ABC HD in Medford Oregon??!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Well In medford Oregon KDRV channel 12 just lit up a sub channel 12.1 and 12.2!!!! 12.1 Is in DD but not in HD. They hope to be in HD by the SUPERBOWL!!!! Its 8:14 right now Harry Potter is on but not in HD YET..:D:D

If they just came on the air, it may be several months before they try HDTV, it's MUCH more complicated.

Jim5506 said:
If they just came on the air, it may be several months before they try HDTV, it's MUCH more complicated.

The super Bowl was in HD and looked great!! Abc here has been digital since 2003.

Thanks BH for turning me on to this great site!

The SB was WONDERFUL in HD! THANKS!

Now, BB, here's what I have:

antennas.jpg

The array in the back is a fixed array (for the wife) with antennas pointed toward King, Baldy and Ashland, and the antenna on the rotator is a Winegard dupe of a CM 4228.

It's aluminum and 1/2 the weight with a little less gain but it sucks above ch 50, but we don't care here.

You don't need too much depending on where you live, let us know and perhaps we can help.

-dave-
Medford, Oregon

OldAnalogGuy said:

antennas.jpg

The array in the back is a fixed array (for the wife) with antennas pointed toward King, Baldy and Ashland, and the antenna on the rotator is a Winegard dupe of a CM 4228.

It's aluminum and 1/2 the weight with a little less gain but it sucks above ch 50, but we don't care here.

You don't need too much depending on where you live, let us know and perhaps we can help.

-dave-
Medford, Oregon

No problem i love this site!! Glad to have some more HD and Medford people around!:up

BunkerBuster said:
I have just registered with this site. I live in the Medford area as well and am looking at installing an antenna etc. Any words of wisdom, BlackHitachi?
In the bedrooms i have silver sensor's. In the living room i have a Antenna i got when Voom was around. Its a Wingard Amplified Ant. I am going to upgrade to a out side ant even though in my neighbor hood there are not any up. Also keep an eye on 26.1 Kmvu fox they should be HD really SOON!:D Also write KOBI 5.1 NBC and tell them to join the HD fun!:up Glad to see you guys here!!

Last edited:
OldAnalogGuy said:

antennas.jpg

-dave-
Medford, Oregon

Dave do you live in East Medford?

...."Also keep an eye on 26.1 Kmvu fox they should be HD really SOON!:D Also write KOBI 5.1 NBC".

Thanks again for the heads-up, BH! When the last two go HD, I can turn in this 811 and get a 211 (is that right?).....Something that will lock on 10-1 as I understand the 211 doesn't do analog.....and the wife will be....disappointed without her locals....sigh....

Ahhhh...all the locals in Hd....just what I've spent all this money for....

archie2.jpg

-dave-

OldAnalogGuy said:
...."Also keep an eye on 26.1 Kmvu fox they should be HD really SOON!:D Also write KOBI 5.1 NBC".

Thanks again for the heads-up, BH! When the last two go HD, I can turn in this 811 and get a 211 (is that right?).....Something that will lock on 10-1 as I understand the 211 doesn't do analog.....and the wife will be....disappointed without her locals....sigh....

Ahhhh...all the locals in Hd....just what I've spent all this money for....

archie2.jpg

-dave-

Well Dave all of our locals are in digital already. Its just Kmvu (FOX) and Kobi (NBC) are not in HD as of yet. So you could get any Dish net mpeg 2 or 4 receiver you wanted to now. Also call dish network and tell them what your 811 in doing. I called them again tonight and told them also told them since we are paying for program info i wanted SOPTV (PBS) info for 8.1! I will tell you this talk to Tech support. Also the tech guy who was really nice said it is happening on the 411's and 211's. (For now that is) He is sending what he called an actuator?(Sp). Satelliteland in Eagle point have the 411's!!

It is good to hear from the local guys!
I need to update my avatar, etc when I get a chance...

I live in Talent, right off of I-, and I just got fed up with Mount Baldy Staring at me 2 miles away and assumed I could only get PBS from there. Then I got word that Fox was up there also! So rather than waiting to hook up a external entenna sometime in the next few weeks, I went to Radioshack last night and picked a $25indoor one.

Results: I get Fox at 80% reception, PBS at 92%, and ABC at 74%! Without having to get up to rotate the "array". I have the orientation optimized for ABC.
So I am thrilled and hooked on getting outside and going enitely external (keeping the indoor one for another TV or something). The image is sharper than what Dish has to offer!

So let me get the rest straight....CBS is on Mt Ashland? Where is NBC?

Dave, that is one awesome setup! I finally have complete buy-in from my wife.

Thanks guys!

-Don

BunkerBuster said:

I live in Talent, right off of I-, and I just got fed up with Mount Baldy Staring at me 2 miles away and assumed I could only get PBS from there. Then I got word that Fox was up there also! So rather than waiting to hook up a external entenna sometime in the next few weeks, I went to Radioshack last night and picked a $25indoor one.

Results: I get Fox at 80% reception, PBS at 92%, and ABC at 74%! Without having to get up to rotate the "array". I have the orientation optimized for ABC.
So I am thrilled and hooked on getting outside and going enitely external (keeping the indoor one for another TV or something). The image is sharper than what Dish has to offer!

Thanks guys!

-Don

Correct KTVL(CBS) is on Mt ashland. Kobi (NBC) is on KING mt.

BunkerBuster said:

Thanks guys!

-Don

What is your setup you should be getting CBS also. Kobi is a weak channels and will require a big ant.

Setup...

I have a Radioshack 15-1878 going into my older Dish Network HD box. I get some signal from CBS, but not enough to get a lock-on (~40% with fluctuations). But now that I know it is up on Mt. Ashland, I'll have to get it a try tonight when I get home.
I think the only reason I get ABC is because the antenna is aimed behind my TV through my front window and down the street with no house in the way. Mt Ashland is a different story-across my wall and the neighbors house.

-Don

Hi, Guys.....are we the only three in Medford watching OTA HD? No wonder the stations don't want to spend the $....

....Yes, BH, I'm in E. Medford, off N. Keene Way near the Eastwood Baptist Church. Not exactly a wonderful spot, but not too bad compared to some.....

Don, good luck with CBS...shouldn't be too much of a problem as you're almost knocking on their door....a bed-spring positioned E-W should do the trick...

BH is right about KOBI on King.....low power and somewhat shaded.....Hence the 11dB gain panel you see in my picture. An 8dB yagi wouldn't get it, nor would a 9dB log periodic. Really have an adversion for amps since the old analog days when all you'd get is really strong snow....

Being in the commercial antenna business (BIG Transmit broadcast antennas + cellular), I need metal in the air......If the antenna can't rip it, it doesn't deserved to be received.... LOL

Don, you are SOOOOO lucky to have your wife buy-in to an outside antenna!

If you saw what I had up a few years ago during the last sunspot peak, your wife would.....falter in her judgement.

My wife was away for the weekend and a few buddies threw it up in a day and a half. When she came home, she wouldn't talk to me for weeks....maybe it was months. It was a giant cubical quad.

quad.jpg

She would have to lay by the pool and stare up at this thing and just get p***ed...

Sunspot cycle lull....antenna, tower and equipment always gets donated to the Red Cross.....

....She's talking to me again.....(sigh)....

Well, it didn't bother the dog....she always gave me a kiss when I cam home....LOL

Best luck and please let us know your progress.

-dave-

Yea we are 3 of 4 that i know about! I always meet people who have a HDTV set and think thats it they are ready for HD. I try to tell as many as possible. That they need a HD box or a ant depending on what they have. I also tell all of them to write the local station all the time and ask question. I have gotten to know the station quiet well. I asked about your location because it looked familiar to me. I also live in East medford. Across the street from Costco up the hill.

OK, BH! Know where you are....my allergist (Kerwin) is right up the road from you a mite in that fancy building....(his fees are high, too!) and my son lives a little farther up on Corker Butte! Small Valley, yes?

Amazed you know only four with OTA HD. Even if we expand and guess at 400, that's not many for a 144,000 potential audience.

Well it's so nice to know there are fellow HD'ers here and you BH seem really up on the OTA skinny in the valley.

Very comforting, my friend....

Enjoy your evening!

-dave-

Update...

Well, I tried to get CBS....no success. The best I could get was barely 50%. I'll have to be ok with what I can get for now....until I get out the ladder. I'll have to post a pic when I am complete. I am still anxious about Fox. That still comes in better than 85%.

Dave, that antenna looked awesome! I am sure she is missed.

Oh, from the for what it is worth department, one of the sales/installation guys at Larsons mentioned that NBC-HD was going to Mt. Baldy. I have not confirmed it. Perhaps it makes sense.....less snow and easer to get to for repairs, etc?

Antenna.JPG

Baby.JPG

BunkerBuster said:
Oh, from the for what it is worth department, one of the sales/installation guys at Larsons mentioned that NBC-HD was going to Mt. Baldy. I have not confirmed it. Perhaps it makes sense.....less snow and easer to get to for repairs, etc?

View attachment 7199

View attachment 7200
Wow this would be cool. The guys at Larson's would know. I don't have a good relationship with NBC. Any way this would be really GREAT if that happened!! Hey also those are some nice pics!!

Old thread... I know, but any update for KMVU going HD? They keep pushing it back. I finally got my HDTV (I've been recording and watching HD on my PC until now) and the HD options are still so limited.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)