A site that list % of HD content per channel

kvnfl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
SWFL
The web site Where is HD ? list all the HD channels available per carrier in your area and list the percentage of actual HD content the channels provide. It is really sad:

SciFi 12%
Food 11%
USA 58%
Vs/Glf 3%

thats great, and I kept tellin my Direct tv buds that they aren't really wacthin much HD so you can't say yer the leader when the percentages are that low, now with dish rollin out new hd we are seein it as well

TNTHD: 100%
TBSHD: 100%

lol.

That erroneous statement makes me question the entire site and how they developed their percentages.
There is a footnote, "The HD% for this network is currently disputed by WhereIsHD.com users."

The definition of that column in the table is:

The ratio of HD vs. non-HD content calculated by viewable minutes as reported by the programmer
I'm sure they're looking at guide data from somewhere. Of course the programmers are very forthright in their definitions...

TBS Exec: "Stretch that picture until it fills the screen so we can call it HD"

You now need to count number or movies/shows/etc in HD that aren't repeated vs. each channel..

VOOM Avg'd down to 3 shows a night.. others 4-5.. things that make you go hmmm..

There is a footnote, "The HD% for this network is currently disputed by WhereIsHD.com users."
It is being disputed and yet they don't change it. That still makes me question the entire site and how they determine the percentages. Based on other comments here, I think others agree.

Oh, and sorry about your monitor Ronald_Jeremy.

It is being disputed and yet they don't change it. That still makes me question the entire site and how they determine the percentages. Based on other comments here, I think others agree.

How they determine percentages:

*HD% = The ratio of HD vs. non-HD content calculated by viewable programming minutes as reported by the programmer.

It says that my local NBC station has 46% HD.

I used to work there. It is a 480P station. They simply feed the analog signal into a digital converter.

I didn't bother to go any further.

The site is questionable. When determining a channel % of HD content, you need to consider two factors. How much HD and how much repeat?

Some are ok with going SD without repeats. Others like their 24/7 with repeats.

Here is what I consider the top of the line HD channels when it comes to HD content:

HDnet
HDnet Movies
Cinemax HD
HBO HD
Starz HD
Showtime HD
NTGEO HD
MGM HD
SMITH HD

Then comes the Networks

ABC HD
CBS HD
NBC HD
Fox HD
WC HD
myNetwork HD

Here comes the repeaters

History HD
Scien HD
Animal HD
Disc HD
Max West HD
5 MAx HD
UNIHD
HDTHR
MHD

Then comes the bottom list

ESPN HD
ESPN HD2
ESPNews HD
SCIFI HD
USA HD
TNT HD
TBS HD
A&E HD
VS/GF HD
NBATV HD

Here comes the occassional bottom of the list HD

toon hd
food hd
hgtv hd
tdis hd
hmc hd
tenis hd
cnbc hd
twc hd
nfl hd
Bravo HD

My local NBC's .2 sub-channel is listed as having 2% HD programming. I'll bet the station will tell that's NEVER happened....

None of those numbers look right. Even if they were right they would not be an accurate representation of which channels carry the most HD content. Who gives a rats ass if the infomercials that run all night on some channels are not in hd. There's 25% of your programming. What about commercials? 20% there. People aren't watching that stuff anyway. And obviously those seinfeld reruns are not going to be HD. What about WWII footage on History?

What I look for is the date. If the original air date of the episode is post 2006 then I would expect it to be in HD. Everything else is understandable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)