A weird idea

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Being an engineer, I love to tinker around with KU-Band and OTA antennas. I would love to buy a 10 or 12 foot C-Band antenna, however my wife feels that it would ruin the look of our backyard. Living in Florida, most homes have a giant screened in pool cage in their backyard like I do. The other day I noticed that the top panel facing South is slanted just like a satellite dish. I than began to wonder what would happen if I installed a C-Band feedhorn on top of the pool cage and used it as an antenna. What would be the gain if any? Would it work? The guys at work laughed and think I am crazy. :D

Several years ago before I bought a 10' satellite dish while living in Pennsylvania, I saw an article in Popular Mechanics on how to build your own satellite dish. They used a very large flat framed structue with chicken wire attached to the front and claimed it worked. Am I crazy or would it be worth trying? :eek:

Dave Rinker
Popcorn 'N More

A home made dish is possible, but its easy just to grab a used dish 10'-12' you will have a blast setting it up, if you like electronics and satellite.

I would imagine that the pool enclosure screen is made of a NON-Metalic compound like Nylon so it would NOT reflect the signal into the feedhorn even if you could find a sweet spot to mount it. :cool:

BryanSR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)