About how good are pre amps specifically the radio shack one?

I had the antenna on the roof. ITs about 25FT worth of cable away from the receiver. Im sure its the antenna not getting a good enough signal I am really going to go with the 4228 and 7777 this way I know for a fact I have the best and if it dont work then then I know theres nothing else I can do.

WCAX's final channel looks like it will be 22 instead of 53. Channels 52 thru 69 not be used for TV after Feb 2009. They will be auctioned off for other wireless services. Any channels in that range will be moved by 2/09. The final TV channels will be 2 thru 51, with most being in the 7 thru 51 range.

You're about right. If that combo doesn't work, there's not much more you can do except raise the antenna height or possibly stack two 4228s together, which for most people isn't practical.

Remember that the 4228 is a high gain, very directional antenna, and must be precisely aimed. If you aim it in the general direction of the towers, but can't get a lock on digital, try aiming it for the best reception of an analog channel at the same location if possible. Then tweak the aim for the highest signal strength on a digital channel.

Ok I can/will do that. I just wish warren elec had em stock they are out till monday maybe :( I wanted to get this going soon. Oh well. Other places had it but im not pay 50+ ofr it when i can get it for 39.99 plus 16 for shipping from warren. and get a the 7777 for 55 plus one more buck for shipping.

Most stations are currently broadcasting an analog signal on one frequency and a digital signal on the other frequency. The stations will be able to choose which frequency to keep, the analog or the digital frequency, when they have to turn off the analog broadcast. In Atlanta the ABC station(WSB) is Channel 2 Analog(39 Digital). They will have to choose whether to turn off channel 2 or channel 39. I don't know if any stations have announced their choices yet, but I find it hard to believe that WSB will give up channel 2 in favor of becoming "Channel 39".

I think it is a little early to say that the majority of stations with an option will stay above channel 7.

Most (not all) stations that have initally been assigned a lowband VHF digital channel or currently have a lowband VHF analog channel have opted to give up their lowband VHF slot in favor of a higher channel with less impulse noise, lightning and tropo interence problems. Stations staying in the lowband post-analog are mostly out in the boonies of WY, MT, AZ, TX etc. I can't find the URL for 2nd round channel elections, but will post it when I do.

Our local PBS affiliate's lowband VHF digital has been a miserable failure. A/V dropouts during lightning or when a light switch or appliance is turned on or off, make watching it frustating. They are moving to a highband VHF in 2nd round ch elections.

I have not seen the channel elections to which you are referring. If you find the link please post. I will be very interested in seeing how my local stations are going to end up.

jmcgee

Searching the FCC database it appears you don't have a single full power digital station available. There are a few construction permits and applications issued for stations in Burlington and one low-power station (WVNY). There is also an application for a station on ch 18 in St Johsbury but I think it's going to be another year or so for your area before you get any significant DTV.

BTW, I just visited your area this past October. Loved it, beautiful, DTV or not.

Actually I know for a fact PBS out of littleton is working cause I can pick up a part of a singnal just not a great one. And all the others that they show for like WVNY and WCAX and WFFF I know none of them are in DTV no matter what they say cause the towers they are going up on arent up wont be done till this summer. And supposed the ST J 18 which is Vermont PBS wont be up till this summer either. I know that WNNE south of me (no chance in hell of getting cause of mountains) is in DTV cause WALTINVT gets it but hes on the other side ofhte mountains behind me. I called our local SAT guy in town hes been around for years and knows his POOP. He says im wasting my time the only one i mihgt be able to get is littleton PBS he says none of the others will I get cause of terrain. So I guess Ill just have to wait and hope either Dish does my locals in HD soon or charter. Sigh....... I miss phoenix. yes vermont is very pretty just not advanced at all for technical stuff. Very low cell coverage (getting better). High Speed Internet is not the best very limited and pricey. My LEC is Fairpoint NE out of Maine. I pay 44.95 for 1.5/512 PPPOA service. And well DTV service you already know :).

jmcgee_jr said:
...He says im wasting my time the only one i mihgt be able to get is littleton PBS he says none of the others will I get cause of terrain. So I guess Ill just have to wait and hope either Dish does my locals in HD...
You may be able to get the big 4 networks on DirecTV. They're free if you have the HD package and your address qualifies for them.

Enter your address and ZIP code at this site to find out:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com

ABC Eligible
CBS WCAX-DT Grade B (moderate signal) Funny cause they dont even have a antenna up yet. I have called them and asked.
FOX Eligible
NBC Eligible

jmcgee_jr said:
I need one that is VHF and UHF. You think this is a crappy antenna?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family

Nope, I don't think its a "crap" antenna, but it may be way more than you "need". I am using the next one down from that one and it works just fine for me, although I am not as far away from the "antenna farms" as you are. I do, however, have a major metro area that I have to get across (lots of skyscrapers, 2 general aviation airports, etc.), so I think your "reach" will be much better than what I can get.

The 4228 that people recommend will pick up the high end of the VHF band (although someone else will have to tell you how well) from what I have read. I am like you, I HAVE to have a VHF / UHF combo and channel 8 did not work on that UHF rat shack antenna for me, and its not a problem (read that as: crystal clear all the time) from the backside of the one I am using.

However, you need to give it a shot and modify as needed, as none of us are going to get duplicate results, just some things that have worked for us. :D

Ok thanks I wonder what has more problems metro or terrain? I still dont know what to do I havent decided yet. I called my local SAT/TV guy whos been around for years. He says he doesnt think Ill get anything and was very suprised I got the little signal of PBS in littleton that I did get. I just dont want to waste my $$$ but I also hate the feelign that I didnt try everything I could of. Maybe ill jsut get the 4228 for about 50 bucks online delivered and try that it would be alot cheaper then the 160" RS antenna and its alot smaller.

ronjohn said:
... I find it hard to believe that WSB will give up channel 2 in favor of becoming "Channel 39".
WSB chose channel 39 as their final digital channel in the first round of channel elections, and if their application list is correct, they did not file any application to go back to channel 2 in the 2nd round of channel elections. They have also already applied for and built a completely full power transmitter system on channel 39.

So, it looks like they'll become WSB-DT 39 post analog.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)