AAD alaternative to CBS O&O takedown?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
If Les Moonves refuses to renew retransmission agreements with Dish for the Owned & Operated CBS stations across the country because of the Hopper/Autohop, will that make us in those DMA's immediately qualify for distant nets with All American Direct? This is the only scenario I can think of that could allow Charlie to go this far with the broadcast nets. He certainly had to know that the broadcasters would be "hopping" mad, and he always seems to do things with a back-up plan. If he has AAD as the back-up plan, I sure hope he credits subscribers the same amount it would cost to get necessary distant nets.

NO, your DMA would still have CBS so you would not be allowed to subscribe to distants.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad 4 using Forum Runner

NO, your DMA would still have CBS so you would not be allowed to subscribe to distants.

OK, I'll make it more clear: this question and scenario is for those of us in O&O DMA's. It is the broadcast network CEO's who have all stated the don't like AutoHop, are suing, and Les Mooves in particular has said CBS (meaning his O&O's) won't be on Dish so long as the Autohop feature is offered by Dish. In other words, in our DMA, the broadcast nets are all O&O, so if one or more of them decide to not allow Dish to retransmit via sat in our DMA (we would lose KCBS), would that then qualify us in that very same DMA for lost distant nets from AAD? Anyone can respond to this.

Last edited:
OK, I'll make it more clear: this question and scenario is for those of us in O&O DMA's. It is the broadcast network CEO's who have all stated the don't like AutoHop, are suing, and Les Mooves in particular has said CBS (meaning his O&O's) won't be on Dish so long as the Autohop feature is offered by Dish. In other words, in our DMA, the broadcast nets are all O&O, so if one or more of them decide to not allow Dish to retransmit via sat in our DMA (we would lose KCBS), would that then qualify us in that very same DMA for lost distant nets from AAD? Anyone can respond to this.

It doesn't matter whether or not your programming provider carries the net, it is still available OTA. You would not be able to get from AAD unless you have a RV.

I'll hope this is understood. AAD business is separate, completely, from Dish. To get AAD, you must contact them by their website or phone, give your address, and your receiver(s) ID's. They then turn on their channels over the Dish satellites.

This is why dish sells the OTA USB tuner for just $30. Plug it in and you can still watch CBS. Auto hope won't work on OTA though. I would order one now.

This is why dish sells the OTA USB tuner for just $30. Plug it in and you can still watch CBS. Auto hop won't work on OTA though. I would order one now.

This is why dish sells the OTA USB tuner for just $30. Plug it in and you can still watch CBS. Auto hop won't work on OTA though. I would order one now.

The OTA USB tuner is not going to give you OTA channels all by itself, it needs an antenna that can receive the OTA signals as well. Just pointing that out because many subscribers don't have antennas or are unable to receive a signal. I believe that I have heard that Auto-Hop works on OTA. I have set a timer for this evening on an OTA channel to see if that proves out. I'll report tomorrow morning as to the result.

OTA can be challenge now partly because of going to digital. But of course if you can get them, that's the way to go should you lose a sat local.

You can also apply for waivers through AAD.When they had AAD in hd I decided to check it out.Charlotte is our local dma,I ran the qualification test onsite,was very surprised to see that we qualified for all the distant networks.Their rules aren't nearly as stringent as Dish's.

Funny thing I had Thursday auto hop disabled and I recorded a program OAT and auto hop worked.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Did you have PTAT activated? It has been reported that if you do, the ota recording grabs the PTAT recording, thus enabling Autohop.

I guess I'll find out tonight, I have PTAT disabled on Sunday and have scheduled 60 Minutes and Amazing Race to record on CBS OTA....

Did you have PTAT activated? It has been reported that if you do, the ota recording grabs the PTAT recording, thus enabling Autohop.

I guess I'll find out tonight, I have PTAT disabled on Sunday and have scheduled 60 Minutes and Amazing Race to record on CBS OTA....

OK, I checked this morning. I had PTAT disabled for Sunday. 60 Minutes and Amazing Race both recorded off of my OTA antenna, KPIX, Channel 5.1. Both had Autohop that worked. I checked to make sure that 5.1 was the channel that actually recorded and that was true. In fact, I had a dropout during 60 minutes and lost a short piece of the recording. So, Autohop works on OTA recording, irregardless of PTAT...

Yeah, I have USB OTA, but it is only ONE tuner with the Hopper. Yes, I know AAD is a separate company etc. My question is a legal one. As of today I do not qualify for distant nets because we have LIL with Dish. The AAD website has forms for both distant nets to home and distant nets to RV. My question is this: if we lose our local broadcast net via LIL from Dish due to no retransmission agreement, would we then legally qualify for distant nets from AAD? Either someone has had this experience or they know the law. We are trying to plan in case Les Mooves and others won't bargain. Any responses to the legal issues is welcome.

Without waivers being granted,no you wouldn't qualify.

OK. Thank you . So, basically, even if we are unable to get LIL via Dish, we aren't likely to get waivers from the local broadcasters. I would imagine if people are in an area where they can't get broadcast locals OTA because of obstructions (which is the case in many more places in the L.A. DMA than you would think), they might have a better chance at a waiver. So, we aren't getting AAD distant nets (excluding "RV") unless the local broadcasters grant the waiver. We had gotten waivers BEFORE AAD from a few local nets because we are close to an area that can't get any OTA RF. But, then they didn't renew, but another local net granted the waiver, then we were denied all waivers after Must Carry rule. Kind of funny.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
They are not going to give waivers when they are in a dispute, that you can be sure of. Re-read my post (#6) earlier in the thread about getting AAD....

I get the point (and remember the law, myself, now) that only those who cannot receive local broadcast OTA would have a shot at a waiver. However, the broadcaster holds all the cards and deny anybody, even if in an area where they can't get OTA, forcing the applicant to prove its case at his expense. Thanks to all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts