AC3 audio HDMI question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

John Popper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Central Mexico
I have a coolsat 6000 and I wanted to know if it is possible to listen to AC3 audio feeds via the digital audio output?
I maybe off but would I need to pass the s/pdif cable through an HDMI optical switch and from there to my computer's HDMI jack and listen to the feed in my computer?

any other suggestions if this is not possible? (don't want to spend too much money on this though :D)

I searched around the forum and found 2 recommendations, either the Audigy sound card or the Sonic Voom unit, would these work with the Coolsat 6000?

I've never tried sending the signal to a computer, but I'm using Sonic Voom decoders with both of my Coolsat 6000s and they work great.

I'm using the optical output from the CS6K into the optical input on the SV, then splitting the audio with a stereo mini-to-RCA Y adapter plugged into one of the SV headphone outputs into the RCA audio inputs on the television.

Would I need to pass the s/pdif cable through an HDMI optical switch and from there to my computer's HDMI jack and listen to the feed in my computer?
I've read somewhere on this forum that Coolsat 6000's S/PDIF problem with AC3 sound was fixed in later firmware releases. There is no such thing as "HDMI optical switch". Current consumer grade PC Graphics Cards usually have HDMI or DVI OUT port(s), but no HDMI IN port.

Hey John Popper,

I have a Coolsat 5000 which is basically the same animal as the 6000 (just a few differences). For the AC3 audio use, my Onkyo HT-R530 AV receiver accepts and processes this audio nicely.

The worst thing about the AC3 audio outputs of the Coolsat 5K and 6K is that the audio level is not controllable from the Coolsat. It is pretty much full ON or OFF, no variable control and you have to deal with that via the AV receiver's volume control.

When you get your Sonic Voom connected, I would be interested to hear from you (or others who have this set up already) if the volume control of the Coolsat is variable from the Coolsat control side of it.

RADAR

I use a sonic voom on the CS5000....works pretty good

Radar brings up the point of either on or off for the audio but the TV can control the volume then ;)

I use a sonic voom on the CS5000....works pretty good

Radar brings up the point of either on or off for the audio but the TV can control the volume then ;)

Yep, same with the CS6000, I just use the tv to adjust the volume. The Visionsat IV-200 does allows you to adjust the optical audio output.

The Sonic Voom unit also has a volume control, I leave mine set to max. If you lose power to the SV you may have to turn the volume back up, I think it defaults to the lowest setting with a power cycle.

... I'm using Sonic Voom decoders with both of my Coolsat 6000s and they work great.

I'm using the optical output from the CS6K into the optical input on the SV, then splitting the audio with a stereo mini-to-RCA Y adapter plugged into one of the SV headphone outputs into the RCA audio inputs on the television.

Does all of the audio (analog and AC3) pass through the Sonic Voom with this hookup or just the AC3??? :confused:

If all audio can go through, then just one audio connection would be necessary and that would make Mrs Dishman happy! :D

Does all of the audio (analog and AC3) pass through the Sonic Voom with this hookup or just the AC3??? :confused:

If all audio can go through, then just one audio connection would be necessary and that would make Mrs Dishman happy! :D

Yes, all the audio goes through the Sonic Voom, just one audio connection is needed.

Just one thing to note, the volume control on a Visionsat will adjust the optical output ONLY if the channel is standard MPEG audio (output as PCM). It will have no effect on an AC-3 stream.

the sonic voom I bought on ebay just arrived, glad I got it, it's great, inexpensive and comes with all the cables you need!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)