A suggestion to Chuck Dolan and VOOM

Walter L.

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 29, 2004
Portland, Oregon
My suggestion is simply to create two new HD channels using all content that VOOM21 has.

1) Rainbow-HD - all non-movie content of VOOM21 (Equator, Rave, Rush, WorldSports, ect.)
2) Rainbow-HD Cinema - all movie content

The channels would become part of "Rainbow Media" and be available to ALL Cable and DBS providers that want it (like they do with WE, IFC, ect.)

Sounds good. It would be more compelling then the way they do it now. Things would be repeated much less (hopefully)

Except it would be unnerving to have a Rave video followed by the Takacs Quartet Plays Beethoven (Gallery HD), followed by soccer highlights, followed by Monet in Giverny (Gallery), followed by Snow P.I.G. It would be like the old black and white TV before channel specialization. Kind of a grab bag of programming -- perhaps something to offend everybody.

1080iBeVuMin said:
It would be like the old black and white TV before channel specialization. Kind of a grab bag of programming -- perhaps something to offend everybody.
Damn that sounds like a great channel.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Except it would be unnerving to have a Rave video followed by the Takacs Quartet Plays Beethoven (Gallery HD), followed by soccer highlights, followed by Monet in Giverny (Gallery), followed by Snow P.I.G. It would be like the old black and white TV before channel specialization. Kind of a grab bag of programming -- perhaps something to offend everybody.
The concept is similar to "HDNet" and "HDNet Movies". It must be limited to only 2 channels because otherwise, it would be too hard to sell multiple channels to a provider.

It just dawned on me if it was called Rainbow-HD it could only include content from Divine-HD :D :D

That'd mean a lot of lost / wasted content. The Cinema 10 could definitely stand being squeezed down to a single channel, but I think a lot of Voom's other original channels are good enough to warrant survival on their own.

Rave, News, Monsters and Animania are the ones which I think could make the strongest cases for survival (although Monsters is sort of an oddball, as it's really just an extension of Cinema 10, albeit with content that tends to be more interesting).

EquatorHD might also have a case... I like to think of it and Rave as being my chance to see PBS HD content in actual HD, since my local PBS station seems to think it's funny to try and split its digital real estate five ways.

Hadn't been to the SatelliteGuys forum in months -- just a smidgeon disappointing to re-visit them today and learn that my Voom might go away soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)