Please reply by conversation.

steve615

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jan 6, 2006
TN
I have a new post that I think will make for an interesting thread in this forum.After much debating and reading alot of threads on this site,I decided to take the plunge and place a call to DIRECTV as a new subscriber.I talked to a friendly guy at the first number that I called ( 1-888-238-7177 ) and asked him if I could get a 2 room HD installation for $199 + tax.He stated that he thought that I could do that,but,I would have to call another number to make the deal.So,he gives me another number to call ( 1-888-777-2454 ) I place a call to this number and begin a conversation with another guy.He makes the afore mentioned offer and I agree to it.He asks for my SSN for the credit check,I give him that info.Then he says that he needs to put me on hold and that he will be right back.While I am on hold,the call gets disconnected.I hang up and place another call back to this number,but,this time,I speak with a lady.I stated to her what my situation was,that I got disconnected while I was on hold.She apologizes and asks if she can put me on hold to see if she can get me back in touch with this guy.After approx. 1 minute of hold time,she comes back on the line and states that she has this guy that I spoke to originally sitting directly across from her.So,we attempt to get this deal done and I get disconnected again.Well,the phone company in my area has been installing new lines in the area,so,I figure that there is a problem on my end.I call the number back,but talk to another lady this time,explain to her what has happened.She states that she can't do anything for me and gives me yet another number to call ( 1-888-515-1212 ) I call this number,go through the prompts for a new customer and it transfers me to a lady in the tech department.:confused: Well,I calmly explain to her what my situation is and she is very kind and apologizes.We talk for approx. 5 minutes and she asks me if she can put me on hold and that she will attempt a call to sales department.When she comes back on the line,she states to me that somehow,she ended up contacting the first guy that I was in touch with.She asks me what my phone number is so she can verify the number with the guy in sales.He had listed the wrong area code on his computer when we originally spoke about an hour prior to this.So,she gives him the correct phone number and asks him twice to verify the number.She says that he will attempt to call.I get a beep on the line while I am still on the phone with her.I put her on hold and sure enough,it is the first guy that I talked to when all of this started,LOL!!I thank the lady most kindly for helping me out and get back on the line with him.He is very apologetic about what had transpired.I stated to him that he is one hard person to get in touch with and we both laughed.He said that the number he was calling to try to get in touch with me was putting him through to a French speaking lady somewhere in Canada.:eek: I am biting my bottom lip to keep from laughing now.Then he apologizes once again about the runaround that I had been through to make a deal with him.He asks me how would I like to get 2 H20 receivers and the AT9 dish installed free of charge.I asked him twice if this was some kind of error,I am basically in shock.:eek: He tells me no,that I heard him right.He states that he had talked to his supervisor about what had happened to me and got the authorization to offer me this deal.Of course,I said ok to that.We go through the rest of the steps to finalize the transaction,credit card number,address,verify the phone number again.He gives me an order ID number,a billing account number and another 800 number to call for order support to verify the installation.I ask him one more time if I am getting this free of charge and he says yes and Merry Christmas,he said he felt like that was the least he could do,seeing how I had been on the phone to three different numbers trying to get back in touch with him to make this deal,that I was willing to pay $199 + tax for to begin with.Installation is scheduled for March 3,between 8AM-NOON.So,how is that for interesting reading.Oh,the receivers are also mine to keep,this is not a lease deal,I made sure of that while I was on the phone with this guy also.I did have to agree to the 2 year Total Choice sub to get this deal done.After all of that,I am now a new DIRECTV customer.:up :) Altogether,I spent almost 2 hours on the phone while all of this took place.I figure that's not too bad,considering what I ended up getting for free.:)

Last edited:
I have a question in regards to the new dish ( AT9 ) that DIRECTV is installing.I still have a DISH 500 ( former DISH customer ) mounted on a sturdy wood post that I will be taking down soon.How much bigger and heavier is this dish,does anyone have info in regards to the dimensions and weight of this dish?Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.:)

steve615 said:
I have a question in regards to the new dish ( AT9 ) that DIRECTV is installing.I still have a DISH 500 ( former DISH customer ) mounted on a sturdy wood post that I will be taking down soon.How much bigger and heavier is this dish,does anyone have info in regards to the dimensions and weight of this dish?Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.:)

Here you go

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display_print.asp?PROD=AT59

steve615 said:
...Altogether,I spent almost 2 hours on the phone while all of this took place.I figure that's not too bad,considering what I ended up getting for free.:)

So, when all is said and done, you gave your SSN/Credit Card info during a telephone call that you did not originate.
:eek:

SaltiDawg said:
So, when all is said and done, you gave your SSN/Credit Card info during a telephone call that you did not originate.
:eek:
I have the number from where this guy called me back.It is a DIRECTV number.It showed up on my caller ID when the call came in.The call originated from Miami,FL.I went another step farther and called the first 800 number that I started with to verify if the Miami number was another DIRECTV point of contact and they verified that for me.

Last edited:
FlyingJ said:
A couple of red flags there....
I just called 1-888-238-7177 to verify all of my info again,to be on the safe side.This number is a DIRECTV number,is that correct?According to the lady that I just spoke to,this is a new customer order,to be installed on Fri. March 3 between 8AM-NOON.

steve615 said:
...The call originated from Miami,FL.I went another step farther and called the first 800 number that I started with to verify if the Miami number was another DIRECTV point of contact and they verified that for me.

I love that little window on my Caller ID - the one that says "City/State." :D

FlyingJ said:
Soundsgood to me when I dial the number...I have never used that particular number before but it sounds legit.
Thanks for the reply FlyingJ.:) Believe me,I've been scratching my head,still wondering how I got this deal,but,it does seem to be legit.

SaltiDawg said:
I love that little window on my Caller ID - the one that says "City/State." :D
LOL,I agree.Caller ID sure comes in handy.:D

I am listing the numbers that I called in the order that I called them in last night.Please feel free to try all of these numbers to see if you guys think they are all legit DIRECTV numbers.First number called was:1-888-238-7177.Second number called was:1-888-777-2454.Third number called was:1-888-515-1212.These are the phone numbers that I called during my adventure to set up a new customer account.

FlyingJ said:
I would try the ever trusty...1 800 Directv number just to verify again
Thanks for the reply FlyingJ,I will sure try that number too.

How is this a great deal?
I have installed 6 of the same deal in the past week. No charge to the sub just 14.95 shipping and handling.

The deal you got is not that unusual, and I would say you are 95% safe in what you did with your private information. 5% is still kinda scray though.

I just called 1 800 DIRECTV and they verified all of the info too.Equipment,install date,acct. number.It seems legit to me.:)

grydlok said:
How is this a great deal?
I have installed 6 of the same deal in the past week. No charge to the sub just 14.95 shipping and handling.
That is good news for 6 customers,for sure.I have read countless threads and posts in the DIRECTV forums,but,I haven't seen any threads listed on here that mention this kind of deal.Shipping and handling charge was waived too.2 H20 receivers installed absolutely free of any charges.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)