about broadband vs phone line

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
okay here I see something that is posted alot on here about the tv2 $5.00 fee

so to explain quickly
dish does not identify your Internet connection they just receive info that it is connected nothing else!

do you move your receiver in back and forth?
Not to worry aslong as you have internet on the other place you take it you may connect it
it does not matter if the connection is a different Ip,ISP or anything

now the receiver must be connected always since it will contact dish on random times(the chances of the receiver contacting dish while you move it are very low if you move it lets say 2 times a week, it could matter if you move it even more frequently, I suggest to unplug the receiver when you are going to the other place example unpluging the receiver leaving it in your car while you are at work and plug it later when you get home is a big No No move it when you are heading directly to the other place)

also using only 1 powerline ethernet since my receiver is homeplug compatible it does not require 2 powerline adapters the receiver already acts as one, all you would need is one plugged in a wall and connected to your router if it is located far away

note the receiver and ethernet powerline adapter MUST be connected DIRECTLY to the wall, multi plugs,surge protectors will interrupt the connection and you may be charged the $5.00 still

also doing this does nto require a phone line unless you order PPV events on your receiver(I think you can order PPV with internet but I am not sure)

if you have powerline phone jack extenders this will not work as they interfer with the ehternet powerline adapters

remember using broadband is better than phone line since it gives more flexibility when moving the receiver from house to house(note this only works if the receiver comes home everytime you move it and there is nobody home watching another receiver on your account)Having 2 receivers connected into two different internet connections at the same time WILL get the audit team to verify every receiver is in one place.

this only works if your receiver has an ethernet port on the rear, if it does not you will have to use the phone line instead

feel free to ask any questions and scott, make this a sticky in the tech section for those who dont know

Last edited:
I've noticed that both my 622 and 625 'phone home' every night. My 322 just calls once a month. I doubt it would be a problem if a night or two were skipped, however.

the problem is phone line is not as flexible as internet since phone line has a specific location and internet can be used with any connection in the world
and yes it calls out a few times a month still I havent bothered to look on how often and how I can see when the receiver calls out

I have a 722 and a 622. They are plugged straight into the wall, and dishcomm is functioning between the receivers. The 722 is connected to the phone line AND broadband via ethernet. The 622 is set to remote in the connections screen. Can I pull the phone line on the 722, and leave the broadband, and the 622 still can "call home"? Or does dishcomm require the phone line?

This is kinda stupid that a remote receiver can't utilize the broadband connection of the other via dishcomm at least for the "call home" function.

It is that way for phone line connections and if you want ethernet connected I would use either direct connection to the cable router or a wireless netgear plug in to your cable router. Then if the receivers are plugged into a wall plug , any vip receivers plugged into a wall plug , not a surge protector, should see the ethernet . I have mine like that. I use a direct connection on my 722k and a netgear plug in for ethernet hooked into my cable router with another netgear plug in for my bedroom Echostar Dtv pal plus dvr for ota. My 211k in my son's room sees the internet by being plugged into the wall outlet without any netgear plug or direct internet connection. So it is seeing the internet by the home electrical wiring.

Here would be a prefect setup
ViP receivers are home plug compatible
what does this mean?
just get 1 ethernet wall plug and plug it into the wall next to the router(a cable from this plug to the back of the router)
then make sure all the receivers(all the ViP ones)are connected directly to walls(no multi plugs surge protectors or anything)

then on every receiver in your home perform a connection reset(on broadband setup in the menu) and all of the receivers should be online

Does anyone know what issues would be caused if you have two receivers at home one plugged into phone and the other into a broadband connection?

I have a phone line where my 301 is located and no internet and in the den I have my 211 and I have internet here, but no phone line.

Would this cause audit issues, not that I care, but sometimes they can jbe officious idiots!!!?

I really dont know how dish would tell if the receiver is home,from what 2 csrs told me you can use different connections to avoid the fee/audit also to track an IP it will not be precise,some ISPs can be based up to 50miles away from someones actual residence.
since I move my receiver on the weekends I just connect it to the internet at the second location while I am there,on monday I bring it home with me and plug it into a different internet connection and both homes have 2 different cable internet providers and are around 40miles apart.

phone line is precise and needs to be the same line always or expect an audit if you have more than 1 receiver on your aqccount.

They don't care about ip addresses. IF you have 2 or more receivers on your account and you don't have them hooked up to the internet or a phone line , you will receive a "friendly" call from the DISH AUDIT NAZIS. IF you can not produce the information on your screen for all receivers on your account they will cut off all extra receivers but one . You will not be able to use them again.

But then it would seem to me that account stackers could have receivers in multiple houses yet connected to the internet and avoid getting audited.

Thus yet another case of where the Audit Nazis won't find the actual account stackers but will continue to harass unsuspecting customers with legitimate setups.

Let me try to say this differently. As long as all receivers are in the SAME house using the same internet connection , DISH doesn't care where it is located. You could take all your receivers to a vacation home and hook them up to the internet . They just want to make sure you aren't sharing the account with other people in their homes. Now if you hook them up to different phone lines than what you told them is on your account, that might trigger an audit. I had two different phone numbers in my house at different ends, and I used them both on my account once and I got an audit call. I no longer have the second line now and have all phones on the same account now.

But then it would seem to me that account stackers could have receivers in multiple houses yet connected to the internet and avoid getting audited.

Thus yet another case of where the Audit Nazis won't find the actual account stackers but will continue to harass unsuspecting customers with legitimate setups.
you cant have receivers on 2 different internet connections at the same time

DO NOT: be at your home watching tv on receiver 1 with your internet active
while the other receiver is at a second home plugged in to a different internet connection(this is how dish would attempt to audit you by seeing 2 different IP addresses online in your account at the same time)

DO: if you plan on using the receiver for personal use while you are not home its okay to use a different connection Keeping in mind another receiver on your account can NOT be connected to a DIFFERENT internet connection

This is NOT an account stacker help thread, this is just for the people who move their receivers while they are not home and for them to avoid the fee on dual tuner receivers.

I have been doing it for a while now, no tuner 2 charge has popped up on my dish online account.or on my bill.

Let me try to say this differently. As long as all receivers are in the SAME house using the same internet connection , DISH doesn't care where it is located. You could take all your receivers to a vacation home and hook them up to the internet . They just want to make sure you aren't sharing the account with other people in their homes. Now if you hook them up to different phone lines than what you told them is on your account, that might trigger an audit. I had two different phone numbers in my house at different ends, and I used them both on my account once and I got an audit call. I no longer have the second line now and have all phones on the same account now.
+1 ^

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense.

I know someone who got called by the audit Nazis once, and it was because the installer didn't plug a phone line into a 311. Never mind that there was a phone jack nearby.

They passed, but the audit guys were not at all pleasant. They actually told the customer that they were taking too long to get from room to room (never mind that they asked them to read the numbers off a receiver on the 2nd floor, then off one in the basement). I'd hate to see what happens if they call someone with limited mobility.

I got audited aswell back at my dads,we rented the second floor and had a receiver up there, that receiver was never plugged into a phone line(there was not one available up there and powerline phone jacks never worked)
, one day the nazi team calls and I cant give them the number for that rooms receiver due to the renter not being home and having the room locked everytime they called
so my dad is now limited to only 1 receiver due to these nazis,I am thinking of buying him a 322 since its dual tuners may be worth having only 1 receiver on your account.

ever since I have been doing everything to take advantage of what I pay for, and I proceed with caution everytime I move,modify my setup(not talking about hacks just about doing things like moving it and using different connections)

also if an IP did matter, you could just rent an SSH proxy so your receiver would show up as the same IP no matter what connection it is using.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)