about surge protectors on hd sat signals...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi... Can anyone share any knowledge about whether or not it is wise, needed, essential, silly (?) to install a surge protector for an A/V system (HR10-250, Pioneer amplifier, Panasonic plasma tv) that also has sat(in) and sat(out) surge protected feed throughs?? Are those coax surge protectors hype or something one should really hook up??? And is there truth to what I've read a couple places about some of even the more expensive surge protectors not being able to pass hdtv signals??? Currently I have an old and inexpensive surge protector on the power outlet by my A/V system and I am trying to decide what is the best thing to buy to correctly protect the system... I just got my D* system up and running a week ago... Any input would be much appreciated... thanks...

This is only a personal opinion and not a factual answer, but my personal feeling on surge protecting a satellite signal is silly. If you system was installed correctly and properly grounded to meet NEC code you should be good to go. The only way I can see a surge into your coax that feeds your receiver would be a directv lightning strike to your dish and at that point a surge protector would be the last of your worries as this would probably be more damage/fire caused by the lightning. I'd rather up my insurance coverage a little than putting money into protecting a "free" receiver. As far as surge protecting the rest of your equipment the answer is YES YES YES including the phone line!!! local surges are produced when lightning or any other High voltage source comes in contact with lower voltage lines. That top line on you electric pole outside your house is 8300 volts. it's only converted to 120volts after it enters the transformer on the pole and then feeds the house. If that line (or lightning) contacts any line between the transformer and you home you would get a major jolt to your house. Simple voltage spikes would also be produced in other situations. There's too many to mention. So my final thought... surge protect everything that runs into your home entertainment system. Play around with a surge protector that has sat in/out. check your signal strengths with and without it. check your HD Channels and see if there is any signal loss. I'm sure it will vary depending on individual surge protectors.
Good luck and happy surge protecting!

Mine too is only a personal opinion. But I think a lightning strike does not have to be a true direct hit to take out a lot of equipment. I experienced a "near hit" and lost 2 TVs, a VCR, an antenna amp, a telephone, DSL modem and more. By "near hit" I mean there is not charred corner on my roof. My antenna looked none the worse, the amp on the mast wasn't melted or anything but had fried components inside. My daughter was home and said the sound blast was reeeeeal loud so I know it was close. (The only good thing to come of this was my wife used this as the impetus to push me into buying my HD system. :) )

I guess my point is that even a near hit can send a charge down multiple types of lines. If your going to get a surge surpressor why not get one that protects everything. I got a Panamax with both Sat and OTA Ant protection. Apparently there is a difference. It didn't cost that much more. I just hope it all works when (not if) I take another near hit. I live in N. Florida, sometimes referred to as the lightning capitol of the world.

I have a Monster Power Center HTS1600 that I picked up at BEST BUY. No problems passing an HD signal thru it. It has 8 outlets on the back that are surge protected for various equipment. It also cleans the AC power which In my opinion gives you a better picture. I noticed the difference immediately.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)