Access Card Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scroll

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
I'm selling a receiver and someone PMed me asking what my 6 digit code in the bottom right of the access card was.

I was suspicious of this request and checked his recent purchases and saw at least 3 card readers bought so I did not respond to the PM.

Does this code just refer to information about the type of card or is this some sort of security measure that less than ethical folks might need to do something they have no business doing?

I ask because I wonder if I should perhaps report this user to the auction site.

Bottom right? I beleive that tells them what ROM revision the card is and some cards are preferred by the hacker community. Only thing a buyer should want is the R and S numbers to check for balances and lease/own status.

Having said that, reporting them will probably not do anything, maybe get the account blocked, but that is about it probably.

Thanks. While I'd like to get a fair price I want no part of that sort of thing.

I figured the card# & receiver ID was all I needed to include for legitimate verification purposes. Thanks for confirming!

Btw someone asked me what [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]102 Rev B is. [/FONT]

I'm firmly believe in disclose any info about the card and a receiver what could be read from labels, prints and System Info screen. I wouldn't be concern about questions related to that data - it will be eventually seen by your buyer, also if Dish allows to see the characters, so be it, it is totally legal.
If you have concern about WHY the person asking the number, you're always could ask him directly. We shouldn't guess here at public forums and you'll be free from our speculations or misleading accusations.

If I would be in charge to establish rules for such sales, I would push mandatory requirement to post _readable_ pictures from back side label, screen-shot of System Info page(s) and clear picture of back side the smart card.

All that info will allow a buyer make well informed decision: is R00/S00 match the card and receiver ? is the numbers allow to subscribe the box ? if the card is current or you'll be force by Dish to buy new ? etc ...

That "ROM102 Rev B" data you can obtain from second page of System Info, it's just SW version of the card.

Thanks.

FWIW I later got a PM from someone else wanting to know if I would sell just the card. I decided it best just not to reply to either.

While I know that I have no control over what someone later does with something they bought from me I would prefer to avoid the appearance of evil. And I'd hate to have it come back and haunt me years later when I would have a hard time proving I had sold. Sure it's in the auction title, but what if the auction site goes out of business or I close my account? No proof.

Just keep your emails and don't worry - those who will investigate such case have ability to dig in archives of the auctioneer or your email provider regardless of date.
Actually, you're overreacting - that person will need to proof the deal, plus sat providers keep track of cards/receivers in their databases indefinitely.
But if the purchase was directed by authorities, then it will hit your back in case of dark spots what could be discovered in the IRD or SC.

I was always amazed when I listed a receiver for sale how many people just wanted to know about the smart card. I would say at least 75% of the interested buyers, if not more.

Dish could probably find a good amount of their hackers by putting up some ads selling receivers and seeing what the interested parties ask about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)