A/V over Cat5e

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I have been searching without success. Is there an inexpensive way to run audio and video over cat5e cable? I have a HD DVR connected to my TV with HDMI. I want to use one of the other outputs, connect it to cat5e, and then on the other end have it connect to a second TV. It doesn't matter if the picture is SD or HD on the second TV. I'm looking for a cheep solution.

I already know that doing this will require watching the same show on both TV's at the same time, and that is fine. I know I can do this with coax and a RF modulator but, don't have the RG6 run and do have the cat5e ran.

Thanks in advance.

Would probably be more cost effective to run the RF Mod set up and a new line or get enough Composite cable and run it to the new room. There is even a Wireless TV jack you can get that will transmit the TV OUT to another room. Kinda like high tech rabbit ears.

Man, these companies like to make it difficult and expensive. You likely don't need any of that gear for a short distance run in your own house.

Here is what I did. I had a direct cat-5 run between the two rooms with a standard wallplate at each end. I found some old patch cables with RCA plugs on both ends, a couple feet long. Cut them in half, solder one half to one of the four pairs of a cat-5 wire. Clean up and seal with electrical tape or heatshrink tube. Put a standard ethernet plug on the other end. When you're done you have something with an ethernet plug on one end and four RCA plugs on the other end. This works fine for composite video and audio.

Leviton makes a "jack" that has an RCA on the front and a punchdown block on the back. Just put 1 pair of your 4 pair wire on each of 3 RCA jacks and have a leftover pair for a phone line.....you can fit it all in a 4 port plate (they sell them at Home Depot) in the Teledata area.

Hubbell also makes these.

Good Luck!

Ace

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts