A very exciting FTA install for me this weekend...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
OK - I just had to share my excitement for an FTA install that I am going to be doing this upcoming Sunday afternoon. It has been in the works for a while and has been delayed by weather, and by me travelling for work for weeks on end, but this weekend the install is finally going to happen.

This Sunday I am going out to install, absolutely free, an FTA setup for a family in need. Their 3 year old girl has a brain tumor and she has been battling the cancerous tumor for the past 2 years. The family has spent all of their money (and most likely also money that they didn't have) on travel expenses for chemo treatments, so their monthly budget for tv is $0. They have been watching tv for the past 2 years via rabbit ears, which in my area doesn't get you much. (3, possibly 4 channels such as - A-Channel London, CBC, CFMT and TVO). This weekend, they are going to be introduced to Galaxy 18 (and in 6 to 8 weeks time AMC 21).

I want to publicly thank Iceberg for donating a Fortec receiver and diseqc switches, and I also want to thank phlatwound for donating money which was used to purchase coax cable, a couple small power bars a Sonic Voom AC3 decoder, and an RF modulator that will combine the video from the Fortec receiver with the audio from the Sonic Voom AC3 decoder. I am donating my 31" Alphastar dish, and a Satpros receiver so that the parents can have tv in their room at night, or at least watch shows that are different than the kids are watching.

They are very excited to be able to watch the RTN networks, ABC and FOX. (and after PBS moves to AMC21, they are looking forward to the PBS feeds). My plan is to try get both Galaxy 18 and AMC21 on the same reflector. If I am unable to somehow get both birds on 1 dish, then I'll just get another 31 to 33 inch dish and install it beside the first dish. Iceberg had a suggestion of getting a SuperDISH LNB which has stacked FSS LNBs inside to pull in 123 and 125 on the same reflector - I'm going to investigate the possibility of doing that before I drill more holes into the side of their rental house to put up the 2nd dish.

(Hey Sadoun and SatelliteAV - have you ever looked at the possibility of fashioning some sort of 2 degree stacked LNB setup? After PBS moves to 125, I think that it could be quite popular for people to want 123/125 on a single reflector :) )

Anyways, thanks to all who had PM'd me with suggestions back earlier this year with suggestions on how to get dishes and equipment. What ended up working out was just the generosity of individuals.

Hey David,

Glad to hear this is coming together, I hope it brings some joy to Olivia and her family in these tough times. Thank YOU for doing this for them.

Jody :)

A very nice thing to do. Occurs to me that I have spare parts for Ku here in South California.

I'm sure there is someone in need I could help.

Thanks for giving me an idea. Maybe I can help someone too.

It is nice to "pay it forward" now and again. I figure that it is possible for a single individual to make a big difference in somebody else's life. I'm hoping that by providing them with a little more tv to watch, they've got something to help them take their mind off of money issues, health issues and just a means to escape reality for even a little while.

Lone Cloud - I'd highly recommend doing this for a family in need.. There is a lot of personal satisfaction in knowing that you alone have made a difference in somebody's life..

Great to hear it Dave. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and they can see a little more TV then what they already have

(oh and pics would be nice too) ;)

Hi Iceberg. Yes, I intend to bring my camera to take pictures of my handy-work.. I'm pretty sure that everything will go smoothly - there is only a 30% chance of rain that day. I've already got the dish assembled, and the elevation as well as LNB skew already set. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to spend time setting the receivers back to factory defaults and re-scanning for the channels and labelling them with more descriptive labels.

I'll post pictures on Sunday night or sometime Monday.

That’s a wonderful thing you are doing there Davage.

I do something similar with computers. I get older machines that don’t do XP or Vista very well donated to me via friends and local connections. The hard drives are wiped clean and a fresh install of Linux goes on them. We find folks in need of a computer via the Church or Rotary Club and set them up. We even have a local ISP that offers low or no cost dial up internet service to people on a tight budget.

You are absolutely right when you say “There is a lot of personal satisfaction in knowing that you alone have made a difference in somebody's life..” That's the best part about it.

They have been watching tv for the past 2 years via rabbit ears, which in my area doesn't get you much. (3, possibly 4 channels such as - A-Channel London, CBC, CFMT and TVO).

Is it possible to install a rooftop antenna to grab more OTA signals? I installed an outdoor antenna last year and now I have 13 main digital channels not including the subs (ChX.2, ChX.3 etc.)

Hi Iceberg. Yes, I intend to bring my camera to take pictures of my handy-work.. I'm pretty sure that everything will go smoothly - there is only a 30% chance of rain that day. I've already got the dish assembled, and the elevation as well as LNB skew already set. Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to spend time setting the receivers back to factory defaults and re-scanning for the channels and labelling them with more descriptive labels.

I'll post pictures on Sunday night or sometime Monday.

Can't wait to see the pictures David :)

Is it possible to install a rooftop antenna to grab more OTA signals?
I installed an outdoor antenna last year and now I have 13 main digital channels not including the subs (ChX.2, ChX.3 etc.)
I support this idea, too! - :up

And, on a parallel note, are you close enough to a US boarder that our digital converter boxes might be used to get USA TV?
If you are beyond 50 miles from a big US city, then I wouldn't bother.

Here in Los Angeles, we have 20+ stations, broadcasting 50+ total channels and subchannels.
(some of which is stuff you see on FTA like Ion and Qubo, plus there's also a generous helping of Spanish language stations)

Oh, and as to pictures, we'd love to see your handiwork, but probably best to not include shots with any of the people involved. - :rolleyes:

Davage, if you are in need of anything, I'm about an hour east of Toronto, but work in Markham and stay in Markham during the weekdays. If things were better for me I would gladly help you with the install, but unfortunately, my Farther is in the final stages of cancer right now. We have gone through the Chemo, nuclear and now they are just keeping him comfortable. Unfortunately he only a few days left. However if you end up short of anything, I'll gladly send you either some of my extra equipement or make a donation to help the family out. (and not just for the satellite) Fortunately, our medical system is extremely good for people with cancer in this area. We had many trips to the Oshawa hospital and they have a remarkable cancer centre. Many of the U.S. will not belive it when I say, in the waiting rooms, you see all people from the very rich to very poor all treated equally and with respect. The helpers and volunteers are ever so nice to all. It just really pains me when I see some of the very young who come in for their treatments. Please pass on my very best wishes for the family, and be sure to P.M. me if I can help out either with some of my equipement or a donation to the family.

Successful Install!

The install went well today! The family years ago had Bell ExpressVu, but had to cancel service when money got tight. My plan was to simply replace the ExpressVu dish with the 31" Alphastar dish, but I ran into a snag.. The snag being an evergreen tree that was completely blocking 123 West. I fired up the Fortec receiver and with the dish on the ground I moved from location to location until I figured out a spot where we could get signal and then moved the mount to that new location. In the attached pictures you can see the tight squeeze that we're pulling signal through.

Iceberg, in the one picture you will see the new home for your old Fortec receiver. Platwound, on top of that receiver is the Sonic Voom AC3 decoder that they are using to get some of the AC3 channels on Galaxy 18, and in 6 to 8 weeks from now they'll be using that same decoder to get the PBS channels after PBS migrates to AMC21.

This was a really fantasic gift to give to the family, and I didn't realize when I was putting together the system , but the nurses who come to their house a few times during the week to spend the night taking care of the girl when she wakes up speak Spanish. The nurses will absolutely love having the ability to watch Univision during the night instead of just the few static filled English and French language channels that they were receiving via rabbit ears. The landlord wouldn't allow them to put up a tower for for an OTA antenna (Actually I think it was the landlord's wife who wouldn't allow the tower), so their only option for the past couple of years has been indoor rabbit ears. The family is very pleased with their new found channel selection, and as I mentioned earlier, the nurses are going to enjoy going to spend the night with the family instead of dreading the overnight shift at their house with pretty much nothing to watch on tv.

Thanks again to everyone for their support, and especially Iceberg and phlatwound who helped out with equipment and money..

I'm pretty sure this won't be the last free FTA install I do. The little girl's mother is starting a foundation/support mechanism to help other families who's children's heath is fragile. I am going to tell her to keep an eye out for any families who are in need of a system. I have another Satpros receiver sitting here as well as a bunch of LNBs. I'm going to start hunting down any 31" Starchoice dishes I can get my hands on...

Anyways.. That's the update. Complete Success!

Attachments

• OliviaDish 001.jpg
    OliviaDish 001.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 349
  • OliviaDish 002.jpg
    OliviaDish 002.jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 297
  • OliviaDish 004.jpg
    OliviaDish 004.jpg
    997.9 KB · Views: 269
  • OliviaDish 007.jpg
    OliviaDish 007.jpg
    933.6 KB · Views: 272
That's pretty awesome. I think people usually think of t.v. as frivolous (and don't get me wrong, it can be), but when you're in a situation like that I'm sure you would be glad to take advantage of any diversion you get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts