AAARRRRGGGHHH! - - - Where is the bugger!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

highhatsize

Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Dear Directv Satellite System Maestros,

This is the continuation to a question about digitization of the picture which I asked a month or so ago.

To sum things up. The tv picture becomes digitized intermittently on the higher numbered channels. I have especially noticed it on USA and SciFi which are around 250.

I have run all the tests that I can from the Directv/Tivo and tightened all the couplings that I can find, all to no avail.

Previously, I thought that switching my power supply from a weakening UPS to Surge Protection Only might have solved the problem, but it seems only to have worked once.

Since last posting, I have learned that all three of the Directv/Tivos on my system are digitizing, not just the one in my bedroom as I had previously thought.

I cannot reach the satellite dish on the roof because it is too dangerous.

The last thing that I can think of before I call in the $atellite Profe$$ional to check out the system is that my multiswitch may be malfunctioning. All I know about checking a multiswitch is that if the transformer is cold, it is dead. Subtleties beyond that escape me. Is there a way to check its functioning? I have a multimeter.

Would it be a good idea to go ahead and buy a new multiswitch? I have a 5X8 Eagle Aspen now and am going to need to get a bigger one for future needs eventually. That would, at least, rule out the multiswitch as the culprit. What is the best multiswitch brand to buy for a single family residence?

I live in San Francisco and the system worked fine until about five months ago when this digitization problem began appearing with increasing frequency.

My reason for suspecting the multiswitch is that the digitization does seem to occur when there is fog or smoke in the air. That leads me to beleieve that the multiswitch isn't amplifying the weakened signal sufficiently under those conditions to deliver a clear picture.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Please do not feel awkward about being patronizing. I am really very ignorant.

Cordially,
highhatsize

Is this HD?
Post your signal readings on each receiver.
Have you tried to by pass the switch?

Smoke / fog and pixeling means your weak signal is getting even weaker due to a misaligned dish or poor mount location. A switch or an amp can only do so much with an aleady weak signal and if something comes along that weakens it even further (snow, rain, fog, smoke, heavy cloud cover, solar conjunction, a fat bird ) then the signal can be so weak that it becomes a problem such as in your instance or even further to where it cuts out all together.

Call in the professional to have a look at at.

Check your signal strength. If the strength is high (in the 90s) then it could be an amplification problem. Tell us what kind of dish and what kind of service you have then we can narrow things down a bit. Also, how old is the system and are the fittings compression type or crimp.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I have a commercial oval three lnb dish installed by a reliable and expensive private contractor rather than by Directv. After I had an initial circular dual lnb set-up installed by Directv, I had Crawford Satellite come out and upgrade it twice, each time installing a larger, powered, multiswitch; the second time replacing the Directv dish with a commercial oval one. All the fittings are compression fittings and the external ones are taped as well. The signal strength from the three satellites are all in the nineties with only one, I think, dipping to 88. My Directv/Tivos are all standard, [i.e. non-HD], and I have no plans on changing that status. I am pleased with the work but want to avoid yet another visit.

As a matter of fact, the only part of the installation that I think may be dicey is the multiswitch. In the course of my research, I discovered that there are, apparently, two grades of multi-switch, and the one that I have is one of the inferior varieties. The good ones appear to be "Spaun", and cost ten times what the one I have does. To be frank, I have no idea what the extra cash buys you. Maybe the assurance that you won't have to replace it every few years. One of the reasons that I decided to upgrade a few years ago was that my picture was degrading. It "may have been" the Channel Master multiswitch that I originally had. The installers seemed undisturbed by the notion that this simple looking hunk of metal could fail in less than two years.

Before I call in the pros, I think that I will purchase a powered Spaun 5x16 multiswitch and see if that fixes my problem.

Cordially,
highhatsize

Dont waste your money on a spaun unless your living in a sears store size home and have a dozen or more receivers and tv's. The spaun is a commercial grade switch that unless you do live in a mansion wouldnt be practical for a residential installation. The standard multi switch is fine for a typical residential installation and they do last for years as long as the electrical cyurrent they receive is clean and stable but if its dirty and spikes then you can expect them to fail early.

If I were you I would do some window shopping of other service companies in your area because the taping of connection points does no good at all at preventing moisture from getting into the connection points. Another thing that concerns me is that an installation company would have recommended you have a commercial grade dish installed in an area where its not needed.

If all receivers are affected then you have two potential area's that could be at fault, the first is the dish and the second is the switch so thats where you need to have someone look at. As for the Eagle Aspen it is a fine switch and like I said above theres no need to get a Spaun switch unless your living in a mansion size home or larger.

Sounds like your dish is out of alignment.

You can bypass the multi-switch with barrel connectors (double female F) and see what that does for you if you want.

If you must replace the Multiswitch to make yourself happy you would be much better off investing in a WB616 you will need it for MPEG4 signals.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. In particular, thanks to, "Van" for advising against buying more hardware than I need.

I keep coming upon threads where a question is asked, comments are made, and then the original poster disappears without telling what the outcome of his research was. So, lest that be the case here, this is what I am doing.

I have decided to replace my Aspen 5x8 with the Zinwell WB616 6x16 from Solid Signal. I will need to upgrade in the future when I switch to HD so the money will be well-spent even if the multiswitch is not the cause of my present problem.

Although I cannot reach it to test it, I don't think that the dish is the problem since the signal strength on the transponders is uniformly high.

Here in San Francisco, one can go with Directv's own installers or with private contractors. I am satisfied that Crawford Satellite is expert in their field. I would guess that they gave me a commercial grade triple lnb dish because I was paying for it anyway whereas it would have been free had Directv installed it and I agreed to some special package deal. He did explain that the larger surface area of the dish was a plus for people living on the coasts since the satellites were in geosyncronous orbit more or less above Kansas. Living at the limits of the satellites range, the larger surface area was supposed to prevent digitization during rain storms. Obviously, of late, this has not proven true. As for taping the connections, I am surprised that this is NOT a preventative for water inflitration. The installer did tell me on the first go-round that the Directv installation already had moisture collecting at the connection points but that his connections were all compression-sealed and taped.

I will be back when the new multiswitch is installed to tell you if the old one was the cause.

If it is not, then I will have to have the pros come out because everything left to correct is inaccessible to me.

Cordially,
highhatsize

Directv's Own Installers

Dear charper1 & verbano,

I know that Directv contracts out installations. Moreover, you are right, I refer to installers with "Directv" on the their pocket as "Directv installers" even though the Directv Corporation has no relationship to them other than that with the company whose name is on their paycheck via licensing agreements.

My post was meant to reflect the fact that those installers who do have a Directv on their pocket are likely to be inept because of the lack of qualifying standards. The choice is to pay installers who have gained a good reputation but who charge what they are worth.

Parenthetically, is Rupert Murdoch still involved with Directv? I remember several years ago that the idea of "branding" every part or service involved with Directv with the Directv logo was attributed to him. It was put forth as one of the reasons for Directv's break with TiVo. That, and the fact that TiVo was going to make DVRs for cable tv services, too.

Cordially,
highhatsize

Theres only one kind of tape out there that can seal over gaps properly and its not duct tape or the current standard for electrical. Anyone that has been involved in automotive or residential/commercial electrical for 30 + years will know what cloth tape or tar tape is but even then that would not be adviseable for outdoor use just as it wouldnt be adviseable to wrap pitch pads around connection points outside or in part of the system.

Coax fittings or what is more commonly reffered to as the F connector should be a compression fitting that is uniformly squeezed onto the coax outer casing and has o ring seals in its construction to prevent water from entering around the sleeve of the skirt, some will come with o rings in the cuff sleeve and inside the cuff.

There is debate about how effective it is to add connection sleeves as some will say that it keeps moisture in the connection point, the fact is that if you use proper f connections and the tools to put them on and know how to put them on right with the tools and properly tighten them down at each connection point you wont have any moisture in the connection points and the sleeves though not needed will add a measure of security. Every service call I had for water damage to the connections was due to either hex crimp f connectors being used or the installer didnt tighten the connection down, I've also replaced many a water damaged connection that had been taped with electrical tape.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)