A simple request for posters

HDRoberts

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 13, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Not sure where this should be posted:

I am making a request that we use the word local, only to mean the actual local information only available from your mom and pop rebroadcasting facility.
If you mean the National programming available from the national provider, then use National or Network. that way there is less confusion within the industry.

An example would be:
Need help getting locals: (I really want to see bubba riding around on a tractor...)
Need help getting National programming. (I want ABC, NBC...)

It suprises me, the number of washington people that think WE want LIL. I suspect that we really don't want LIL, but rather, access to National programming that we can only get through LIL. I say, to heck with the 2 bit money hungry vampires. Disband the local rebroadcasting network and streamline it to only a few National networks.

Or at least give me the option. If I want my national programming from the local affiliate so be it. But if I would rather get it from a national provider, then let me. It seems that the NAB is scared of this idea, I wonder why? Maybe they suspect, as do I, that the majority of folks would rather not put up with the local used car salesman rading around on a horse. And would opt for the national provider option.

Please no. First, we already have "National programming". That would be whats in AT100, AT200, and AT250.

Plus, I want both. I don't know whats on your local programming, but my local news definitely has way more than bubba on a tractor and a used car salesman riding a horse. Plus, as others have pointed out, local sports. I don't want to have to sub to NFL:ST just to get my Browns just because I'm forced to watch NYC or ATL locals.

Also, there are no true national affiliates. The media already thinks the world revolves around NYC and LA and other "major" cities enough. I don't want to be stuck with their local news and ads for their local stores as well.

I agree, having a set of Distant locals to chose from would be nice to give those with no local HDs an option, not to mention give some nice competition to money hungry locals. But a confusing change in semantics on an internet message board will not change the minds on the NAB and FCC.

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
when I say locals I mean locals, like WHNT NOT ABC. I if want to talk about ABC I would say ABC.

But apparently, most folks don't understand or care about the difference.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I wonder how (& how long) ABC, NBC & CBS can be "held back" and required to distribute their product thru local OTA stations only (more or less)? What is the intrinsic difference between them and the History Channel, HBO, BBC America or others?

Eventually, it would seem this disadvantage to these networks will result in their decline, as they are less competitive. Didn't one of them just cut back on prime time hours recently?

thedamaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
South Bend, IN
I would be interested to see how a local NBC competes against a cable national version. Something like USA but with the NBC programing.

This would certainly show a station how much there local content is valued. With good local programming they should have the advantage.

Personally I find my local news alerts to be intrusive most of the time during programming and would watch the cable national version especially during prime time.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
I wonder how (& how long) ABC, NBC & CBS can be "held back" and required to distribute their product thru local OTA stations only (more or less)? What is the intrinsic difference between them and the History Channel, HBO, BBC America or others?

Eventually, it would seem this disadvantage to these networks will result in their decline, as they are less competitive. Didn't one of them just cut back on prime time hours recently?

Uh, it's a siginificant advantage, not a disadvantage.

They get paid money by the local affiliates. :eek:

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia
Not sure where this should be posted:

I am making a request that we use the word local, only to mean the actual local information only available from your mom and pop rebroadcasting facility.
If you mean the National programming available from the national provider, then use National or Network. that way there is less confusion within the industry.

An example would be:
Need help getting locals: (I really want to see bubba riding around on a tractor...)
Need help getting National programming. (I want ABC, NBC...)

It suprises me, the number of washington people that think WE want LIL. I suspect that we really don't want LIL, but rather, access to National programming that we can only get through LIL. I say, to heck with the 2 bit money hungry vampires. Disband the local rebroadcasting network and streamline it to only a few National networks.

Or at least give me the option. If I want my national programming from the local affiliate so be it. But if I would rather get it from a national provider, then let me. It seems that the NAB is scared of this idea, I wonder why? Maybe they suspect, as do I, that the majority of folks would rather not put up with the local used car salesman rading around on a horse. And would opt for the national provider option.
The NAB and AFTRA( union) have avested interrest in maintaining the current system. The elimination of the local tv station system would mean the loss of 10's of thousands of jobs. The NAB and the union srepresenting tv workers and performers have very powerful lobbies on Capitol Hill.
I think the system has to be modernized. If the local tv system is to be kept in place then the rules limiting where they can be viewed should be relaxed. No gets hurt if a viewer in Miami wishews ot watch the news out of home town in NY

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA

Maybe they'd get paid MORE by the satcos and cablecos directly. Maybe. Especially as they would get true nationwide coverage.

The NAB does not have the clout it once did. Might have a resurgence in the near future, though.

pabeader

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 18, 2004
OTP Georgia
another thing i hate about locals is that they muck around with the programming. i remember a number of times where i was expecting to see XYZ program and the local affiliate elected to show something different. or the local out of FT. Wayne had the program i wanted, but i was stuck with South Bend. at least the 'national' broadcasters could be ecpected to leave things alone.

boomer69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 4, 2008
Indianapolis, IN

You've got that backwards there, bubba!!!...:rolleyes:

The networks pay the local affiliates to run their network programming, but that may soon come to an end as the nets are balking at paying the affiliates now that cable and sat viewership has pretty much saturated the audience!!!...:(

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Hmmm. I didn't even catch that.

No matter, the OTA business plan seems less tenable every day, and is bringing down the traditional 3 with it. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see free OTA broadcasts continue. At least until after I die. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts