AC3 Audio Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just checked the PIDs. VPID=0101, APID=65535, PPID=0101. Shouldn't the APID=0102 ? I just downloaded ChannelMaster, but I've never used it before. Is it difficult?

Sonic Voom Headphone.....
New Sonic Voom surround sound headphone New Sealed PKG - eBay (item 400021935553 end time Jan-10-09 18:57:00 PST)

Connect to receiver via Optical Cable and attach speakers, or use the headphones.
I don't think it outputs 5.1 surround sound, but you will be able to hear AC3 channels in stereo.

Like Lak7 said.
You can connect a set of cheap powered computer speakers to the Sonic Voom decoder box instead of using the headphones that come with it.
It works, and it's cheap. Currently what I have setup is an adapter (1/8" stereo jack to 2 RCA coax plugs) that plugs between the Voom decoder box and my audio receiver. When I get time I plan to try building an adapter to branch out the remaining "3.1" channels from the headphone plug...
If you get one of the Voom boxes you will see what I mean.
They are easy as pie to set up... no instructions required...

I just checked the PIDs. VPID=0101, APID=65535, PPID=0101. Shouldn't the APID=0102 ? I just downloaded ChannelMaster, but I've never used it before. Is it difficult?

Retrojams APID is 16486. For Coolsat 5000 receiver, use your remote and select the channel for Retrojams, then select menue, then select Channels, then select Edit Channels, then again select Retrojams from the channel listings, scroll to Edit APID and using number keys on remote type in correct APID code.

Retrojams APID is 16486. For Coolsat 5000 receiver, use your remote and select the channel for Retrojams, then select menue, then select Channels, then select Edit Channels, then again select Retrojams from the channel listings, scroll to Edit APID and using number keys on remote type in correct APID code.

I don't think a PID can be that big. I think the null PID is 8191, and everything else has to be smaller than that. If a PID that big is working, maybe it's being interpreted as base 8192, and the first digits are being ignored. Or else I'm not understanding what's being said.

EDIT: Yep. I just plugged 16486 into Excel and did a MOD(16486,8192), and it came out 102, which is the real APID. Ie 16486-2*8192=102 .

Last edited:
One other factor that I haven't seen mentioned above. With some receivers, on AC3 channels, it isn't enough for the receiver to just have the proper APID. The receiver must also know that the audio is AC3. On some receivers, the only way for the receiver to set the audio as being AC3 is to have it scanned in itself or, if the receiver has a capable channel editor, sometimes the channel editors allow you to set the audio as being AC3. Because of this, some receivers cannot do AC3 on manual channels where you specify the PIDs.
But anyway the point is, that if perhaps you have a poor signal, and when the receiver is scanning in the channels, it may get the PID correct, but due to data errors may not determine that the channel is AC3, or perhaps it may not have scanned in PIDs at all, and yout try to manually create the proper PID, but it gets set as type 3 MPEG instead of type 81 AC3.
My Coolsat 8100 sometimes gives me headaches trying to scan in channels off a weak transponder. Sometimes it misses channels, and when I create them manually, there is absolutely no way to create them if they are AC3, because the receiver assumes that they are MPEG.
Anyway, not sure if that might have been related to the issue here or not, but since a rescan seemed to fix it, it's possible.

CAn others, who have it working, tell us what they have. That number sounds right, but I can not get into my property right now. (I just heard I-5 has now opened --- YEAH !!! NOW if I-90 and 82 are open !! )

102 is definately the correct PID. Looking at it right now with TSREADER, and it works.

Output from TSREADER IS:

Elementary Stream PID 102 (0x0066) AC-3 Audio
AC3: Bitrate 128 Kbps Sample Rate 48 KHz
AC3: Mode complete main Coding 2/0 L, R
AC3: Dolby Surround Mode not indicated
AC3: LFE Mode Off Dialogue normalization -27 dB
Descriptor: ISO639 Language Descriptor
Language: spa
Audio type: undefined

rv1pop-

I thought the number was large to. But that is how it shows up, and the audio AC3 plays on my home theater. I never looked for the audio pid on this station before, never had a problem with it.

But with all the problems with broadcasts on Galaxy 18 lately I have been rescanning the sat several times, maybe this is reason the number shows up as it does? All I can say is that is how it logged in, and is working.

It could also be that my Coolsat has a glich again. I have been doing a great deal of blind scans with it, and some times forget to turn off sort by SID. When this happens, then strange things to showing up. Also I do a lot of loading and channel editing using channel master, there maybe a problem there.

I will manual change the audio to 101 and 122 and see if the AC3 is still paased, then report back.

OK, my Coolsat has problems. Won't allow me to enter 102, this is a used Coolsat I paid a friend $10 for "a repaired model". I will try a factory reset of it later and rescan to see if it comes up as 102. For now the 16486 number works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts