Ac3 audio puzzle

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Hello , I have a new Viewsat Ultra, and I'm trying to determine if it will pass AC-3 audio like the sales info makes it seem. It has one of those S/PDIF outputs on the back, I just bought a new yamaha home theater rec system, and connected it, can't get a sound.
I don't know if I've wasted my money with this Yamaha system, or if my new sat receiver really does NOT pass AC-3 audio. Anybody using one of these new Ultras?
I want the PBS on AMC3 to work!!!!!!! thnks
charles

make sure that the ac3 pass through is turned on in the setup, my fortec na has a on and off for the pass through and the viewsat may also have one.

I have looked thru all the menus, and read the manual but there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it on or off on the VS2000 Ultra. I guess its 'hot' all the time, as it passes the regular audio out thru that $24 cable just fine=I unplugged the reg audio cables just to see. Sound was coming thru on the non-AC3 channels. I will try to contact Viewsatusa after newyears and see if they can help.
thanks
charles

S/PDIF does not necessarily mean AC-3. S/PDIF just means digital audio out, which as you have seen already works on non AC-3 channels for you. Many receivers do not put out AC-3 over this connector though, my Manhattan works the same as you are seeing now.

Dougruss, I have read the Yamaha manual back to front>nothing is mentioned about enabling any jacks, ports , orifices, etc. The spdif cable does work, as I said, as it is passing the non-AC3 digital sound. I think it is just the viewsat receiver. I'd be the last to suggest more regulation but im beginning to wish somebody would step in and set some standards for all this digital video and audio, so people like me wont have to buy 3 diff receivers to cover the various audio/video formats.

thanks demonlord I believe that is the case here. Another 200bucks and I may find one that really does pass ALL of the audio signals or decode them internally.
charles

I looked over a few of the adds and it says it passes through digital audio but it says
nothing about ac3 on the VS2000 Ultra.

Rdel , saw that same info. Remember what they say about 'ass-uming' . I didnt know better, I assumed that digital audio meant ac-3 audio when I was doing the research on what receiver to get. I will try to contact viewsatusa tues and see if they can give me any hope of it working.
charles

Viewsat Ultra- transponder editing

Since I bought this new Ultra I had been looking for a way to edit the PIDs on some channels, I could not see it, nor find any mention of it in the manual.
For anybody buying one, under the Channel Search menu, a tiny icon at bottom says "Add user channel" That is what it does, you can add the pids and then hit ok, the STB searches whatever transponder you are on for those pids.
I apologise for misleading anyone who might look to purchase this rec--my eyes just dont work as well as they did once lol. This is a great receiver, but apparently it still is not able to pass thru AC-3 signals on its optical audio-out jack (s/pdif) Maybe a software update will do this soon.
charles

Rdel , saw that same info. Remember what they say about 'ass-uming' . I didnt know better, I assumed that digital audio meant ac-3 audio when I was doing the research on what receiver to get. I will try to contact viewsatusa tues and see if they can give me any hope of it working.
charles

Been there and done that turbosat:)

I'm thinking about asking our sponsors (sadoun, gosat, AV sat sales and the rest) if they could put a couple of different units to the side for rental. You could rent a fta box for a few weeks for $20 or so and see if you like the unit and want to purchase it. It would help the members here and also bring more loyalty and sales to the sponsors

Let me know what all of you think
rdel

fta rental - thoughts & alternatives

...gettin' pretty far off topic, but...

I had a bunch of comments on renting, but have erased them all.
If I were a vendor, I don't think I'd want to rent them out.

What might make some sense, is to send out evaluation units to the group's designated reviewers.
Perhaps two weeks with each of several reviewers.
Then, the unit would be sent to a lucky member, in some sort of random drawing.
....or better yet, sold at discount as "used'.

The vendors could "apply" to be the source of a particular device to be reviewed.
The review would mention the source, even though the item might be available from other of our sponsors.
That would give the supplying vendor a silent leg up in advertizing.
The users/members would have to shop around to see if other vendors had the item.

I rely on the reviewers to tell the truth.
So far, they have demonstrated the honesty and independence to make this work
The neutrality of the review is the watchword.
...something like Consumer's Reports... :up

Not every product is a gem, but it might fit my need if I knew the facts...
...even though you might not want it.

I had a bunch of comments on renting, but have erased them all.
If I were a vendor, I don't think I'd want to rent them out.

Just rent them to the members here, If they charge $20 a week per unit and if a dozen members rented the unit that would be $240 plus they can sell the unit for for a discount. Even if only six members rent the machine that's $120.
I still like the idea and I hope one of them follows through with it.
There's a lot of units I would like to try (I like my classic na but it has some quirks that bother me)
rdel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)