Access cards

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Danny001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2012
Bangor, ME
So I added a new receiver, and gave the wrong access card number. My receiver came with 2 cards in the box, both sealed in case one was expired. Each card comes with a label, and I gave the number off the label for the card that is still sealed... I didn't wait with the phone agent, assuming it would go through no problem..Needless to say, the activation didn't go through. Can I just put the other card in and it will work? Do I have to call again or Can I change this online?

So I added a new receiver, and gave the wrong access card number. My receiver came with 2 cards in the box, both sealed in case one was expired. Each card comes with a label, and I gave the number off the label for the card that is still sealed... I didn't wait with the phone agent, assuming it would go through no problem..Needless to say, the activation didn't go through. Can I just put the other card in and it will work? Do I have to call again or Can I change this online?

I would try the other card first ...
If that doesn't work, (which I really don't know if it will or not, but would try anyways) then call back in, I don't think you can change the numbers online, almost certain of this.

It was simply an error of reading them the wrong last 4 digits. The label in the box was for the card I did not insert, so I wrote the number of the card I inserted on the label in Pen. for some reason I read the phone agent the last 4 digits of the card I did not insert. Not sure why, I wasn't drinking LOL.. So when I call them, and she asks why I had 2 cards in the box, I mean, all I can say is I don't know. I ordered the receiver from Ebay, everything was sealed, they activated it no problem,... Anyone see any issues... I mean it could very well have been an error on the part of the ebay dealer?

It was simply an error of reading them the wrong last 4 digits. The label in the box was for the card I did not insert, so I wrote the number of the card I inserted on the label in Pen. for some reason I read the phone agent the last 4 digits of the card I did not insert. Not sure why, I wasn't drinking LOL.. So when I call them, and she asks why I had 2 cards in the box, I mean, all I can say is I don't know. I ordered the receiver from Ebay, everything was sealed, they activated it no problem,... Anyone see any issues... I mean it could very well have been an error on the part of the ebay dealer?

Well, the ebay dealer doesn't assign the cards, they are packaged from D* that way as far as I have always known, I think it was just an error that happened to slip thru.

So, I'm gonna guess that the other card did NOT work when you tried it ?

Yes, I would call D* and tell them that you got 2 cards in the box and read the wrong one ... they will fix it and may ask for you to send the other one back.

If I'm reading the posts correctly.. Assuming you gave them the correct Receiver ID number, you should be able to put in the access card with the number you gave them, go to directv.com and resend the authorization and be good to go since everything went through ok when you were on the phone with that RID and Access Card. Shouldn't be any reason to call in again.
However, if for some reason you do, they can fix it.. but be prepared to answer a lot of questions. Lots of people try to sell leased receivers which is a big no-no.

Now here is the weird part, when I go onto my online account under equipment tab, and I click "more info" on the receiver with the wrong card, it lists the card number of the card that is still sealed in and NOT in the receiver.. How does that happen? Does each receiver already have a designated card assigned to it?? Now I wonder if I can just insert the card that is sealed, and refresh to get it going... i'm so confused, I can just imagine how much you're heads are spinning :S

They do know what cards go with what receivers when they are packed.. however it will probably not be as simple as you just swapping cards - even though the correct number is listed on the account.

Back in the day, the card would automatically "marry" to the first receiver that it is installed in.. This was to prevent theft of cards and also to prevent you from bringing your card with Sunday Ticket over to your buddy's house. When access card swaps were being done by D*, there was a procedure to do it which triggered the receiver to kill the old card then marry to the new one. I can't see it not still working this way but I don't know what the procedure would be on the current receivers.

Just call them and tell them what's up. They understand stuff happens. If they want you to send them the other card, tell them to send you a trackable mailer.

Now here is the weird part, when I go onto my online account under equipment tab, and I click "more info" on the receiver with the wrong card, it lists the card number of the card that is still sealed in and NOT in the receiver.. How does that happen? Does each receiver already have a designated card assigned to it?? Now I wonder if I can just insert the card that is sealed, and refresh to get it going... i'm so confused, I can just imagine how much you're heads are spinning :S

This is what I said to try in the first post ...

Yes, each recvr has an assigned card when it leaves the facility.

They do know what cards go with what receivers when they are packed.. however it will probably not be as simple as you just swapping cards - even though the correct number is listed on the account.

Back in the day, the card would automatically "marry" to the first receiver that it is installed in.. This was to prevent theft of cards and also to prevent you from bringing your card with Sunday Ticket over to your buddy's house. When access card swaps were being done by D*, there was a procedure to do it which triggered the receiver to kill the old card then marry to the new one. I can't see it not still working this way but I don't know what the procedure would be on the current receivers.

Just call them and tell them what's up. They understand stuff happens. If they want you to send them the other card, tell them to send you a trackable mailer.

Jersey,
I don't believe the recvrs do this any more, I think it was software that D* added to the datastream back in the day when they were doing the card swaps, I believe its gone now or you would see it pop up when a wrong card goes in the slot instead of the "Wrong Card Inserted " message.

I'm sure thay can add it again when they do the next Card Swap.

I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember it being a hidden menu or something when they swapped my F cards to H and then H to Hu. It wasn't simply swapping the cards. I had all RCA receivers though, and I switched to cable right before they went to P4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts