year commitment, so that's $120 over two years. You can just about buy another receiver for that money. I think the smart money is on taking your chances with no insurance. Then again, I don't have Auto Club for the same reason. If I need a tow truck once every 3 or 4 years I just pay for it.

rcdallas, would you go w/o insurance? With the replacement value of these things vs. things like a cell phone........I think the insurance would give me piece of mind. Do you have it?

I don't see why you would need insurance for LEASED receivers. I am pretty sure that they will replace them when they break no matter what 'insurance' you have - meaning DHPP.

I am pretty sure that I have had my receivers replaced long after I was off the insurance. If they ever give me crap about it I will just cancel. If their receiver breaks they should fix it, not you.

Dish does not replace leased receivers for "free". It will cost you at least the shipping charge $25?), possibly more. A truck roll to solve any other installation related issue will cost you $99. DHPP ($5.99/mo.) reduces the service call to ~$30 and reduces the other costs substantially even to -0- in many cases, like replacing a tanked remote. The DHPP can indeed be added "as/when needed" and many have done that. But this is a "loophole" I expect Dish will close soon. I have the DHPP ($72/yr.) for several years and have had a 622 and 301 and 2 remotes replaced at no additional charge (other than my effort to have the 2 defective receivers repacked for shipment back, dish covers the pick-up and fees). Is it worth it? I think so. YMMV...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts