??? About a new HDTV and SD channels....

John Davis sweatt

Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
My ?? is I just bought a 42 inch Toshiba Regza TV. While the HD channels are awe striking, I'm a little underwelmed with the SD channels. Is there a way to correct this?? I have a 8300 S/Atlantic reciever from Time Warner cable. Just trying to find out if there is anyway to get them to come in better?? Also what can you clean a LCD HDTV with??

Thanks, John

It's awkward but it should give you a slight improvement:

Leave your current connection (component, DVI, HDMI, whatever) in place for the HD channels. Run a 2nd connection, probably S-Video + Red/White Audio to one of the TV's other inputs. When you want to watch SD programming, switch to the lower input.

Personally I think that SD looks worse ona n HD set. it si not so much that it does a bad job as that the larger screen size etc really shows what is wrong with most SD pictures.

It's even made worse when a set-top is involved. These are analog channels, then are converted to digital at the set-top, and then upconverted to the set-top's output resolution. The signal is modified too many times.

Now that I think about it, my suggestion may only work (properly) on an analog TV, i.e. CRT, rear-projection, etc. Those can display different resolutions. LCDs, Plasma, etc will upconvert everything to their native resolution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)