AAD - Is Out of Business

OK, I'm brand new here and am probably in the wrong spot but maybe you can re-direct me & help me learn. We are 18 year fulltime RV'ers who travel all over the US.
Had DISH E & W coast feeds for years. Lost them--bad DISH so had to pay All American Direct to get them. Now they have gone under {BadAAD}so I had to decide whether to get the Hopper & Joey and live with locals and the spot beam problems or make the move to DIRECT TV. Did not want to go the DIRECT route so we got the Hopper & Joey. Overall am happy but keeping the locals going is certainly going to become a part of our lives as we go.
Have been spot beamed twice and called DISH to change "Physical Address". The problem is how long it takes to get them in plus phone calls to DISH each time BUT I am learning short cuts to cut that time down.
What I am looking for here is a Map of the area I am traveling in so I can see for the most part how far I can go before I get spot beamed again. I tried to put the DISH URL here which does show a map but you can't zoom in to see where I am and how far I can go. My post got denied because I put a link to that URL.Any help or suggestions? Thank you Di

The whole distant networks problem might be solved by Dish's internet service rumored to be coming out this summer. They will have to solve the major networks problem for a very portable subscriber to make this service viable. The service , at minimum, must allow one to see their local networks anywhere in the world. However, to get local news in the area you are traveling in you should be able to option to receive the local networks of that area. it will be interesting to see how they solve this problem. I would hate to be on a business trip and be required to watch east coast feed, my home networks, while on business on the west coast. At the same time I would probably want to see my east coast pro team even if on the west coast and then see the west coast team , also. How they solve this problem will determine if their internet service has any chance of success.

The whole distant networks problem might be solved by Dish's internet service rumored to be coming out this summer
I guess people who don't RV don't understand that RVs don't get to use Cable, DSL, or Fiber connections. No Internet solution is good for RVs because of the cost of bandwidth.

I guess people who don't RV don't understand that RVs don't get to use Cable, DSL, or Fiber connections. No Internet solution is good for RVs because of the cost of bandwidth.
Right on. I am one of almost 1 million Winter Texans that spend several months or more, each winter in South Texas along the border. The cell towers become so over loaded that there are times during the day that you can't even connect. We just got back from an RV Rally where we only had 2G service. No OTA, no cable tv, just DISH and DirecTV.

Tailgater is an option that is offered by dish and you purchase the tailgater and a receiver so no contract required which makes it an use as you need it service.

That doesn't address the AAD/DNS issue however. If he was getting AAD before, I have to guess he has a set-up that gets DISH now. Whatever the equipment an RV'r is going to have to get whatever locals are in the spotbeam where they are, or OTA.

I think what he is looking for is network service while traveling, say, 300 miles a day without having to phone or "chat" each night just to get set for the local spotbeam. Some DMA's don't have HD. I can live without that for a few days. I paid extra for AAD just to have networks each night without having to change my location. Once I get somewhere, I hope for OTA locals in HD and if not, then i can contact DISH and change my location.

You are confusing what customers (posters here) are saying. While you are to the extreme, many of us would like to have Distants again. But unlike you we recognize the mountain moving it would take to get Congress to change it, and I mean waaaaaaay more than an online petition signed by a handful of people. And you are ignoring nothing was ever a law nor could I ever imagine it ever would be that DISH or Direct would be forced to provide them even if they could now. As I posted DISH has other programming to put in HD and other programming period that smothers the importance of Distants and any spectrum they might take, and the time needed to qualify people, submit waivers, etc etc - especially when even at the most liberal policy that existed, you had to be located where you can not get a signal from an outdoor antenna limiting how many would legally qualify.

I admire you won't just take no for an answer, and you want to get Distants back. For probably most of us the effort that would be involved for something like that just isn't worth the time it would take out of life, given the slim chance the Networks are going change it or Congress will.
In addition some of your posts have wrong information that make it seem much easier than it really is to get Distants.

Congress also has to be careful, if they remove restrictions on out of market viewership the law would probably be overturned as unconstitutional. Remember programming is copyrighted and is a property. Congress cannot simply pass a law giving it away without compensating the copyright owners.

The big issue here is DIRECTV and DISH can no longer sell distant networks.

There was a third company (All American Direct) which did sell Distant Networks, however their customer base was so small they couldn't afford to stay in business, so they went out of business.

They tried they really did.

If there was a profit to be made by Distant Networks you can bet both companies would be working like crazy to get permission. But since both companies cover over 95% of the locals across the USA they can't offer distant networks.

He and the OP are talking about household.... the rules we are talking about don't apply for RV's, totally different qualifying process so really is a different area of discussion. But yes, DISH does not do RV's DNS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)