ABC FOR TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA???

mikemorin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2006
Southern Indiana
AS A DISH NETWORK RETAILER STORE OWNER, I'M CURIOUS IF ANY "NEW" NEWS IS AVAILIBLE ABOUT THE MISSING ABC CHANNEL FOR OUR LOCAL MARKET TERRE HAUTE, IN?? I WAS HOPING BY NOV 1 WE WOULD HAVE EITHER A SPRINGFIELD, IL OR INDIANAPOLIS,IN ABC CHANNEL....ANYONE HEARD?

THANKS
MIKE
MIDWESTSATELLLITESYSTEMS,INC.

nothing new and please turn off the caps lock....makes it look like you're shouting

with the Fox/Dish thing going on the "added distants to short markets" has been put on the backburner

Is this where "significantly viewed" would come into play, i.e. Dish could give Terre Haute customers the ABC station from a nearby city ?

Terre Haute has no ABC so yes SV would be invoked.....However....This is one of those areas where the Indy station is not SV in the whole market so dish needs some extra OK from the FCC since it would be considered a "distant"
The markets added in 2010 this rule really didnt apply but markets on Dish before that depending on location and station they need approval from the FCC which they were working on

Sorry, I meant that more of a general question. I really don't know what "SV" really got into. In my market, we get all the big 4 from Dish so it's not an issue. As you explained though, it ain't going to be a simple thing. In this case though, I'm sure WRTV would gladly allow their station, would they not ? Why would any station not want to be available in more markets ?

The OP's market there is no ABC. On cable they can get ABC from one of a couple areas depending on where in the market they live. With satellite they can only add one local to the whole market as long as its considered SV in the whole market. Since it isnt (Evansville ABC has parts of the market) and its owned by a different person than the Indy ABC it would be considered a distant....and we know Dish as of right now cannot give anybody distants.

Now I'll give you another scenerio where SV works. Most of Minnesota is the Minneapolis DMA (there are parts near the edges of the state that are other markets). There is a 4 county spot that has its own DMA (Mankato, MN). Mankato for 50 years has been served by CBS and added Fox subchannel 3 years ago. Surrounding it is the Mpls DMA. Since both Minneapolis ABC & NBC are considered SV there (until digital you could get both with an antenna) they were able to be added to Mankato locals. Now to throw something different, there is also a ABC from Austin, MN that was considered SV too.....but since both are owned by the same people Dish gave them Minneapolis (the spotbeam for Mpls reaches Mankato...the other market doesnt)

so if a market is short and a neighboring local is considered SV for the whole market (or no other of that affiliate is) then its considered SV
If there is another of the network in that market (2 or more of same are considered SV) then its considered a distant

and there lies the issue.

When I check counties for SV stations I get Louisville, Evansville, and Indy but no Springfield...so its considered a distant

Must be spotbeam issues. Dish likes to just remap the station and not uplink it 2-3 times so that might be why they are using that as the ABC

Temps rising on 622 after SW update.

A dispute between Dish and WCNC-NBC in Charlotte?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)