ABC Broadcast Snafu

powdercarrot

Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
MT
In the past three years I've had three occasions where my local ABC affiliate did not broadcast the game that the coverage map said they should. Because of that, ESPN, which was to broadcast the other game, showed the same game. There was no way to watch the game that I wanted to because Dish thought it was being shown on my local ABC channel. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any ideas to fix it?

Very doubtful there was a mistake made. When a non local game is shown, it is less clear what would bring the most interest sometimes till the day of the game. I have seen changes made in the past on game day. BTW there is no actual coverage map for secondary games only the local team's territory. Those are regional maps with what is suggested for that region. Local interest sometimes will change the game.

However your point is well taken - somehow it has to be fixed so that you can see at least one of the channels.

National

The national center did the change not the local broadcaster. An affiliate is tied to the tp that they are assigned. Only rarely are they allowed to change that. In fact if ABC is like NBC & CBS the system is switched for them from national center.

You might also check out the ESPNA channels (the alternate channels in the 140 range) when this happens. Sometimes they'll show the other game on there, of course it won't be in HD but still better than nothing.

In the past three years I've had three occasions where my local ABC affiliate did not broadcast the game that the coverage map said they should. Because of that, ESPN, which was to broadcast the other game, showed the same game. There was no way to watch the game that I wanted to because Dish thought it was being shown on my local ABC channel. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any ideas to fix it?
When selecting "info" and the description screen comes up, there is always a notice that the game is "subject to programmers schedule change"..
I assume you are refering ot NCAA football.
Yes this does occur. The local affiliate decides whether or not they want the game scheduled to be shown or a game that will bring better ratings that is available in your region. Or, in some cases no game at all. Seen this happen as well Where a game of mild local interest will not be televised because of another far more popular game on another channel will render the ratings so low as to actually cost the station money to put it on. So the channel elects to show infomercials in it's place. This is guranteed revenue( for infomericals) in lieu of very low or no revenue from the few viewers of that low popularity game.
For diehard fans it sucks. It is the way it is..

can happen

When selecting "info" and the description screen comes up, there is always a notice that the game is "subject to programmers schedule change"..
I assume you are refering ot NCAA football.
Yes this does occur. The local affiliate decides whether or not they want the game scheduled to be shown or a game that will bring better ratings that is available in your region. Or, in some cases no game at all. Seen this happen as well Where a game of mild local interest will not be televised because of another far more popular game on another channel will render the ratings so low as to actually cost the station money to put it on. So the channel elects to show infomercials in it's place. This is guranteed revenue( for infomericals) in lieu of very low or no revenue from the few viewers of that low popularity game.
For diehard fans it sucks. It is the way it is..

That's rare but it can happen. No one in the area buys any spots from sales during the game is a BIG indicator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)