A tuner not available for use...when it should be

ebizlee

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Nashville
I apologize in advance, I am not quite sure I know how to explain this. I have 1H/2J. But every now and then, I am watching a show (say, on the hopper) and I am through watching it so I turn off the TV. Later, when down on one of the Joeys, it says I am still watching the show on the Hopper and won't let me grab a tuner to watch anything else (I am recording something on the other open tuner). I want to watch a show, but it says I don't have any tuners left, but I really do have 1. I can watch what is running on the Hopper from the Joey, but I don't want to do that. I have to go to the Hopper and change the channel.

I thought this Hopper/Joey system was with the 2 open tuners (lets take PTAT out of the equation for now) was like a pool. I could record / watch 2 shows anywhere on the 3 devices. Is it device specific?

Sorry again, I wish I had a more definative user case. This has happened a couple times and it is frustrating to not be able to watch a show even though there is a tuner available (in my mind). Maybe I don't quite undestand the full interoperability of the tuners between the devices yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, I am recording something at the time of this occurrence. I never turn off the hopper (as I never turned off the 722). Should I be powering down the Hopper when I finish watching from there? What about the joeys? Don't they rely on the hopper to be running>

A. My experience with "sharing" the tuner is that I can change the channel from either location, but I get the message that doing so will "interrupt the viewing" on the other set.

B. Don't just turn off the TV at the hopper. I "turn off" the hopper as well. This releases any "watching" tuners at the Hopper but does not affect "recording" tuners.

The Hopper continues to "run" even when its outputs are turned off. Turning off the Hopper will allow the tuner that was in use to be availble to the Joeys.

You said you turn off the TV. Unless it it's at the end of it's run, you would need to stop the recording as well.

A. My experience with "sharing" the tuner is that I can change the channel from either location, but I get the message that doing so will "interrupt the viewing" on the other set.

B. Don't just turn off the TV at the hopper. I "turn off" the hopper as well. This releases any "watching" tuners at the Hopper but does not affect "recording" tuners.

Yep, you can either turn off your hopper when you are done with it or just change the channel from your joey if you know no one is watching on the hopper. Just push the red button on your remote and grab one of the tuners that isn't currently recording something.

you should be able to watch any tuner on any TV at any time. All 3 TVs can be watching tuner 1 while tuners 2 and 3 are not in use or even recording on them. Sounds like a glitch with your system.

I would suggest resetting your hopper, unplug Joey, remove coax from Joey, plug in Joey, wait 1 minute, unplug Joey, wait for hopper to be watching tv, connect coax to Joey, plug in Joey, follows steps on screen to link Joey with hopper.

you should be able to watch any tuner on any TV at any time. All 3 TVs can be watching tuner 1 while tuners 2 and 3 are not in use or even recording on them. Sounds like a glitch with your system.

I would suggest resetting your hopper, unplug Joey, remove coax from Joey, plug in Joey, wait 1 minute, unplug Joey, wait for hopper to be watching tv, connect coax to Joey, plug in Joey, follows steps on screen to link Joey with hopper.

There is no glitch there. If you leave your hopper on it automatically uses 2 tuners for PIP purposes even if you aren't watching PIP at the time. If you add a recording into the mix it would show as all 3 tuners being used even though no one is actually watching TV on the hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)