A very sad day for me

fenwah

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
The good news:
My wife and I just plunked down a large sum of money to begin construction on our new custom built house in this 1200 acre master planned community. We can't wait to move in sometime in January/February 2006.

The bad news:
The Homeowners association prohibits satellite dishes of any kind on either the house or in the lot. Therefore, I'm going to have to go back to cable early 2006.

The price you pay for living in a master planned community. Perhaps the community and the cable company are in cohoots with each other. ;)

They can not prohibit you from having a Dish, that is against federal law. :)

I dont have the links in front of me but do a search and enjoy your dish at your new house. :D

Link

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

They CANNOT prohibit you from putting it on your own property :)

from the OTARD
The rule is cited as 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 and has been in effect since October 14, 1996. It prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to- home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

Iceberg said:
Link

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

They CANNOT prohibit you from putting it on your own property :)

from the OTARD
The rule is cited as 47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000 and has been in effect since October 14, 1996. It prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to- home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her either. I still have 6-7 more months to enjoy Dish.

We're also not allowed to have any kind of fence or storage shed. Therefore we have to install an invisible fence for our dog, and we bumped up to a 3.5 car garage for added storage room. Kinda like living in a Nazi neighborhood...but the houses are spectacular. At least the neighborhood is full of kids, so our kids will have plenty of friends.

Perhaps after living there for a few years, I might bring this up at a homeowner's association meeting. I just don't want to piss off too many people in the neighborhood after just moving in there.

Or better yet...I will anonymously submit this information to the association.

fenwah said:
I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her either. I still have 6-7 more months to enjoy Dish.

you cant let these nazi HOA's run around like that. Believe me...I have one that tries this crap with our area.

-New guy moves in and becomes head of HOA 4 months later
-sees fat man next door has a dish farm on his roof (5 of them)
-HOA tries to erect a "one dish" rule
-fat man shows them FCC ruling stating they cannot prohibit me from putting up 1 or 2 or 143 dishes
-HOA allows multiple dishes

Iceberg said:
you cant let these nazi HOA's run around like that. Believe me...I have one that tries this crap with our area.

-New guy moves in and becomes head of HOA 4 months later
-sees fat man next door has a dish farm on his roof (5 of them)
-HOA tries to erect a "one dish" rule
-fat man shows them FCC ruling stating they cannot prohibit me from putting up 1 or 2 or 143 dishes
-HOA allows multiple dishes

That's funny. My coworker is having a real hard time putting in a nice iron-type architectural fence around his lot. It's a great looking fence. However, the HOA won't let him put it up because they exclude any type of fence that is made of metal. When they originally wrote this clause, it was meant to keep out chain linked fence. However, he CAN put in real cheap wood fence...and no one would object. He's fighting this as well.

It's a messed up world ain't it?

Wow, compromise for the sake of image. Never in a million... eh, forget it.

Enjoy your new house!

I live in one of the strictest HOAs in the nation here in Phoenix and you will do absolutely ZERO harm (then them or yourself) by putting up a dish, and if you are getting indication from your soon to be neighbors that they will object, then I propose they aren't going to be good neighbors anyway. Put up your dish! There is nothing they can do at all. Life your own life the way you see fit. Heck I have 2 dishes and a HDTV OTA.

so you're saying your HOA would have a coronary if they saw this on my roof? :)

(yes this is my setup...well sort of)
the dish at the far left is now a 24" motorized :)

Attachments

• Picture 082.jpg
    Picture 082.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 654
I bet there are a whole lot of others in your same boat. They want a dish but dont know about Satelliteguys. They are prolly saying they dont want to piss you off. Just something to think about.

My wife and I sold our first house last year because of the HOA. I will never ever again move in a house that's part of a HOA. We left because of the neighbors who were running it, not because of our dish.

Iceberg said:
so you're saying your HOA would have a coronary if they saw this on my roof? :)

(yes this is my setup...well sort of)
the dish at the far left is now a 24" motorized :)

Not as long as was no more than 3' above the roof line or in the front yard. They can easily prove safety concerns in the front yard, and I tend to agree; even your home owner's insurance will balk at covering them in the front yard. That is basically all a HOA can restrict you to these days.

bryan92 said:
I bet there are a whole lot of others in your same boat that dont know about Satelliteguys and want to do the same thing but dont want to piss you off. Just something to think about.

I'm not part of the HOA :)

What was funny is when they tried to erect the rule, the head of the HOA had 2 dishes (Minneapolis has a must carry).

In the 8 houses in our area (there are 25 total), 6 have dishes
on my side it goes
-DirecTV
-me
-HOA head (2 dishes)
-Dish

other side
-Superdish
-cable
-cable
-Superdish and a wing dish

When I brought this to their attention, there were 3 people who wanted to get a second dish for the must carry and they were asking permission. I showed them the form and the HOA people laughed at the head, since they didnt care how many dishes we put up. It was just him.

He is no longer the head anymore :)

You're paying a premium to have stuck up neighbors tell you what you can do and can't do with your property. Never in a million years would I move into one of those neighborhoods. Just think, every time you do something your neighbors are going to be watching and taking notes. I would put the dish up and if your neighbors are mad about it do you really want to live with neighbors like that? :no

Ice your are 1000% correct and your story is almost 95% exactly like everyone elses. They just don't know the law, nor to they really know how easy it is to get things done with an HOA. That remaining 5% really just want cable and use HOAs as an excuse. HOAs make rules a bit overkill sometimes because of some really bad residents in the past, but with the proper knowledge things get done correctly and damn near for free. I wouldn't live without a HOA ever again, but I will also be the first to challenge a bad ruling.

Iceberg said:
I'm not part of the HOA :)

What was funny is when they tried to erect the rule, the head of the HOA had 2 dishes (Minneapolis has a must carry).

In the 8 houses in our area (there are 25 total), 6 have dishes
on my side it goes
-DirecTV
-me
-HOA head (2 dishes)
-Dish

other side
-Superdish
-cable
-cable
-Superdish and a wing dish

When I brought this to their attention, there were 3 people who wanted to get a second dish for the must carry and they were asking permission. I showed them the form and the HOA people laughed at the head, since they didnt care how many dishes we put up. It was just him.

He is no longer the head anymore :)
I was talking about Fenwah. Sorry, I should have quoted it. I've read enough of your post to know what you would do. :D

I live in a controlled subdivision as well. I have 3 Dishes, all on back of house, all of the other houses on our Cul-De-Sac have Dish except for 2, one other has 3 dishes, the rest have supdishes. Most are on the sides or backs of the houses, but 2 are on the roof towards the front of the houses. No big deal, just part of life. We get irritated when we leave our camper in the drive over a few days because the head cheese will call because he can see it from his house. So now he let us keep it at his shed, about 1/2 mile away, even let me put in Plug to power it all season so it's ready to go.

If you want Dish, wire for it ahead of time and go for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)