A question about transponders, can someone explain?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chipoole

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I am a little confused on the transponder deal. Take my coolsat for example. The satellites I have to choose from have many different TPs already programed in, however when I get tp #(1) to come in with a super high quality signal, tp #2 reads nothing or very little in the quality level. So when I blind scan I only get a few of the channels.

I noticed the the channels are associated with the Tp/sr. If I am only getting one of the tps then I am only getting a fraction of what the satellite has to offer, is that correct?

What if I am looking for a specific station and I know the tp--lets say the station is on amc5. Can I put my satellite setting on IA5, enter in the transponder manually that is associated with my specific channel and then rotate till I get a high signal quality, and then scan to receive that channel. So I would actually be on amc5 with the channel I want, but with the satellite receiver thinking it is on IA5.

With all the different tps, how do I verify which tp I should use when pointing for my truesouth?

I tried to explain my ideas and questions the best could, however, I know it may be a little confusing.

Also wanted to thank everyone who has been helping me understand this stuff better. Thanks

Chipoole

"I am a little confused on the transponder deal. Take my coolsat for example. The satellites I have to choose from have many different TPs already programed in, however when I get tp #(1) to come in with a super high quality signal, tp #2 reads nothing or very little in the quality level. So when I blind scan I only get a few of the channels."

Not all TP's are active all the time on many satellites!

"I noticed the the channels are associated with the Tp/sr. If I am only getting one of the tps then I am only getting a fraction of what the satellite has to offer, is that correct?"

As above, if there is nothing broadcasting on the TP you will see no signal!

"What if I am looking for a specific station and I know the tp--lets say the station is on amc5. Can I put my satellite setting on IA5, enter in the transponder manually that is associated with my specific channel and then rotate till I get a high signal quality, and then scan to receive that channel. So I would actually be on amc5 with the channel I want, but with the satellite receiver thinking it is on IA5."

Yes you can use DiSEqC 1.2 to move the dish watching the signal quality until you hit the satellite, of course you would be best using right name of the satellite you are searching for.

"With all the different tps, how do I verify which tp I should use when pointing for my truesouth?"

If you are not sure ask here just before you start and someone will give you a LIVE channel/TP to use!

Thanks Pete

AMC5 is my TS Sat, which tp do you think I should use when fine tuning?

Thanks
Chipoole

This one is my strongest at 80% signal quality.

DFreq : 12182MHz (H) SR : 23.000 Msps

chipoole said:
So I would actually be on amc5 with the channel I want, but with the satellite receiver thinking it is on IA5.
Chipoole

The transponder and symbol rate data for each satellite can be edited in the receiver. If the channel you want is on AMC-5, but your receiver does not have that data mapped in it, then you edit the data for AMC-5 to adjust the data for what you need for it's transponder, or enter a new transponder on that satellite with the transponder information you need. Keep all of the transponders for AMC-5 under that satellite. This is important because, you set the antenna position for the satellite, not the transponder and if you used other satellites to match the transponders, you would run out of satellites quickly.

Larry, the only point I was trying to make with the statement,
Quote:

So I would actually be on amc5 with the channel I want, but with the satellite receiver thinking it is on IA5.

was that the Channels are associated with the tp/sr rather than the actual satellites. For example, I could do a blind scan thinking I was on g10r and receive Channels and tps that are associated with a completely different satellite due to the fact that I am missing g10r and instead hitting another satellite.

Another question; Can more than one satellite share the same tp/sr?

Thanks
Chipoole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)