A Poor Mans SuperDish Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Most of the lnbf's had two outputs on it (for H - Horizontal polarity and V - Vertical polarity). These will need a special switch to function properly with both polarities.

There were some lnbf's that had only one output on it but not that many.

I saw a guy on E-Bay who has 30" KU Band dishes (minus the LNB's of course) for next to nothing. Would a dish this small work for 105 and let me ask you this...how would I know where to point the thing precisely since Dish's setup lists the elevation, etc for their dish and this would be something different.

I attach a Pic below for your reference...do you think this would work combined with a DP34 switch and an LNB???

I'd much rather put this smaller 2nd dish up than the Superbrick...at least until the lighter plastic model hits the mainstream

I've got a primestar dish with this LNB

http://www.eagleaspen.com/documents/newp_P170+.pdf

(it is the LNB that is used on the DirectWay PC I believe)

attached to a primestar or starband feed. The LNB was $29 or $39. It is feeding into a sw21 #2 port with a feed from a sw64 into the sw21 #1 port. The sw64 has 119, 110, 148 into it. From the sw21 it goes in a 6000 receiver but I have also hooked it up to a 4900 receiver with the same results. I show 4 sats with signal strength on the 105 on all 24 transponders except 6, 12, 20 and 21. Readings are from 72 to 83 on all other transponders. I'm in No. Cal where according to the footprint the signal should be unacceptable. I bought the primstar dish for $10 locally and the sw64 on ebay for $45. Hope some programming starts to show up. I keep checking but so far only channel 7000.

:| :|

sat4soris said:
Hope some programming starts to show up. I keep checking but so far only channel 7000.
I doubt if you will see anything except 7000 until E* begins selling SuperDish for HDTV. Right now they are only selling SuperDish for select LIL markets.

(Which makes me wonder why people are clamoring to get a SuperDish up and running in other markets. I suppose they will be the first to see HD when E* releases the channels to the public and if they are subscribed to HD. Early adopter fever ...)

JL

You might be able to pick up a signal from that 30" dish since its more round than the SuperDish in which it would be taller, but am not sure.

You might be able to pick up a signal from that 30" dish since its more round than the SuperDish in which it would be taller, but am not sure.
Area of the Superdish is roughly 691 in.². The area of a 30in. round dish is about 706 in.². It should produce the same, if not slightly better, signal.

(This is based on 2D calculations. The surface area of both is actually a little more, given their contour).

However, being able to aim at 105° independently with a separate dish will result in the best possible signal strength, as opposed to compromising all the signals on a single SuperDish.

AMC 2 ku band dish

You can pick up AMC 2 dish network with a 30 inch Ku band dish similar as the one in e-bay, I did it with mine yesterday and got a quality over 90. You will also need a Ku band LBNF. The polarization of these is different than normal Dish Network LBNF's. HOWEVER, you can't see anything other than the welcom screen. LBNF's, dishes and information about how to point the dish can be found at several places on the web. Here is one link that I have found particualrily helpfull. Note that I am not associated with this company though.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/Satellite-Heading-Calculator.htm

If a round 30" dish has a higher gain than a 36" oval dish then how come didnt Dish use a 30" dish? It seems as if a dish at 29" would pick up a signal about equal to that of a 36" oval so if one had a 25" or 26" dish then it may still work with a lower signal strength in some areas to those that refuse to have a larger dish.

I had read where they used that shape of dish to have extra gain or something.

If a round 30" dish has a higher gain than a 36" oval dish then how come didnt Dish use a 30" dish?
Because they're aiming at multiple satellites. The SuperDish has to focus on three satellite locations (105, 110, and 119). You can't do that on a round dish, which can only focus on one satellite.
[/code]

presently runninf dish 500 quad with 76cm disyh and .6 fss lnb and sw-21

getting

120 - 119
113 - 110
84 - 105

enjoy TV

PZ

The Dish500 is only 2 inches bigger than the Dish300 to pick up two slots vs. one so the difference for three slots should be 4 inches if it were the same frequency. Since it is not the same frequency that must be the reason why the dish has to be shaped different.

Dish could just add the dish in addition to the other one being a smaller size as another option to those that would prefer that over having one huge 36" dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)