A question about DirecTV HD programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davetroy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
I'm new to this site, and I suspect that this has been addressed many times, but it seems to me as if DirecTV is currently concentrating on getting local channels up and running in HD and has put other HD programming on the backburner. Is this true? Can we expect very few HD non-local channels to be added over the next year or so, despite the new satellite.

I recently upgraded to HD and received the HU-20 receiver. But this email I received from DirecTV makes me wonder if I'm going to have to upgrade again when HD local channels become available in my area (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) By the way, I love the line about "Regarding DIRECTV HD programming, high-definition channels are some of the most expensive ones for us to carry." Kind of rude, don't you think, since they're charging us a ridiculous price for them. I don't think they're losing money on HD.

Anyway, the letter:

"Thanks for writing. Our records show that our target date to broadcast local HD channels in your area is June 2006.

I know that HD programming is important to you and DIRECTV is committed to offering the best possible HD experience to you. In recent months, we have launched the first two of four satellites that will allow us to greatly expand our HD local channel offerings.

The two new satellites have allowed us to begin offering HD local channels in several cities, with many more to come later this year. Because our satellite capacity is still limited, we intend to focus on getting HD feeds of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC up in as many cities as possible. When the other two satellites become available, we will be able to begin providing even more channels (including CW, where available) in existing HD local markets, as well as adding new HD markets and more national HD programming.

Once local HD programming launches in your city, you will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement. More details will be available when we launch the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit DIRECTV.com/HD for the latest news.

In the meantime you may be able to get your local HD channels for free by installing an off-air antenna. A local electronics store can recommend an antenna for you.

Regarding DIRECTV HD programming, high-definition channels are some of the most expensive ones for us to carry, both in terms of what we pay the networks to distribute their programming and the technology we use to deliver them. However, we're in constant discussions with program providers to continue adding new channels and programming. In fact, we added TNT HD on February 17 and ESPN 2 HD last fall.

Thanks again for writing and stay tuned to DIRECTV.com/HDTV for the latest news and announcements as they become available."

davetroy said:
I'm new to this site, and I suspect that this has been addressed many times, but it seems to me as if DirecTV is currently concentrating on getting local channels up and running in HD and has put other HD programming on the backburner. Is this true? Can we expect very few HD non-local channels to be added over the next year or so, despite the new satellite.

Have to wait and see. I doubt HD nationals will wait too long. Everyone has rumors, hearsay and complaints, but DirecTV only knows and holds additions close to the vest for very good reasons.

I recently upgraded to HD and received the HU-20 receiver

If you mean the H20 that is the MPEG4 unit, all you would need is the 5 LNB dish if you don't have it.

he should of gotten both the h20 and at9 since after feburary 1 all new hd installs called/required that

I did get the H20 and the AT9. Picture is great on the HD stations, but one of the drawbacks of HD is that it makes regular TV, and that's most of DirecTV, look bad.

DirecTV really should provide the HD feeds on its sports packages, such as MLB and NHL, etc., considering the price that's charged for a subscription. It's pretty annoying to watch a Red Sox game on NESN, see that HD logo in the top right corner and realize you're not getting HD.

davetroy said:
DirecTV really should provide the HD feeds on its sports packages, such as MLB and NHL, etc., considering the price that's charged for a subscription. It's pretty annoying to watch a Red Sox game on NESN, see that HD logo in the top right corner and realize you're not getting HD.

It is not mostly up to them. DBS can't just pull down signals to provide to us.

**RANT**

NESN is doing a disservice to HD-o-philes by putting "NESN HD" on non-HD material. Talk about confusing.

hancox said:
**RANT**

NESN is doing a disservice to HD-o-philes by putting "NESN HD" on non-HD material. Talk about confusing.

or perhaps its their way of "mooning" us satellite customers saying ha ha you cant get this in hd. but with cable u could

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)