About to Switch to Dish: A Few Questions

mgoblue99

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I'm contemplating a switch to Dish, and I want to use the following set-up:

Main TV: HD/DVR, dual tuner (DVR Advantage package, America's 250 pkg.)
Room 2: HD tuner & separate DVR (SD); seems to be MUCH cheaper than getting a second HD DVR. If this is wrong, please let me know.
Room 3: regular SD tuner.

This configuration seems very expensive when you start factoring in the per-tuner, per-receiver fees, and the fact that I can't connect any of the boxes to the phone line. Does anyone have ANY suggestions either for different packages or to reduce the per-tuner/receiver fees (a phone-line workaround)?

Also, a few more questions:

1. Do any packages include the $5.99/month local channel fees?

2. Does Dish broadcast national network feeds in addition to locals, or only to areas where local channels aren't available?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

1) All the AT packages drop the price on the locals to $5. That's as good as it gets.

2)Dish is not allowed by court injunction to sell network channels outside that channel's local area to anyone for any reason. See the massive threads discussing this from October last year. The networks themselved do not allow their signal to be sold PERIOD. But distant network channels are available TO THOSE WHO QUALIFY through NPS All American Direct. This is a separate company but the signal is receiveable through Dish (SD only).

See ya
Tony

Your DVR/receiver setup is a little over my head, especially since you say you don't have phone lines available. However, on the distant networks (national feeds) you can see if you qualify and order these from the following:

https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/

For some additional national feeds, DISH Network offers "superstations" which are several CW (old UPN) and MY (old WB) channels. I think the only way you can see these is to enter your address to see if you qualify for locals. Once at that screen, look below the local channels listings to see the Superstations package.

https://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/prepAddress.do

I guess certain addresses don't qualify for these superstations?

Eric

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)