about self install and service activation with D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
I am reading, learning and beginning to buy equipment. So far I've purchased cable, connectors and connector tools... I am putting together my own system as much as a hobby as my slow switch over from cable to satellite tv... I intend to subsequently buy a triple LNB dish and the appropriate receivers, get them all hooked up and then learn how to point the dish and use the receiver's capabilities to detect and optimize signals... At least I think that is the path one must take... And then it comes time to request service activation... Do I simply call D* and say I want to order a package like total choice or whatever??? And that I want HD service to one location but just SD to another??? Or does all that have to happen when I buy the receivers from wherever??? How does the smart chip in each receiver play into all of this?? I have to admit that is the one part I would love to hear someone walk through, the process of how D* actually gets you set up for a particular service package if you do a self install... Can anyone help??? Any info would be much appreciated... diitto...

Activation is done after you get the receivers.

Doesn't matter if you buying used or new Directv Equiptment
You still need to call in to directv yourself and order the programming.

If you buying new stuff, then you need to activate programming within 30 days of receiving the Directv recievers, or you get hit with an $250 fee

diitto said:
I am reading, learning and beginning to buy equipment. So far I've purchased cable, connectors and connector tools... I am putting together my own system as much as a hobby as my slow switch over from cable to satellite tv... I intend to subsequently buy a triple LNB dish and the appropriate receivers, get them all hooked up and then learn how to point the dish and use the receiver's capabilities to detect and optimize signals... At least I think that is the path one must take... And then it comes time to request service activation... Do I simply call D* and say I want to order a package like total choice or whatever??? And that I want HD service to one location but just SD to another??? Or does all that have to happen when I buy the receivers from wherever??? How does the smart chip in each receiver play into all of this?? I have to admit that is the one part I would love to hear someone walk through, the process of how D* actually gets you set up for a particular service package if you do a self install... Can anyone help??? Any info would be much appreciated... diitto...

I don't know where you purchased all those stuffs, but I do understand, if all these stuffs were purchased from any electronices store or at Home Depot, you are paying too much for the self install. From your list, you also needs look for ground block and ground wire. I see lots self installation look for service call within the first month, the shorttest I encountered is in 4 days. The old set up may still work on the older equipments but do sometime not good on new equipments.

You can has HD service in one room and SD service at others, the matter is the service package and the receiver you picked.

Like hdtvtechno said you order channels after it is installed.

You order the channel packages you want and they are available to all the receivers on your account. Obviously, the HD channels will only show up on HD receivers. You do not need to spell it out for them, it sorts itself out.

You are charged a flat fee of $4.99 for each receiver after the first on the account.

Eddie

But I think you may wind up buying one new receiver -- I recall a rep saying DTV will not reuse cards AND will not send out a card to open a NEW account, so one would need a new receiver that came with an unused card, and then, when the account is opened, you can request cards (at $20 each) to add other used receivers. You may want to check whether this is all true while planning your system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)