A very sad day for me

Darkman and others. You bring up good points.

Overall, It should be simple, THINK before you buy!

If you want to be in a "restricted" neighborhood, then purchase a home there and plan to live by the rules. Remember, they are enforcing the restrictions that are part of the property and you agreed to when you purchased your home. If the HOA folks are being too pickey on their interpretation of the rules, then show up at the HOA annual meeting with your friends and vote-in other people.

If you want the freedom to do whatever you want, then don't buy a home in a restricted neighborhood.

fenwah said:
I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her either. I still have 6-7 more months to enjoy Dish.

We're also not allowed to have any kind of fence or storage shed. Therefore we have to install an invisible fence for our dog, and we bumped up to a 3.5 car garage for added storage room. Kinda like living in a Nazi neighborhood...but the houses are spectacular. At least the neighborhood is full of kids, so our kids will have plenty of friends.

Perhaps after living there for a few years, I might bring this up at a homeowner's association meeting. I just don't want to piss off too many people in the neighborhood after just moving in there.

Or better yet...I will anonymously submit this information to the association.

Hmm.. I wonder if I'm pissing off the home owners association in my neighborhood? I have a half a million dollar lawsuit against one of the head association members and developer of the neighborhood. (Long story, but he totally deserves the suit.)

fenwah said:
I emailed this information to my wife. She came back with what I knew she would say...that is she doesn't want to burn any bridges being the new family in the neighborhood. I can't disagree with her either. I still have 6-7 more months to enjoy Dish.

We're also not allowed to have any kind of fence or storage shed. Therefore we have to install an invisible fence for our dog, and we bumped up to a 3.5 car garage for added storage room. Kinda like living in a Nazi neighborhood...but the houses are spectacular. At least the neighborhood is full of kids, so our kids will have plenty of friends.

Perhaps after living there for a few years, I might bring this up at a homeowner's association meeting. I just don't want to piss off too many people in the neighborhood after just moving in there.

Or better yet...I will anonymously submit this information to the association.

There is a big difference between "burning bridges" and "standing up for your right" I would be a role model for your neihbors and your children and show them you will stand up for what you believe in. If you want satellite then put up a dish. Becuase there is a law that protects your rights there. If they say something tel thenm you want a 20 ft tall brick fence to surround your property and you "compromised" and put up a invisible fence. So put up a Dish and pass out to all your neihbors a CLUB DISH card!

Added 2 cents

When I (and the house next door) put up our OTA antennas + Dishes, we both got a letter from my HOA that we had to take then down in 5 days or they would at our expense. I sent them a copy of the FCC regs and they sent it to their lawyer. The letter was withdrawn.

P.S. I did have the equipment placed so that it was hidden as much as possible but would still let me get the best signals possible. The only reason we got the letter in the 1st place was someone down the street who tries to be important by writting to the HOA about everything including basketball hoops etc.

It's up to you about your HOA but you have every right to enjoy satellite and OTA TV.

seandudley said:
Hmm.. I wonder if I'm pissing off the home owners association in my neighborhood? I have a half a million dollar lawsuit against one of the head association members and developer of the neighborhood. (Long story, but he totally deserves the suit.)

I'm a sucker for a good 'stick it to the man' story. Is it written up anywhere? Can you expand on it? :)

The other thing you can do is get a clause put into your contract on your home. Our HOA (before the FCC rulings were readily known) had a no dish rule. I asked for my building contract to have 2 dishes and they put it as an amendment into the contract. The sales agent did this as they wanted the sale (and commission). It is much more fun to show the sales contract than the fcc rulings! ;)

Our HOA is overboard on ALL their "regs". You cannot even change 1 flower, add a bush, or change landscaping in any way without signed written plan of changes, etc. I know it is to keep the neighborhood nice, but it does seem very Nazi. We were grandfathered in so we don't have to be a member of the HOA (thank goodness) but we must follow its rules.

MY house - I'll put up a dish if I want to! That's garbage & I wouldn't wait until the timing is"right" either. It's better to get things like that dealt with BEFORE getting involved w/ a setup you don't like. After all, it sounds like a hefty investment and you deserve to be able to enjoy it. If you want a satellite dish - put it up!

Scooters said:
We've taken the approach that a dish(s) are OK, we just ask the homeowner to put them in the least visible place on the home that will get the signal.
In fact, such restrictions are not only reasonable but actually explicitly mentioned in the FCC OTARD Fact Sheet:
"However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed where they are not visible from the street would be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay. For example, if installing an antenna in the rear of the house costs significantly more than installation on the side of the house, then such a requirement would be prohibited. If, however, installation in the rear of the house does not impose unreasonable expense or delay or preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal, then the restriction is permissible and the viewer must comply."

Requiring placement inconspicuously is permitted if the signal can be obtained and it doesn't cost extra. Lazy installers not wanting to run extra cable isn't a valid excuse.

Big Bob said:
That is a nice thing when your neighbor wants to do things that will seriously effect your property value (Read, cost you a bunch of money) like storing old applicancies in the front yard, letting their yard grow tall enough to bail, fill the street with broken-down motorhome and boats.....
That's what your neighborhood code enforcement, or similiarly named governmental agency is for. HOA shouldn't be there for reminding people to mow or to keep yards appliance free.

bcshields said:
I walk in and tell the customer what had happened, and I tell him to do a Google search for "satellite home viewers protection act" and read up on it.. and if he wants to continue the install.

Five minutes later he asks if I can pole mount the dish in the front yard for him, for the whole neighborhood to see.

Gladly, I pole mounted it front and center, about 5 feet from the street, trenched and tidy. He said "damn the bylaws, I'll sue their ass off." Gave me a $40 tip too.
It's one thing to know what you are allowed to do. It's another thing when an installer (or home owner in this case) becomes a dick and does something like this. It helps no one, looks tacky, and serve no purpose other then to stir up conflict.

cdru said:
...It's one thing to know what you are allowed to do. It's another thing when an installer (or home owner in this case) becomes a dick and does something like this. It helps no one, looks tacky, and serve no purpose other then to stir up conflict.

I'll be more than happy to supply the spoon!!!! ;) ;) ;)

I loved reading most of these stories about being able to stick it to the man.. but sadly... you folks really lucked out.... There have been several cases (wish I still had the links) here locally where I used to live, that after a homeowner stood his ground against the HOA, they physcially LOST their house about a year later.

I would never live in an HOA area again. Watching some poor guy, save his entire life to by his dream house. Erect an antenna, the HOA becomes an ass. He shows and formally submits the government ruling. They "quietly" withdraw their "threat letter" only to get a letter on their door 4 months later stating their in violation of blah blah blah (nothing to do with the dish) and now faced with court procedings, and evicted from their house. The house now belongs to the HOA, and bam, instant 1.2million dollar club house in a prime location....

Yes, it can happen.. HOA's have WAY too much power. Its happend twice before here in florida. Be careful is all I can say... Start going to the HOA meetings ASAP. Submit objections to the no sat. rule and of course, give the supporting documents of the government ruling. They will then have NO CHOICE but to withdraw it from their by-laws.

Now, just sit back and wait a few more months (I almost guarantee no less than 2 months) and watch the dishes start popping up on the sides of houses... Now you can welcome yourself back to the satellite community!

Enjoy,

Khandurian.....

Scott Greczkowski said:
They can not prohibit you from having a Dish, that is against federal law. :)

I dont have the links in front of me but do a search and enjoy your dish at your new house. :D

This is correct. By Law, you can have a dish on your house. You can call DISH or go to their website and ask for a "Rights to Dish" pamphlet.

Iceberg said:
so you're saying your HOA would have a coronary if they saw this on my roof? :)

(yes this is my setup...well sort of)
the dish at the far left is now a 24" motorized :)
Icebeg

Iceberg said:
so you're saying your HOA would have a coronary if they saw this on my roof? :)

(yes this is my setup...well sort of)
the dish at the far left is now a 24" motorized :)
Icebeg
I am just curious of a few things after seeing your dish set up on your roof.
What in the world do you need that many dishes to get. I have one dish and as far as I know I can get all dish offers aside from maybe some new Voom stuff.
What are you spending a month for TV service?
How much TV can you watch? I have the top 120 but if I could buy AlaCarte I would likely only have about 30 channels and with that be able to see all the TV I have time to watch.

many dishes on roof

ice berg is like me has what is called dish on the brain, a disease which causes an individual to put up many satellite dishes on their premesis. We want more and more tv all the time, here is my dish farm

Attachments

• P1010061.JPG
    P1010061.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 171
  • P1010062.JPG
    P1010062.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 114
dodge said:
ice berg is like me has what is called dish on the brain, a disease which causes an individual to put up many satellite dishes on their premesis. We want more and more tv all the time, here is my dish farm
Cool set-up! I'm going to see if I can top the both of you.

dodge said:
Hey Dodge
i am not mocking you or berg in any way, hey everyone has there hobbies. I am just trying to get it. I am just tring to understand what you could posibly need this for. I watch a lot of TV but this seems like overkill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)